Aussiefrogs breakdown service

tok403

Fellow Frogger
I was still are on my way Mudgee for some 203 bits. I had the option of drive over big branch or hit on coming truck. I took branch option short story took out speedo drive tried bunging with no more caps worked a a couple hundred k’s them spat out all oil and stuffed gearbox.
Robbo to rescue with new box. A96327A5-78C0-4DDB-BD58-A0E10E687F40.jpg

And just when he was about to reinstall the heavens opened up.
Not drought breaking rain but it sure helps the farmers a little bit

Brings back memories of replacing an axle on my 203c on the side of the road, opposite the Kalkallo pub.

We didn't have mobiles in the early 70s , fortunately I used the Pub's phone and rang my mate to bring me another axle.

The broken piece was stuck in diff , so we had to drain the diff and pull the axles tubes off. The Highway Patrol dudes were fascinated watching.

Breaking axles was commonplace in my 203, so after that I carried a spare axle.

I remember Dad driving to jenolan caves along the road off the highway when I was very young and breaking an axle in what I think was a 203. Might have been a 403. He owned a series of 203, 403, 404, and 504’s but this would’ve been late 60’s or perhaps very early 70’s.
He wasn’t very handy though, so we waited for a tow truck and was the end of our day out!

breaking an axle in what I think was a 203.

repairing this damage to a fella's 403, on the side of the road, was how I came to drive peugeots

loved it so much on the test drive I had to have 6 or 7 of them.

later, saw the fellow and asked how the car was going? he said he'd left it in the street and the council had confiscated it, he gave me the keys and I went round to the council depot and they let me have it for $25

:cheers:

Great stories that remind us the core thing about Aussie frogs willingness to help others in trouble, when I was a kid, my Dad taught me what he said was the Australian way to always pull over and lend a hand. That sort of went by the board in later years as more could afford the pleasure of driving.

Most old timers seem to blame that on the era of the FJ onwards,but good to see it among froggers.

Ken