Anyone had a oil leak from a 308 HDi ?

They have no offered an explanation for the deposit build up other than use of B20 biodiesel, which they admit is speculation

All they say at this stage is that there is excessive carbon build up [presumably on the air intake]

What I am not sure of yet is that they link carbon build up to rear seal failure and some people are saying that is not possible

How many kms have you done since your 2nd replacement ?

My rear seal was also done under warranty at 32K, car is now at 82k

It seems to be weak point of the 308s and that rear seal failures are not uncommon even the dealership said as much, surely one doesn't need to replace that seal every 40K or so ?!

Around 20K kms so far. It was certainly a bad part, not the distance travelled.

You should be right once your second seal has been replaced, as long as it's the 'version 2' seal.

MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

So, really what is it causing it to fail?
Wrong oil? Just general wear and tear?
If its the oil - what oil should we should be using?
(looks like mine is leaky too but cannot pinpoint yet - I need to wash it properly)
Cheers
AP

So, really what is it causing it to fail?
Wrong oil? Just general wear and tear?
If its the oil - what oil should we should be using?
(looks like mine is leaky too but cannot pinpoint yet - I need to wash it properly)
Cheers
AP

AP,

The original spec seal fitted at the factory was a weak part.

That's what I experienced.

Oil-stick to 5W30 Low Ash, nothing more/less

MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW

an update - I tried a rear main seal repair additive but that didn't work. It has now been suggested it could also be the "seal in the main bearing cap" if not the actual rear main seal.

time to book it in for the 10 hr job :cry:

All - another update

I finally had a dealership diagnose and resolve the oil leak

The dealership I took the vehicle too afer ruling out any issues with egr, intake manifold congestion, pressure valves etc removed the gear box and found that the rear main seal was not installed correctly i.e. in as far as expected. Furthermore they could see 'scuff' on the bearing the seal goes over which would have compounded the issue that should not be there.

I have gone back to dealership [a] who installed the seal in 2011

Question: Can a real main seal ever come loose ?

What kind of rear seal additive was it?
Cheers
AP

Rislone Rear Main Seal Repair - it didn't work

is it same issue on 508 2.0 hdi ? Engine or only gerabox out? Anything else to do ?

If the rear main seal, yes, gearbox out. I had my transmission replaced under warranty so I paid for a new rear main seal to be replaced at the same time. Made sense.....

I’m chasing a slight leak at the moment and it’s mainly coming from the top hose on the intercooler. They are ‘wet’ on the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

308 tend to leak from the rocker cover gasket and the sump gasket also the vacuum pump to head seal. Give it a good wash and look closely as to where the leaks come from

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs