Australian made 203 for sale in England

Not Australian assembled. Sunroof, French bumpers and hub caps, 15 inch wheels, 1958 nose trim. But as we've seen before buyers and sellers prefer their own interpretation of reality.

Looks like a bitza. Chassis number quoted indicates early to mid 1955. Instrument panel is post February 1959 (with temperature gauge and clock). Nose badge is post September 1958. The lack of trafficators indicates post September 1956 so the quoted number may be the engine unless the trafficator holes have been bogged up. Still has ignition advance control so that bit must be before May 1956. Being RHD drive it could originally have been South Africa or NZ assembly??

The UK was never a 203 market directly catered to by Sochaux?

The UK banned the import of private cars in 1940 until 1951 and the 203 was launched there in 1952. Much too expensive compared to British cars but they were well respected even if sales were limited. Remained on sale until the end of 1959.
Tom Knowles had the Peugeot franchise from 1938. He was allowed to sell commercials notably the 202 van before 1951. There were numbers of 203 diplomatic and private imports into the UK before restrictions were lifted. Edward Eves, The Autocar Midland Editor had a 203.

Russell has mentioned RHD production regarding Australian CKD components being assembled prior (?) … wonder where our chassis numbers fit in that whole sequence, ie batches or otherwise …
I really like black 203s in old photos, but have yet to see it quite the same in modern examples.
Steering column has lost all originality, dashboard embellishments wrong way up - as far as I’m concerned …
still, none are perfect.
At least it lives and has been loved, wherever it came from.

Last edited:
It may well have been imported from the Continent. Were sunroofs available on South African built cars? The few I've seen photos of didn't have them. They weren't easy for a small assembly operation to do. The 1958 SA model I was offered in the 1960's didn't have one and the finish wasn't outstanding.
In 1962 The Autocar did a second hand vehicle test of a 1960 model that had been imported duty free by a serviceman returning from a German posting. So there were many ways a 203 could find its way into the UK. When the M1 was opened it became desirable for a car to be able to cruise at 70 mph. In 1958 Distributors Peugeot were advertising the 203 had a 70 mph cruising speed. The Autocar opinion of the 1960 model was that it would hold 70 if all was right but just.

It may well have been imported from the Continent. Were sunroofs available on South African built cars? The few I've seen photos of didn't have them. They weren't easy for a small assembly operation to do. The 1958 SA model I was offered in the 1960's didn't have one and the finish wasn't outstanding.
In 1962 The Autocar did a second hand vehicle test of a 1960 model that had been imported duty free by a serviceman returning from a German posting. So there were many ways a 203 could find its way into the UK. When the M1 was opened it became desirable for a car to be able to cruise at 70 mph. In 1958 Distributors Peugeot were advertising the 203 had a 70 mph cruising speed. The Autocar opinion of the 1960 model was that it would hold 70 if all was right but just.
My SA 1958/59 model didn't have a sunroof.