Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

Late this afternoon, I shut machines down and had another bash at the DCOE 40's. Removed them and shined a light down all barrels. Very hard to see any light come through on both past the barrels. But I loosened the plates and tapped the shafts lightly to shake the plates to a tight fit whilst also holding the shaft shut. Nipped up the screws and then hard. Reinstalled, balanced and tuned. Now for air flow volume results:

• No 1 and 3 has now 3.25 (down from 4)
  • No 2 and 4 has now 2.5 (up from 2)
  • No 2 and 4 added air with bypass to 3 (couldn't get any closer)
  • Tweaked idle again
  • Happy with that

I also took this opportunity to replace the accelerator pump spring to a harder one than standard and the spill valve back to a 40 to replace the 50. This was in the hope that I might rid of the slight stutter. Not quite unfortunately.
It drives nice though. But if you go to stomp on it can stumble. To be continued...

Late this afternoon, I shut machines down and had another bash at the DCOE 40's. Removed them and shined a light down all barrels. Very hard to see any light come through on both past the barrels. But I loosened the plates and tapped the shafts lightly to shake the plates to a tight fit whilst also holding the shaft shut. Nipped up the screws and then hard. Reinstalled, balanced and tuned. Now for air flow volume results:

• No 1 and 3 has now 3.25 (down from 4)
  • No 2 and 4 has now 2.5 (up from 2)
  • No 2 and 4 added air with bypass to 3 (couldn't get any closer)
  • Tweaked idle again
  • Happy with that

I also took this opportunity to replace the accelerator pump spring to a harder one than standard and the spill valve back to a 40 to replace the 50. This was in the hope that I might rid of the slight stutter. Not quite unfortunately.
It drives nice though. But if you go to stomp on it can stumble. To be continued...

Thats a huge improvement John.

Good to see that you are on the right track and the carby setup has improved.

Evening chaps.
Long shot, but I'm after the tiny inserts that goes into the body panels of these R17's.
They hold the badge in place.
On the hatch I have just fitted another "Renault" badge that is in great condition.
But when installing the little insert, it decided to dislodge and went inside the hatch.
I think it was corroded caused by the alloy badge.
Would anyone have these surplus to their needs?
Or adapted something else?

Renault 17.jpg

I guess you can't photograph the lost one, but can you photograph one that you haven't lost by any chance? The earlier badges of that style were held on by a fiddly but effective (for the first use) spring washer with internal sharp teeth for want of a better description...

A pic of the insert and the hole without an insert. Hard to tell what it really looks like, but something like a rivet head.
No insert.jpg

Insert.jpg

Though so. I imagine you don't want to cut a couple of discreet access holes with plugs to go in them?

I'd be not be doing that John. I may fix up a tiny vacuum hose and clean it out.
I was thinking access for tiny nuts. The spare alloy mouldings for my R8 actually have threaded pins. Unfortunately the nuts are behind the roof lining....

Oh, I see John. Thinking about it now, your suggestion could be the way to go. Done carefully and all debris removed. Some rubber grommets added

Oh, I see John. Thinking about it now, your suggestion could be the way to go. Done carefully and all debris removed. Some rubber grommets added
You got it.... Rubber washers under the nuts of course. The R8 badges have press-on fittings with soft rubber washers to seal from the inside. The fittings never fail but are horrible to remove and seem to be made of unobtainium.

Update on the Ren 17.
Decided it was time to refurbish the rear axle, so got stuck in this afternoon and removed it.
Actually quite easy and done in 3 hours.
I have new sachs gas shocks for the rear, same brand that's in the front as I bought them as a set.
The axle will be sand blasted and 2k painted.
I have new suspension parts with bushes ready and waiting.
Also, small repair on that new exhaust as it has been hitting the axle.
Old shocks seem quite good so they are up for grabs to who's interested.

Rear Axle.jpg
Sway bar.jpg
Shocks.jpg
R17 with no rear axle.jpg

Dirty rotten job. Wire wheel to surface clean 47 years of WA dirt. Found a bit of surface rust where the brake controller is fitted. Must of been vaping at some stage. Not too bad really and treated with rust converter. We will continue...
Surface rust.jpg
Wheel arch.jpg
Boot area.jpg