Anyone converted a older pug to electric?

james h

Fellow Frogger
Anyone have any links or info to any electric conversions on older Peugeot's. I've been umming about the idea of it for a while now and are curious how people are going about it.

I'd consider an"older pug" to be RWD.

And would dismiss the idea of an electric conversion immediately: for two major reasons

1) The weight of a 203.403. 404 or 504 or 505

2) The amount of work involved in converting the torque tube & prop shaft to couple to an electric motor.

To answer your question - no. And perhaps the reasons above may explain why it is so.

I don't have a link but all sorts of cars have been converted over the years, so a Pug should be no real problem.
There are plenty of conversions that simply replace the petrol motor with an electric - all you need are motor mounts and an adapter plate to fit the engine to the gearbox where the petrol motor was (all custom, so you need to be good with fabricating).
And of course heaps of knowledge about electrickery to add all the battery/ charge/control bits.
But there are lots who have done it with all sorts of cars.
Used to be a photo library of leccy conversions but I can't find it now.
Google electric car conversions and a few places pop up - contact one near you and ask questions.

Leccy pug..

Have you considered 2 small motors on the rear,as on 308 R and 508 Sport. I still cannot comprehend why they did not build the 308 R...Peugeot keep creating head turning cars...BUT ONCE CREATED...TURN THEIR HEADS IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION. PERHAPS TOO MANY BEAN COUNTERS WITHOUT INSPIRATION.

Then you need an Engineer's Certificate it is all RWC and safe.
This will be hard these days.

I'd consider an"older pug" to be RWD.

And would dismiss the idea of an electric conversion immediately: for two major reasons

1) The weight of a 203.403. 404 or 504 or 505

2) The amount of work involved in converting the torque tube & prop shaft to couple to an electric motor.

To answer your question - no. And perhaps the reasons above may explain why it is so.

Early Peugeots are a lot lighter than the later ones. 203, 930 kg, 404 1050, Even the 504 is less than 1200 for the early ones.

A fellow called Jürgen in the Netherlands has done this to a 404 Wagon, VIN 4869729.
48047611436_5e231ce709_b.jpg