Another Renault Paint Code Question

Virage Racer

Fellow Frogger
Metallic Blue April 1976 R1177 sedan (although round headlights, grey cloth interior, seat belt tagged 1978). Repainted externally at some stage, looks to be a good match to original colour in boot and engine bay. Paint code not to be found on vehicle. Seem to be a lot of 1976 Renault blue paint codes floating around the internet ,but don't recall too many variations on metallic blue in the Renault 12! Assistance from the wise and informed welcomed.
Renault12_1.jpg
Renault12_2.jpg
Renault12_3.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, I’ll look at my files, Simon no doubt will have the chips and code tho so I won’t try too hard!
R16 TX and possibly specials came out in a metallic blue I think. Lovely colour!
Got any pics?

Maaaaan that looks like the "moonracker blue" my 505sti had!

Best dam blue ever!

Thanks Vivid, that is one exhaustive reference - best guesses from that lot would be codes 412, 414, 475. But guesses can be dangerous when it comes to paint matching. Interestingly, yellow specification sticker under my bonnet shows car as R1179 despite plating as R1177. Everything about this vehicle says Virage. Colour and car looks to be a dead ringer for this example. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/1978_Renault_Virage_sedan_(6108946726).jpg

That owner should be on the NSW Reno club facebook page (whatever it's called now) I'm sure he'd be fine looking under the bonnet for you.

Thanks Vivid, that is one exhaustive reference - best guesses from that lot would be codes 412, 414, 475. But guesses can be dangerous when it comes to paint matching. Interestingly, yellow specification sticker under my bonnet shows car as R1179 despite plating as R1177. Everything about this vehicle says Virage. Colour and car looks to be a dead ringer for this example. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/1978_Renault_Virage_sedan_(6108946726).jpg
There was a previous thread on this and a quick look at my American Tech Bulletin 81-3 September 1980 seems to indicate that Metallic Blue is Renault code 475

From the outset it advises that "There are seven paint colors available for all Renault 1981 models, all of which are 1980 carryover colors. then lists the colors
Renault code
170 Beige
319 White
475 Blue, Metallic, Clearcoat
620 Silver Metalic, Clearcoat
694 Black, Clearcoat
705 Rally Red
918 Dark Green Metallic, Clearcoat.
also The intermix formula paint codes from some major manufacturers for these colours can be found on Page two of this bulletin. The availability of Laquer or enamel is also indicated for each color on of this bulletin. Some of these colors also require a clearcoat application, as indicated. The intermix formulas are available at local Jobbers.
Page two gives the American codes for 475 e.g. Ditzler # 15227, Sherwin Williams #J4-9026, Rinshed Mason #10897D, Dupont #45488

I think in the previous thread I also listed the Australian colour codes for the Renault 475 Metallic (Dulux #) from local service bulletins. I note my silver Metallic was also clear coated and it can fade badly in our climate.

5.10-1982 T 4/82 service Bulletin for Fuego paint formulas issued by Dulux Australia
lists Baltic Blue Metallic code 490/479
522 - 34990
03924 -490
12245 - 495
19334 - 500
I presume those additional numbers are the paint tint to achieve the correct colour

Hope that helps , if I find more I will list it.

Ken

When I had the R8 paint scanned with one of these you-beaut devices at the amazing paint shop on Gibb St, East Cannington, it actually brought up the correct Renault colour name and mix, and I could get a spray can made up by them to match exactly. Might work for you and it's interesting (and a truly amazing shop, worth a visit). It's off to the left, slightly hidden, 130 m from Railway Terrace. I've no idea whether they can do metallic finishes but they sure know what they are doing.

Some of the Renault colours are Peugeot and Ford colours from when Peugeot and Ford car were assembled at Heidelberg.

I think they used the left over paint from the Peugeot's and Ford's on the Renault's

No such thing as a blue avocado. And yes there is a colour code for avocado. I found my paint code label in a bag of bits and pieces that came with the cars. But I already had the colour matched from an original painted part of the car and it turned out perfectly. The paint code turned up no positive responses from google etc.