An old French tart

Alan S

1000+ Posts
Just spotted this on e-bay.
Were a top little car in their day approve approve

Alan S

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1737469364" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1737469364</a>

I think it is a good looking little car also. You dont see any about in australia. They are very rare. My friend who is a lot older than me had one years ago as his first car. I dont know if there are any simca clubs in Australia??

$1000.00 no wonder he hasn't had any bids on it,
There's a Simca car club in SA and quite a few cars as well.
We had a Vedette come in to work a while ago with a blown headgasket, 1959 model I think, with a side valve V8, it was something different.

David.

Alan, my family owned a roadhouse when I was a youngster (7-14 yo) and an IDENTICAL Aronde was left with us, off the back of a truck, as security for diesel, as the truckie had no cash. Never came back for it...

Stuey

Stuey:
Alan, my family owned a roadhouse when I was a youngster (7-14 yo) and an IDENTICAL Aronde was left with us, off the back of a truck, as security for diesel, as the truckie had no cash. Never came back for it...

Stuey
Hey Stuey,

Is this where the saying "fell off the back of a truck came from?" :D Doubtless to say you still haven't got it.
I can remember they had a Simca "Aronde'" which was then followed with an updated version (which I think this one is with the look of that silver flash down the side) which was known as the "Aronde' Elite" as well as that Vedette with the side banger V8 in it that David speaks of. They performed about on par with the old Holden side plate motor, maybe slightly better, were as economical and rode quite well. The one thing I do remember about them was under heavy acceleration, they were a bit like a BX 16 valve in as much as all the noise (induction) came from under the bonnet whilst the exhaust was quite restricted and kind of "hissy."
Just for the hell of it we dropped the muffler off one once; boy, didn't that make a difference. eek!
I've got a photo of one here that I took at a French car day in Brisbane a few years ago which had been restored but not to original, better described as "done up". I think I posted it on the Australian Citroen Yahoo board in files.
They were all typically French inside; full of plastic, white plastic was all the go back then :rolleyes:

Alan S

Alan, nah, went long ago. The funny thing was, back in the 70's my old man used to do a lot of trade-ins for fuel etc. I ended up with a late 50's Hillman Minx as a bush basher through such a deal, plus we had a BSA Bantam, same thing. The Minx was discarded when I ran over my brother after an argument.

Funny, but I do remember white plastic - seem to remember the white plastic steering wheel. Of course, even though young, being a car mad family I still remember the 'Simca' name and who could forget that grille/lights combo? Ahhh..memories.

Cheers

Stuey

"we had a BSA Bantam, same thing. The Minx was discarded when I ran over my brother after an argument."

I rode a couple of meets on a Bantam in scrambles which we hotted up pretty well due to the involvement in go-karts. :rolleyes: Actually did a meet over towards the latter days of "Heit Park" which everybody now knows as Willowbank/Queensland Raceway.
As far as "running over your brother after an argument" that's a bit of a worry - and they reckoned I was a wild bastard eek! :mad: eek! clown

Alan S :D