Another 308 EP6 timing chain thread (sorry)

walkingperson

Tadpole
Ok, so I've had two done in my car already.
The last is less than 30,000k old. The cold start rattle is back. I recently fixed a heat shield rattle which revealed the underlying, more sinister telltale rattle.

Recently had the valve cover off due to failure in the PCV, and although I didn't check closely, the top guide looked fine, which I understand is usually what disintegrates first and causes the rattle?

So... I have a few specific questions about this, that so far I have not been able to find info on other, more general threads on timing chain issues.

1) If the top guide is fine, is it the tensioner that is likely to be at fault? What is it about them that fails?

2) Is it likely if I replace that tensioner only, the cold start rattle will be fixed?

3) The workshop manual says a 'special tool' is required to measure if the chain is worn and requires replacement. Any ideas on where to get this tool or how to do it without?

Obviously what I'm trying to do here is not take the whole box and dice out, and get out of this with what's left of my sanity and wage intact... [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Which engine? The naturally aspirated may be noisy cold. The turbo is the one with a chain stretch history. Most have been replaced with a newer version. Replacement is complex, and too big to post. See service box.