Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

Hi John,
I see Nigel Bateman has progressed massively with his R5 project.

Ray

Three jack stands at various points including the Jarrah and Oak on both chassis rails. No concrete but that's dust on the Jarrah.
The inside metal panel behind the A pillar and sill is around 1.8mm thick and seems very strong. It is all part of the left firewall and goes all the way to the back of the car. The whole sill is also 1.8mmthick.
When putting the A pillar back in place, Ive noticed no movement has happened. Alignment is perfect.

View attachment 202470
View attachment 202473
Carried out to Shoji perfection as always 😍

Started work again on the R17 for 2023. Making modifications along the way to the body work. Under front guards was a poor design for mud, etc. Did I mention I can't weld for sh#t....

Sill.jpg

A pillar.jpg

Practice makes Perfect, John.
It is all a learning curve......

Ray

I have a professional welder coming in to re-attach the outer of the A pillar on my 17. I just don't trust myself. It's got to be good or the car will just collapse. He's going to stitch where I cut it off at the top and do some puddle welds to attach the lower part to the sill. All the sides as well. The sill was easier as it is 1.8mm so I did that.

I have a professional welder coming in to re-attach the outer of the A pillar on my 17. I just don't trust myself. It's got to be good or the car will just collapse. He's going to stitch where I cut it off at the top and do some puddle welds to attach the lower part to the sill. All the sides as well. The sill was easier as it is 1.8mm so I did that.
Sound thinking. You don't want it folding up if someone runs into you! On the positive side, you'll be pleased to trust his welds, so a reassuring decision too. :)

Sound thinking. You don't want it folding up if someone runs into you! On the positive side, you'll be pleased to trust his welds, so a reassuring decision too. :)
My thoughts exactly John. Non structual I can deal with but when it comes to to engineered sections. Na!

Glen the professional welder dropped by this morning to shore up the A pillar. Now for the drivers side which doesn't seem bad at all...But I'm still cutting it all off to be sure. Sand blast all panels and call Glen in again to weld up the lot. Hot work though today at 38

IMG_20230204_094330558.jpg

Glen the professional welder dropped by this morning to shore up the A pillar. Now for the drivers side which doesn't seem bad at all...But I'm still cutting it all off to be sure. Sand blast all panels and call Glen in again to weld up the lot. Hot work though today at 38

View attachment 216357
Good thinking.