Any 308 GTi 270 owners here?

lowpugV2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Just have a question regarding the best oil to use for the engine and the gearbox/LSD. Plus, has anyone used the non OEM/alcon front brake alternatives?

I've got one. Oil , any up to spec oil will do and add a bit of friction modifier (about 70ml) for the gearbox. I used Fuchs gearbox oil first time and went back to oem oil on second time. It seems new Pug oil now comes with friction modifier included but I guess its difficult to get hold of. A tsb had been released and suggested to get Sturaco modifier but that is not available. As for discs, get hold of Greg as Brakes Direct in Brisbane. I just ordered a new front set of Forza 2 piece rotors with Brembo pads at a good price, better than the Alcon prices, but lead time is about 4 months.

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'm very close to purchasing a my17 with 34,000 kays. So I'm trying to gauge what expenses may be coming up. If you don't mind me asking, how have you found the ownership experience?

I liked how the car drove, and really found the driving position great. The car felt very natural. Although I was driving in the wet on the worn out super sport tyres so grip was very limited.

Excellent, thanks for the info. I'm very close to purchasing a my17 with 34,000 kays. So I'm trying to gauge what expenses may be coming up. If you don't mind me asking, how have you found the ownership experience?

I liked how the car drove, and really found the driving position great. The car felt very natural. Although I was driving in the wet on the worn out super sport tyres so grip was very limited.
Got mine second hand about 2 years ago, bought sight unseen. Awesome little car that you do not see that often. Plenty of power to keep you happy for a little while and some options for tuning, though limited, are available. Can still catch me off guard at times when boost kicks in and puts a big smile on my wrinkly face. Keep services up to date and for that I am driving to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast. Have not had any major dramas with it but looking at how expensive the rotors are, I am not looking forward to that day when something does blow up. The Forza rotors I have on order are a 2 piece so upon next change, I will only buy the discs and keep the bell. Services till now have been very reasonable though new plugs at each service does bump up the price. I am doing 6 monthly services though. Have a short shifter on the way from Europe too and am looking very much forward to that. Driving position is great but due to my short legs, the seat is very much forward and arm hitting the bolsters when shifting. This short shifter will sort that out.
If that car all checks out then go for it mate, you'll love it and you will have something very special.

That TSB re the Sturaco additive was to do with a gearbox noise that was described to me as being rather like a foghorn when, say, doing a u-turn. At least one of the dealers had obtained some of the additive.
There is an expectation to change the plugs and lubricants more frequently than many other Pugs, so keep that in mind.

Got mine second hand about 2 years ago, bought sight unseen. Awesome little car that you do not see that often. Plenty of power to keep you happy for a little while and some options for tuning, though limited, are available. Can still catch me off guard at times when boost kicks in and puts a big smile on my wrinkly face. Keep services up to date and for that I am driving to Brisbane from the Sunshine Coast. Have not had any major dramas with it but looking at how expensive the rotors are, I am not looking forward to that day when something does blow up. The Forza rotors I have on order are a 2 piece so upon next change, I will only buy the discs and keep the bell. Services till now have been very reasonable though new plugs at each service does bump up the price. I am doing 6 monthly services though. Have a short shifter on the way from Europe too and am looking very much forward to that. Driving position is great but due to my short legs, the seat is very much forward and arm hitting the bolsters when shifting. This short shifter will sort that out.
If that car all checks out then go for it mate, you'll love it and you will have something very special.
Short shifter sounds interesting. I didn't think the gear change was bad, just had to be slower than expected. Actually, the thing that bugged me the most was the overly large shift knob. Wouldn't mind changing that. Otherwise the car was solid. I didn't notice any whine from the LSD.

Next question. Thoughts on longevity? If properly serviced and maintained is there any reason the 270 wouldn't see 150,000 kays? I'm thinking this would be my car for up to 10 years. Obviously brakes, clutch, probably water pumps, coils etc. will be part of the routine service but any thoughts on the whole package? My biggest concern is updating or fixing bloody touch screens.

I have heard that due to the special nature of the engine it avoids the usual EP6 issues, but I can't ignore the fact that a highly boosted 1.6 might have a short lifespan. And no, I don't expect half a million kays.

All the sport touched engines are 1000 times better with the touch screens you can get after market systems that can replace them for a fraction of the price

All the sport touched engines are 1000 times better with the touch screens you can get after market systems that can replace them for a fraction of the price
I was hoping you'd chime in. Thanks. I was hoping the after market had a solution.

The aluminium shift knob gets very hot in summer so keep an old sock or something in your car to cover it. I don't see these engines being an issue lasting 150ks or beyond provided services are kept up and you treat her nice. Obvously you can't be fully aware of the history of the one you want to purchase but see what you can find out. Another owner I met has 100ks on his 2016 gti without any problems. I have no issues with the screen and if I do need any updates, my mechanic in Brisbane will organize that.

There is a 2015 Allure Premium 1.6 on Carsales with 171,000km so no reason they can't do 200,000km+ with good servicing/oil.

The aluminium shift knob gets very hot in summer so keep an old sock or something in your car to cover it. I don't see these engines being an issue lasting 150ks or beyond provided services are kept up and you treat her nice. Obvously you can't be fully aware of the history of the one you want to purchase but see what you can find out. Another owner I met has 100ks on his 2016 gti without any problems. I have no issues with the screen and if I do need any updates, my mechanic in Brisbane will organize that.
Can I get a Peugeot sock?

PugSock.jpg

Ive got a 2016 GTi 270 thats done around 91,000km now. Its the 'pre facelift model'
It has the front Forza brake discs and 'custom hats' as Brakes Direct call them. Its using the Bremtec Evolve Carbon Ceramic Mono4 pads also from Brakes Direct, but I think as a road car these are overkill and it could get by with some softer pads for daily use. The hard pads can glaze up the discs if you don't stand on the brakes hard enough every now and then.
Im using Penrite oils in engine and box currently. Penrite C3 is the recommended engine oil by Penrite.
If using Penrite gbox oil it already has an amount of Limited Slip additive in the oil so dont be tempted to add too much additional Limslip additive (Penrite product).
I get bulk parts orders for consumables/filters etc from EAI in Sydney.

There is only one spark plug recommended for these and the prices vary wildly. Shop around online such as Sparesbox and even ebay. Avoid Repco as they wanted $59 each as a special order!

Tyres arent cheap being 235/35/19 at around $350+ each for Michelin PS4S but there are other cheaper options. Last time I priced a PS4S it was $408 from Tyresales. It also has no spare but you can make up a spare wheel kit from a 3008 spacesaver or even a Ford Mondeo as the stud pattern is the same. The spacesaver will never clear the massive front brakes so you would need to move the back wheel to the front then put the spacesaver on the rear etc as the rear discs are smallish.

The rims are Speedline and prone to gutters so park carefully and slowly. Dont be rushed and scratch the $800 rim as they are diamond cut finished and not a simple repair job.

Some people are having trouble with the fuel tanks on the pre face lifts cars. The breather or internal valve that stops fuel entering the external canister can block or fail open and a sign of impending doom is hesitant acceleration or stalling. Some people are claiming whole new fuel tank installations as its an ongoing issue.
Ive not had the issue yet and a preventative measure is not to fill the tank to the brim. Stop 5L short of full but you have to know what you have in there to start with etc.

One other issue I had when I got the car was that the stereo and in fact all 'noise' from the speakers was an intermittent fault. Some days perfect, other days nothing. No amount of resetting or lock/unlock/deadlock overnight etc would fix it. My friend diagnosed via his scan tool and the failure pointed to the rear amp in the left hand side behind the tail light. After a full clean by blowing out all of the dust and cleaning the contacts then reconnecting all of the connector blocks it hasn't faulted since. Aussie dust seemed to cause that issue.

I was heading towards a 208GTi however after discussions with a 270 owner nearby, I bought the 308 GTi 2nd hand and its such a blast to drive especially with the sport button pushed and knowing that its just a 1600cc turbo.
Ive driven a friends basic (non Rallye) Yaris GR also, and for half the price (even 2nd hand) the 308 made more sense.
Hope that assists.

Ive got a 2016 GTi 270 thats done around 91,000km now. Its the 'pre facelift model'
It has the front Forza brake discs and 'custom hats' as Brakes Direct call them. Its using the Bremtec Evolve Carbon Ceramic Mono4 pads also from Brakes Direct, but I think as a road car these are overkill and it could get by with some softer pads for daily use. The hard pads can glaze up the discs if you don't stand on the brakes hard enough every now and then.
Im using Penrite oils in engine and box currently. Penrite C3 is the recommended engine oil by Penrite.
If using Penrite gbox oil it already has an amount of Limited Slip additive in the oil so dont be tempted to add too much additional Limslip additive (Penrite product).
I get bulk parts orders for consumables/filters etc from EAI in Sydney.

There is only one spark plug recommended for these and the prices vary wildly. Shop around online such as Sparesbox and even ebay. Avoid Repco as they wanted $59 each as a special order!

Tyres arent cheap being 235/35/19 at around $350+ each for Michelin PS4S but there are other cheaper options. Last time I priced a PS4S it was $408 from Tyresales. It also has no spare but you can make up a spare wheel kit from a 3008 spacesaver or even a Ford Mondeo as the stud pattern is the same. The spacesaver will never clear the massive front brakes so you would need to move the back wheel to the front then put the spacesaver on the rear etc as the rear discs are smallish.

The rims are Speedline and prone to gutters so park carefully and slowly. Dont be rushed and scratch the $800 rim as they are diamond cut finished and not a simple repair job.

Some people are having trouble with the fuel tanks on the pre face lifts cars. The breather or internal valve that stops fuel entering the external canister can block or fail open and a sign of impending doom is hesitant acceleration or stalling. Some people are claiming whole new fuel tank installations as its an ongoing issue.
Ive not had the issue yet and a preventative measure is not to fill the tank to the brim. Stop 5L short of full but you have to know what you have in there to start with etc.

One other issue I had when I got the car was that the stereo and in fact all 'noise' from the speakers was an intermittent fault. Some days perfect, other days nothing. No amount of resetting or lock/unlock/deadlock overnight etc would fix it. My friend diagnosed via his scan tool and the failure pointed to the rear amp in the left hand side behind the tail light. After a full clean by blowing out all of the dust and cleaning the contacts then reconnecting all of the connector blocks it hasn't faulted since. Aussie dust seemed to cause that issue.

I was heading towards a 208GTi however after discussions with a 270 owner nearby, I bought the 308 GTi 2nd hand and its such a blast to drive especially with the sport button pushed and knowing that its just a 1600cc turbo.
Ive driven a friends basic (non Rallye) Yaris GR also, and for half the price (even 2nd hand) the 308 made more sense.
Hope that assists.
Excellent info, thanks. Definitely gives me more confidence hearing from owners.

Nice. Watch the original GTi badges if it still has them. The chrome highlights are fragile and catch on your sponge/chamois etc when you wash the car. The chrome can easily break off. A replacement is $75 from Peugeot. I usually lightly add a strip of masking tape to each badge before I wash the car as a warning to myself.
There are however $20 UK repro ones available on ebay and they are much more robust.