Australian Speedway Championships - Round 3 Kurri Kurri 9/1/23

Geopug2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
2017 World Champion Jason Doyle had to use all his experience and skill to fight off a determined challenge from young gun Jack Holder in the third round of the Australian Speedway 500cc solo championships at Kurri Kurri Speedway.
Jack Holder, the current World Speedway of Nations champion and younger brother to the 2012 World Champion Chris, almost had a perfect night, winning every one of his heats and his semi final only to be beaten by Doyle in the final.
Doyle on the other hand won his first two heats before picking up two seconds and then a win in his fifth race.
However in the semi final, pitted against Max Fricke, Brady Kurtz and Chris Holder, Doyle was pushed wide and fell in first corner bunching. Initially there was concern for Doyle as he lay motionless on the track .
However the officials ruled "all four back" and second time round Doyle made a better starts and finished behind Cowra's Brady Kurtz to book a place in the final.
Victoria's Max Fricke finished third and was eliminated along with the older Holder brother Chris.
It was a night for Fricke, who is a three times Australian Champion, would probably like to forget. Equipment failure saw him out of one heat and by night's end he could only amass 11 points.
The final saw Jack Holder off red; Brady Kurtz off blue; Rohan Tungate off white and Doyle off yellow. Doyle finished first, followed by Jack Holder, Rohan Tungate and Brady Kurtz.
The final round will be held at North Brisbane on Wednesday (11th) night.
My points score has -
1 Jason Doyle NSW 50 points
2 Jack Holder NSW 47 points
3 Max Fricke Vic 39 points
4 Rohan Tungate NSW 38 points
5 Brady Kurtz NSW 34 points
6= Josh Pickering NSW 31 points
Justin Sedgeman Vic 31 points
8 Chris Holder NSW 30 points

Rockhampton's Zane Keleher picked up 6 points for a total of 14.

Max Fricke only picked up eight points ( not 11 as in my previous post) for the night giving him a comp total of 36 not 39. My error. Only a miracle could see him win his fourth Australian title from so far back with just one round to go.