Alternator upgrade, Bosch

palyasm

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Tadpole
I have fitted a Bosch (ex commodore) internal reg to my D Safari and am a bit confused because the dash charge light glows, fairly dimly, with the ignition turned off. Turn on the ignition (without starting the engine) and the light goes off. It remains off with the engine running. The alternator is charging well at over 14v. I have left the light wire disconnected and still charging well. Somehow the bulb is providing a drain, or allowing some current to flow...

I fitted the same type of alt to my DS21 a few years ago and it has no issues running the charge light as per normal. I'm pretty certain I made no changes to the light wiring when I fitted that one...

I've checked the wiring diagram, and compared to the standard wiring configuration for this alternator and can't see why it would be any different. I've read the threads on here, too. I saw a diagram showing the addition of a standard relay, but I can't really see what function it plays - it disconnects the S wire from the battery with the ignition off, but that seems to be unnecessary? And it doesn't look like it would affect the L wiring function, merely having the relay coil spliced in between switched pos and the bulb?

It seems like a ground issue, but with 3 bolts holding the alt to the engine this seems unlikely?

With the original alt, the charge light would sometimes flash with the indicators - maybe a wiring issue at the dash?

Any pointers?

Cheers,
Steve

Sounds like a possible earth issue. Guessing !
jaahn

I did some tests last night, cleaned up the main earth lead between the battery and the water pump, etc - no obvious issues there.

I disconnected the sense (S) wire from the battery positive and found that there is a dead short between the L and S terminals at the regulator - so I guess I need a new regulator/brush assembly...

To complete this thread, I put a new regulator (RE60) in last night and this confirmed that the secondhand alternator for $80 was sold to me with a dead regulator.. so $92 for the new Reg/brush unit and it is all working nicely, charging properly and no surging (this is a D-Jet car and they like a very clean voltage supply to run smoothly, the main reason for the conversion).

Most wreckers will do a change over swap if found to be no good.