AL4 geabox problems....

Jonatansort

Tadpole
Hello all,
I have a peugeot 406, 2.0 HDI 2003, and i have a problem with the best gearbox ever made, the AL4. So the story goes like this:
I changes the oil as i was suspecting it to be really old, i did not use esso lt 71141 or the mobil lt 71141. what i used is one from a local car part chain, i got this one because it was easier to get a hold of than from mobil, it is specified to meet the LT 71141 standard and therefore i went for this one.
This is the oil, sorry the website is in norwegian.
https://www.biltema.no/bilpleie/moto...-4l-2000036319

Anyway, it was driving like a dream for around 4 months after the oil change, untill i let my brother in law use my car while i went on a two week vacation. My sister called me and says the car stopped and gave an alarm when her husband was driving it up a really steep hill with a 2000 kg trailer on the back(not good at all) but later on talking to my brother in law he says the car didn't stop, he just realized the car would not be able to pull, so he turned the car around.

The problem itself is that the gearbox is "slipping" it does not lock into gear when it is up to speed like it used to, i am driving on the torque converter the whole time and it never locks. The gearbox shifts gear like normal, all gears are used but not locked. when i release the throttle the RPM goes down to idle.

Another thing is when i start the car, and do not drive right away, the "Shifter" is locked in P and i cannot change unless i turn the car off and back on.

i do not suspect that the oil quality is the problem here as it was fine for 4 months, but maybe a solenoid valve is faulty?

im thinking of changing the oil to mobil lt 71141 just to try it out, maybe it will fix it.
and if it does not help, then i will change all the solenoid valves and give the control system a good clean.

PP2000 does not give me any fault codes.

has anyone experienced this before?
Any idea as to what i can do?

Hello Jon and welcome to the Southern hemisphere to get some aspect of what issues you have.
Sounds like the valve body on the lovely AL4 is not locking the convertor. I doudt you have done enought kms to warrant a full oil change but our query would be did you change the oil several times to remove the old oil from the converor? If not you will need to change a couple more times to clear out the old oil.
So replacement solenoids would be a good start but not guaranteed as valve body could be full of old contaminated oil and the little filter with a magnet on the rear section of vb may need to be flushed but I don't recommend you try unless you have a clean workspace and follow all instructions found elsewhere.
If you can find a new replacement valve body would be a better solution.
Good luck

Dimi

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

I finally found the fault, after seeing the break lights not working, i checked the brake switch on the pedal, the were two switches and i check both, working fine. Then i measured current going to it and it was 6v on one and 1.5 on the other.

I then decided to check the fuses and found a broken fuse, i replaced it and everything is working fine again, yay.
Gearbox is shifting and licking into gear, break lights are working, and i can get the gear lever out of P without restarting the car.

It's weird how something like the break light fuse can cause so much trouble, anyway i have learned to ALWAYS check fuses first.
I now have a happy pug once again!