ALTERNATOR OVER RUN PULLEY FOR C5 RHH DIESEL.

tasie C5

Fellow Frogger
ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN SOURCE A PULLEY FOR THE ALTERNATOR ON MY CAR?
ALTERNATIVE, AN ALTERNATOR FOR SAME.

Dayco lists pulleys in their catalogue for the DW10C (RHH) for the Valeo alternators, 97A 150A. There's a where to buy on the website, with a few outlets for Tas.

plenty on ebay, supercheap and even repco seem to stock some in some stores for those lucky enough to have the RHH engine

mine went this week on the 3.0 V6 HDi.
no separate pulley avail, just a whole alternator $$$$$$ o_O
Guessing yours is also easier to get too as well

Ask EAI for an aftermarket 3.0HDi pulley. You can also adapt one for a 2.7 by adding a washer behind it to line it up. Same unit offset a few mm. You do need some special sockets to change it.

Thanks David, much appreciate the advice. Its a good option that I looked into, calling EAI but they said 'no pulley only'.
I looked at the UK forum where some are using a 2.7 pulley & a 3 mm spacer but there are no part numbers for the correct 2.7 pulley, of which there are 3 types, apperantly, all with different dimensions.
Even so, all the 2.7 pulleys are 1 mm less in diameter. It looked like a can of worms that would easily get out of hand and not wanting to take a chance that it doesn't work out.
When cold it now makes an awful noise, (went from chirp, chirp to grinding when cold in a week!) which could be just the pulley or indication of other problems, I decided a whole new alternator was a safer option, albeit more work to install.

Get the long screwdriver out and hold to ear and then touch each bearing location to find the one that has failed
May only need a new bearing in the alternator not the whole alternator
If it is this noisey, take belt off and spin by hand and feel for roughness
Belt may also be faulty, and even cheaper fix :)

thanks for the tip Driven, I've listened to the pulley end and its the source. Its a bit hard to get a tube into the bearing areas of the alternator.
the most likely bit to fail it goes in the jig first and the rest of the car is built around it ;)
That there is now a nasty grinding sound when cold isn't confidence inspring that the alt itself is ok. The C5 is sooo good, I rather have it correct to minimise any future issues. A couple of reports indicate that these types of altenators don't forever anyway. So may as well just replace the whole thing now and feel confident its not going to fail in the future.
the mechanic I'd enturst it to is so busy he can't do it for at least 2 weeks. may be skinning my knuckles to get it fixed - least preferred option.

ah, if only i'd known earler Balki! i searched the net and made a few calls to no avail. so rather than risk doing something bodgy with an uncertain, vague, outcome involving spinning up a spacer, I opted for, and purchased, a new alternator already.
I don't recall seeing anything come up from tassie when looking. do you have a web address for future reference?

TasieC5 — how is yours going?

A discarded sump washer of the bonded rubber/steel type works as a suitable spacer if required.

A discarded sump washer of the bonded rubber/steel type works as a suitable spacer if required.
Where's the fun in that! ;)
A simple spacer — at least a couple hours of machine programming, finding some suitable material, make a couple of duds until getting a good one. At least an entire day allowing for tea breaks, hand wringing and multiple curse words.

Thanks for the tip :) With your info and Balki's pulleys, this thread will help all 3.0 HDi owners with this issue in the future.