Any observations on the original Peugeot 2008?

BarryC

Fellow Frogger
No further responses required. Situation has altered. Will wait for the update in 2017.

Last edited:
I have the 2017 model with the 1.2 turbo, but I’m interested in comments on the original with the 1.6 non-turbo and the 4 speed auto. I’ve seen a few road reports and it apparently got a good wrap at the time. Just didn’t sell well.

Possibly a choice for a family member....

If that’s the in-house auto it’s probably the only weak link.
We had the 5 speed manual diesel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My gut feeling is that the AL4 must have been properly sorted by the time it went into the 2008. I did a test drive of the 208 (sedan) that had the same drivetrain in 2013 and the engine transmission seemed to work well together. On the other hand, I have a 207 with the AL4 and the nonturbo 1.6 and it dithers with the 2-3 changeat low speed. Fine if you floor it, but most irritating otherwise.

My gut feeling is that the AL4 must have been properly sorted by the time it went into the 2008. I did a test drive of the 208 (sedan) that had the same drivetrain in 2013 and the engine transmission seemed to work well together. On the other hand, I have a 207 with the AL4 and the nonturbo 1.6 and it dithers with the 2-3 changeat low speed. Fine if you floor it, but most irritating otherwise.

Yeah, I’m not an expert on this tranny so would worry about on selling it. The usual situation of a reputation being difficult to overcome.
We drove one across to Perth via Esperance- Albany etc and back in 2017 and it cost us just $320 in fuel .

You are right in saying it had been tweaked by the time it appeared in the 2008. They even renamed it the EAT4, though I'm not sure if that is anything other than marketing.

The non-turbo 1.6 (88kW, 160Nm) coupled with the 4sp auto would be a little lethargic.

Probably only better than the 1.2 non turbo (60kW, 118Nm) with a 5sp manual.

Other than the original drivetrains, I think the 2008 is a very good car, accommodations-wise.

I sold our manual diesel to a friend but she now has a bad knee so wants an auto. So an Artenze Grey is available if anyone is interested.

You are right in saying it had been tweaked by the time it appeared in the 2008. They even renamed it the EAT4, though I'm not sure if that is anything other than marketing.

The non-turbo 1.6 (88kW, 160Nm) coupled with the 4sp auto would be a little lethargic.

Probably only better than the 1.2 non turbo (60kW, 118Nm) with a 5sp manual.

Other than the original drivetrains, I think the 2008 is a very good car, accommodations-wise.

Never seen it called EAT4
They did call it AT8 though.