Airconditioned R10

Leigh Wilson

Fellow Frogger
Has anyone out there heard, seen or done airconditioning on an R10? It gets very hot here in Tamworth in the Summer --> 40 degrees + at times.

yeah Leigh you got it, 4 window aircon plus the dash mounted air ducts.
Fitting aircon to an 1100 motor would seriously kill the available Hp. You'd certainly feel it when you turned it on

There are aftermarket aircon systems out there from places like <a href="http://www.vintageair.com/" target="_blank">vintage air</a> , the R10 being rear engined probably makes things a little more interesting.....

Damien Gardner's right though....you'll kill whatever performance you have there....

I did read somewhere that you can get electric compressors (which probably isn't a bad idea being rear engined)....i have no idea how efficient that would be....
________
Janny1 live

Last edited:
R12's were sold with air con at some point....I'm sure you could find a suitable system from a late model jap/euro small car or an original R12 setup that could be adapted without totally killing the get up and go.

cheers!

Since the engine is in the back, the hoses for the evaporator would be very long, however since the fresh air ducts are very effective, I suggest evaporative air-conditioning in lieu of refrigerated!
I remember using this system to good effect whilst driving the Gordini across the Hay Plains after Jugiong in 1981.
A wet flannel hung in front of the vent worked a treat. Given a bit of thought you could easily set up a system in the plenum chamber using an electric w/screen washer bottle to dribble water over a miniature evap. air conditioning pad.

Major advantage - no power loss!

Robert

I'm no a/c expert, but I think the old fashioned compressors were much less efficient (read: harder to drive) than the newer ones. I think it's the difference between a rotary compressor versus piston type compressor. So the newer ones would be a better bet as someone mentioned.

Stuey

Leigh,

Don’t know about the R10 but I have fitted an aircon compressor to the R12 1.4 litre motor (R12 gas). I made up a bracket that held the compressor and the alternator. This bolted into to holes for the alternator brackets and some of the spare threaded holes in the side of the block. A longer fan belt drove the compressor and a second short belt connected the connected the compressor to the alternator. (The compressor I used had a double pulley). The compressor was mounted as low as possible and the alternator ended up sitting higher on the motor but it did still fit under the bonnet of a 12. This was all connected to a universal type under dash airconditioner through rubber hoses (not aluminium pipes). The rubber hoses do eventually leak a bit more than the aluminium pipes but they have the advantage of being flexible and the rubber provides insulation.
The biggest problem in the R12 was fitting the condenser, as there isn’t much room in front of the radiator and there isn’t any room for to fit a supplementary electric fan either. These shouldn’t be a problem in the 10.
There is some loss of power when the compressor is running but it isn’t too bad, guess this depends on the type of compressor used and the condition of the motor.

Ren

cheers!