Another Dauphine Gordini Ressurection

They are designed for broken over-torqued studs and work well enough for them - yours looks pretty clean

Studs which have broken through having taken up residence for 60 years and becoming thoroughly rusted in and heat treated, as Schlitz noted, are a different matter, which prompted my comment above.

Depends upon why the stud/set screw broke

Best Wishes

Andrew

Andrew

Thanks for the insight, I am always up for learning

I haven't done many easy outs, but mine have come out ok, including this broken exhaust manifold stud came out ok

View attachment 125929
That's nice and clean though. If the remnant is really stuck with corrosion, Easi-outs can quite easily snap off as you work out how tight the broken bit really is..... Not that they aren't a great thing to have and they do work really well sometimes I agree.

Removed the head yesterday and today drilled out the bolts and then tapped and cleaned up the threads. The valves all look good bores are fine only worms I can see are the steel pipe running through the head has a lot of gunk in it and some corrosion it was actually blocked so the head had to come off anyway. Now I have to clean it up to better inspect the steel tube probably replace it. wait for my gasket set then put it back together.
Well done Greg! You were right to pull it off then. Make sure you have the sleeves held down with bolts and washers - shout if you need some. The tube might/should be peined over at both ends. Access comes after you've broken some water pump studs......

Removed the water pump and can see the steel tube through the head is blocked. I think I might be lucky the gunk is only around the steel tube and where the steel inspection plate was attached. The water jackets around the liners appear reasonably clean. Open to suggestions on how to remove and replacing the remnants of the corroded steel tube which I can see has corroded at one end and is blocked somewhere in the middle of the head.

Attachments

• 20200930_090107_copy_600x800.jpg
    20200930_090107_copy_600x800.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 20200930_090119_copy_600x800.jpg
    20200930_090119_copy_600x800.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 20200930_090148_copy_800x600.jpg
    20200930_090148_copy_800x600.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 20200930_090154_copy_800x600.jpg
    20200930_090154_copy_800x600.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 205
Dang, that head looks like it has seen better days. This is how a broken stud extraction becomes an engine reco job.

Where is that tube? What am I looking for?

The tube goes from the water pump to the other end of the head. It has holes drilled in it to direct water at the back of the port around the valve area of the head. It is often corroded away to the point of non existence given these vehicles were often driven with only water in the cooling system. Tubes are available new in stainless or you can make it yourself.

The tube goes from the water pump to the other end of the head. It has holes drilled in it to direct water at the back of the port around the valve area of the head. It is often corroded away to the point of non existence given these vehicles were often driven with only water in the cooling system. Tubes are available new in stainless or you can make it yourself.
Yes I have found an instruction for making up a new tube. So searching to find a supplier of 14mm stainless steel tubing. It appears this is not a size readily available in WA.

I would be happy to use plain steel pipe, given the car is likely to be run with an inhibitor in the coolant for the rest of its life. I would guess that if the new tube lasted only 40 years, neither of us is likely to be too upset.

The blockage in the cooling tube was a piece of plastic electrical cable insulation don't know how that got in there but removed it ran a stiff nylon Ramset hole cleaning brush through it which cleaned out the gunk. Tube is intact so Put it all back together. Had it running but it was experiencing fuel starvation issues. Cleaned out the fuel lines after finding a blockage between tank and fuel pump. Today its running fine no overheating issues no leaking coolant so I had its first small run (200 m up the street) under its own power testing the brakes. Slowly getting there but very happy its now running under its own steam. First time this little machine has been running for a number of years.

Well done.

Another thing I found works is a cheap bbq steel brush like this:

https://media.bunnings.com.au/Product-800x800/8ccbb22e-4525-49c1-8afa-96d2f97cc85d.jpg

cut one of the legs and straighten it up and you've got an excellent pipe cleaner. There are also many versions made for power tools (usually drills). These are expensive but in case you need some other diameter you've got some options. Gun shops also sell all sorts of little wire brushes like that for small diameter holes.

Well done.

Another thing I found works is a cheap bbq steel brush like this:

https://media.bunnings.com.au/Product-800x800/8ccbb22e-4525-49c1-8afa-96d2f97cc85d.jpg

cut one of the legs and straighten it up and you've got an excellent pipe cleaner. There are also many versions made for power tools (usually drills). These are expensive but in case you need some other diameter you've got some options. Gun shops also sell all sorts of little wire brushes like that for small diameter holes.
Yes, you can find sets of various diameter semi-precision wire brushes - great for oilways too.

The blockage in the cooling tube was a piece of plastic electrical cable insulation don't know how that got in there but removed it ran a stiff nylon Ramset hole cleaning brush through it which cleaned out the gunk. Tube is intact so Put it all back together. Had it running but it was experiencing fuel starvation issues. Cleaned out the fuel lines after finding a blockage between tank and fuel pump. Today its running fine no overheating issues no leaking coolant so I had its first small run (200 m up the street) under its own power testing the brakes. Slowly getting there but very happy its now running under its own steam. First time this little machine has been running for a number of years.
That's great. You won't yet be driving it to the F&F breakfast/coffee tomorrow morning I imagine. I might bring the 4CV I think.

"under its own steam" is an unhappy choice of words perhaps.:ROFLMAO:

That's great. You won't yet be driving it to the F&F breakfast/coffee tomorrow morning I imagine. I might bring the 4CV I think.
No John have to finish off some of the body work so I can reassemble it. So a little early to drive it too far. Around my deserted streets while everyone is at work is ok minus boot, bonnet lights and bumpers. Will have to take the megane. My other little toy is due next week :). Hopefully I can leave the megane at home for the next Classic Cars and Coffee

No John have to finish off some of the body work so I can reassemble it. So a little early to drive it too far. Around my deserted streets while everyone is at work is ok minus boot, bonnet lights and bumpers. Will have to take the megane. My other little toy is due next week :). Hopefully I can leave the megane at home for the next Classic Cars and Coffee
Joking really. That carport space is still available btw.