Alternator and battery issues

Hmm I guess in reality modern cars are an integrated design that relies on a big alternator and a good battery. Not too many surplus parts to waste money. AND the 'waters are muddied' with new ECU controlled smart alternators that quickly drop the voltage down to 12+v for various reasons, and the ECU only puts in as much as it thinks is being used, or gives a supercharge when braking up to 15V to save a drop of fuel. Dodgey batteries will not like that at all.

Hmm the last generation of cars did not like any of that one little bit as we were saying previously. So some redesign must have been required to get them reliable again.
Cars are a'changing for sure jaahn

Here's an excerpt from a battery manufacturer's
website.
I guess people can take from it what they will.🤷‍♂️
The last point is what I am trying to emphasise.

View attachment 219071
Agree with Jaahn regarding variable voltage & modern controls ~ something was posted a few weeks ago about fitting accessories directly to battery terminals screwing up charging rates & battery life.

Now to what was cut & pasted ~ is no different from what was said regarding the alternator supplies all power unless that requirement exceeds alternator rating. Says the battery is used for starting & ignition plus circumstances when the alternator is not active or as said earlier the alternator output is insufficient. None of this is new or revolutionary.

Last edited:
Agree with Jaahn regarding variable voltage & modern controls ~ something was posted a few weeks ago about fitting accessories directly to battery terminals screwing up charging rates & battery life.

Now to what was cut & pasted ~ is no different from what was said regarding the alternator supplies all power unless that requirement exceeds alternator rating. Says the battery is used for starting & ignition plus circumstances when the alternator is not active or as said earlier the alternator output is insufficient. None of this is new or revolutionary.
The last notation states the battery stabilises the electrical system.
A good battery does, a bad one doesn't.
This apparently insignificant fact keeps getting overlooked.🤷‍♂️

I have taken on board what is being said here so much that I today went to Repco and bought a new battery.

Last week I noticed a slight strain in starting and as the battery was 5 years old, I tested the voltage after a good run, and it was only 12.65.

Better to get a new one now rather than try to eke out every last bit from it and then have problems at an inconvenient time. Five years is a good run.

I have taken on board what is being said here so much that I today went to Repco and bought a new battery.

Last week I noticed a slight strain in starting and as the battery was 5 years old, I tested the voltage after a good run, and it was only 12.65.

Better to get a new one now rather than try to eke out every last bit from it and then have problems at an inconvenient time. Five years is a good run.
Yeah I'm lucky to get 5 years. Probably don't drive them enough.
Funnily enough my wife bought a Chinese Chery in 2011 and the battery actually had the Chery logo on it. We gave the car to my youngest daughter and the Chinese battery was over 8 years old before it finally expired.

Batteries 🔋 in MV's today are really important.

Most know one day they work next day they're dead when @ end of life.

Generally what one pays is indicative of life.
In older vehicles Caterpillar ones are GR8.

Just a general observation I bought Kogan white rechargeable home use batteries about 8 years ago & they are still working fine.....Kogan then offered some blue ones that lasted <18 months.
So obviously better quality ingredients were used in their originals.