Audi in a hillclimb

Finally got around to watching it......:eek:
Nearly had to strp my self to the computer chair so I didn't fall off.
And to think it was all with a stick shift b/box. Nothing and I repaet nithing would make me take even a finger off the wheel at those speeds....where di I sign up

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
Finally got around to watching it......:eek:
Nearly had to strp my self to the computer chair so I didn't fall off.
And to think it was all with a stick shift b/box. Nothing and I repaet nithing would make me take even a finger off the wheel at those speeds....where di I sign up
You reckon it's a stick? Wap,wap,wap,wap, I reckon it has to be SMG..

SMG transmission for the pure joy of shifting gears.

The seven-speed SMG transmission offers all the benefits of the sequential gearbox concept: The driver is able to shift gears either via the selector lever in the centre console or from paddles on the steering wheel, without having to press a clutch pedal. Instead, the driver can even keep his foot on the accelerator while shifting gears. And unlike automatic transmission, the Sequential SMG Gearbox does not need a torque converter taking up energy and reducing the car’s performance.
The SMG transmission shifts all gears electrohydraulically with all control units operating by wire, that is, without any mechanical connections. Both the SMG hydraulic unit and the gearshift actuators are integrated in the transmission housing. Whenever the driver wishes to shift gears, the control unit activates the appropriate solenoid valves within thousandths of a second, setting the hydraulic system as required. Now the hydraulic fluid under a high level of system pressure of up to 90 bar is able to flow into the clutch master cylinder within fractions of a second, opening the clutch in the process. This, in turn, serves to activate four hydraulic cylinders in the gearshift actuator controlled by solenoid valves in the hydraulic unit. The four hydraulic cylinders then serve ultimately to shift the gears by way of four separate gearshift rods. And when down-shifting, the engine automatically “blips” the throttle between gears.

:D

biologist said:
SMG transmission for the pure joy of shifting gears.

The seven-speed SMG transmission offers all the benefits of the sequential gearbox concept: The driver is able to shift gears either via the selector lever in the centre console or from paddles on the steering wheel, without having to press a clutch pedal. Instead, the driver can even keep his foot on the accelerator while shifting gears. And unlike automatic transmission, the Sequential SMG Gearbox does not need a torque converter taking up energy and reducing the car’s performance.
The SMG transmission shifts all gears electrohydraulically with all control units operating by wire, that is, without any mechanical connections. Both the SMG hydraulic unit and the gearshift actuators are integrated in the transmission housing. Whenever the driver wishes to shift gears, the control unit activates the appropriate solenoid valves within thousandths of a second, setting the hydraulic system as required. Now the hydraulic fluid under a high level of system pressure of up to 90 bar is able to flow into the clutch master cylinder within fractions of a second, opening the clutch in the process. This, in turn, serves to activate four hydraulic cylinders in the gearshift actuator controlled by solenoid valves in the hydraulic unit. The four hydraulic cylinders then serve ultimately to shift the gears by way of four separate gearshift rods. And when down-shifting, the engine automatically “blips” the throttle between gears.

Thanks for that Biologist.
If his has the SMG with paddle shift he never used it that I recall. What great driving though.

Last edited:
HONG KONG PUGGY said:
Thanks for that Biologist.
If his has the SMG with paddle shift he never used it tht I recall. What great driving though.

I tried watching his hands, they do leave the wheel, which as you
point out is rather dicey. It may be a push/pull actuation lever
like some WRC rally cars have, push once to go up a gear, pull
once to go down... Very hard to tell in the vid as the sun only
goes into the cockpit on a few occasions and, well, the driver
is very busy. Its one of my fave vids though.

cheers,

Has got to be 2m46s of some of the best footage you could ask for.
The wind noise buffeting the microphone at full noise is increadible

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
Has got to be 2m46s of some of the best footage you could ask for.
The wind noise buffeting the microphone at full noise is increadible

Oh yeah!
I've just burnt a bunch of car vids to CD for a mate of mine here at work
and he is sitting in his office with that particular clip blaring down the hall
full blast!

Just downloaded this vid. That is one very quick car :eek: Sounds fantastic as well :headbang:

Hill climb vid

Clearly stick shifting - the last few corners with sunlight in the cabin make it blatantly obvious, imo.

Amazing driving. Thats the best I've seen. Wife thinks its sped up! Think she might be right. The asphalt is smooth as velvet. Do you get a parachute in your kit?

Pod