Australian Speedway Championships - round one Gillman Speedway Adelaide

Geopug2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Round one of the 2023 500cc solo speedway titles have been held at Adelaide’s Gillman Speedway Tonight, 3/1/23.
The final saw Jack Holder off red; Max Fricke off blue; Justin Sedgeman off white and Jason Doyle from the outside yellow gate.
Doyle finished first, followed by Jack Holder, Max Fricke and Justin Sedgeman.
Rohan Tungate was excluded after clipping Justin Sedgeman in semi 2, Sam Masters was out after crashing in the same semi and Brady Kurtz was unable to take his place in the semis after a nasty crash in his final round heat. I think Chris Holder finished fifth.
The next round is in Albury on the 7th, then Kurri Kurri on the 9th finishing in Brisbane on the 11th.

I just noticed there will be a livestream of round two from Diamond Park Albury/wodonga on January 7th. It is also $25 and is available through the Albury Wodonga Motorcycle Club Facebook page. The livestream appears to being handled by a different company to the Gillman event.

Reactions: COL
I just noticed there will be a livestream of round two from Diamond Park Albury/wodonga on January 7th. It is also $25 and is available through the Albury Wodonga Motorcycle Club Facebook page. The livestream appears to being handled by a different company to the Gillman event.
$25 to watch? Sorry but I think that's a bloody rip off for a sport which is all but defunct.

No need to shoot the messenger. I have nothing to do with who provides the livestream or the costs. A livestream, (particularly like the ones we get in Australia) are nowhere near as good as getting to the track to watch and smell the action. But a livestream is better than nothing at all.
Speedway reportedly began at Maitland Showground 100 years ago this year, and while it has had its ups and down in Australia is huge in some parts of Europe, in particular Poland. Australia has a great history in speedway including early World Champions Lionel Van Pragg in 1936; Bathurst's Bluey Wilkinson in 1938; Jason Crump in 2004; 2006 and 2009; Appin's Chris Holder in 2012 and Newcastle's Jason Doyle in 2017. There are numerous Australian riders competing in leagues in Britain, Poland, Sweden and Denmark and currently have three riders, Jason Doyle, Jack Holder and Max Fricke in the Speedway Grand Prix Series. In fact Fricke and Jack Holder won the 2022 Speedway of Nations which really is a World Pairs title.
Most motorcycle speedway is run in Australia by clubs with volunteers. It is not professional and can't match the big leagues overseas. So Shanadoo, if you want to help, get along to North Brisbane Speedway on Jan 11th for the final round of this year's Australian title. The sport could use all the support it can get...

$25 to watch? Sorry but I think that's a bloody rip off for a sport which is all but defunct.
No need to shoot the messenger. I have nothing to do with who provides the livestream or the costs. A livestream, (particularly like the ones we get in Australia) are nowhere near as good as getting to the track to watch and smell the action. But a livestream is better than nothing at all.
Speedway reportedly began at Maitland Showground 100 years ago this year, and while it has had its ups and down in Australia is huge in some parts of Europe, in particular Poland. Australia has a great history in speedway including early World Champions Lionel Van Pragg in 1936; Bathurst's Bluey Wilkinson in 1938; Jason Crump in 2004; 2006 and 2009; Appin's Chris Holder in 2012 and Newcastle's Jason Doyle in 2017. There are numerous Australian riders competing in leagues in Britain, Poland, Sweden and Denmark and currently have three riders, Jason Doyle, Jack Holder and Max Fricke in the Speedway Grand Prix Series. In fact Fricke and Jack Holder won the 2022 Speedway of Nations which really is a World Pairs title.
Most motorcycle speedway is run in Australia by clubs with volunteers. It is not professional and can't match the big leagues overseas. So Shanadoo, if you want to help, get along to North Brisbane Speedway on Jan 11th for the final round of this year's Australian title. The sport could use all the support it can get...
I personally think $25 per meeting a little steep, I paid $30 to watch 2 weeks of Isle of Man TT earlier this year. $30 to $40 to watch the whole series would be closer the money ( just personal opinion).

Solo Speedway is definitely not dead as explained by Geopug2. I enjoy watch the Solos 4 riders for 4 laps no brakes very close racing.

I agree as far as speedway is concerned you can't beat being there, the spectacular action, noise, smell & atmosphere.

SBS in the past has broadcast the world championships featuring the names mentioned above.

Son rode Brisbane showground [Eka} every Saturday night until the bikes were cancelled. Rode around the provincial tracks with me in tow for a few years previously and after. Like most riders from that period, when they quit they've had enough.

Apologies … earlier in this thread I neglected to mention South Australia’s Jack Yound who won the World Championships in 1951 and 1952.