the correct amount of lubricant
circulating with it. Petrol burns
too your not meant to ignite it
it's been listed as a safe refrigerant
In houses and cars. It's like the medical
Pros warning against vitamins. Vested
Interests Ivs used if for twelve years
And no fires. Well a petrol one ���� fish

I'm still happy to find out a go - but how do I get a can?
Also what fitting does the small can have - will I need an adapter for the yellow hose that came with my gauges?
Cheers
Alec

I have the 9kg bottle adapter came with it to suite guages.

Phone Hychill in Melbourne to see if they have any other distributors in your area.

Well this could be the last hot day of summer (who am I kidding), but I finally have the 605 aircon working properly - so cold it can make my arm ache!

It's almost certainly working better that at any previous time in our 10-year ownership. Finally the climate control can work as designed - you set a temperature and let it do the rest!

Enquired at Burson's Canberra last week - they also had no small cans, so took the plunge and bought a 4.5 kg bottle. Contrary to Matthew's experience with a 9kg bottle, it came with no adapter, so I was directed to a little place in Fyshwick that supplied such items.

Unfortunately when I got everything home to Armidale, I found the fitting that came with the gauge set was a very tight fit when screwed onto the bottle adapter - will try and get another adapter on-line, as this one is hard to prevent from leaking.

Anyway, went ahead with the experiment. As I don't (as yet) own a vacuum pump (wonder if I could adapt an electric air compressor?), I decided to just top up the gas until pressures were about right

Step 1. Remove caps - immediately found source of gas-loss, as the low-pressure valve was hissing audibly. Valve cap has done a great job of keeping most of the gas in, but will order new Schrader valves (hope 605 uses same ones as some other cars :confused:). In the mean time, additional pressure seems to have stopped the leak.

Step 2. Confirm that gas pressures were indeed low.

Step 3. Added gas until high and low pressures about right. Today, with temperatures in the mid 30s, pressures are 250/41 psi - slightly low according to this chart AC Pressure Chart | R-134a Temperature Pressure Chart

Step 4. Enjoy a car that rapidly becomes comfortable when I hop in - I no longer have to plan to park it in the shade, with windows open, to keep it as cool as possible before use.

Only concern (possibly due to gas mix? - or is it a sign of a weak compressor?) is that resting pressure, with air con off, is higher than Fish's rule of thumb (air temp in Fahrenheit). This apparently means that I have more gas in the system than should be needed. Although my 'official' outside air temperature is about 36C, the car thermometer is showing 43C (parked on pavers, in direct sunlight). Even if I use 43C, the gas pressure should be no more than 110psi, whereas my gauges show it's up around 150psi. Is this something that should concern me?

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
PM Jobo he might be able to give advice as to a suitable older type refrigerator compressor that will vac down a system before regassing, he might also be able to give tips on the regassing as he did that for himself years back.

It was suggested to me at one time that the older style small bee keepers honey refrigerators make a nice portable vac down compressor setup.

Glad to see you doing that yourself and gaining the knowledge. well done.

Ken.

Well this could be the last hot day of summer (who am I kidding), but I finally have the 605 aircon working properly - so cold it can make my arm ache!

It's almost certainly working better that at any previous time in our 10-year ownership. Finally the climate control can work as designed - you set a temperature and let it do the rest!

Enquired at Burson's Canberra last week - they also had no small cans, so took the plunge and bought a 4.5 kg bottle. Contrary to Matthew's experience with a 9kg bottle, it came with no adapter, so I was directed to a little place in Fyshwick that supplied such items.

Unfortunately when I got everything home to Armidale, I found the fitting that came with the gauge set was a very tight fit when screwed onto the bottle adapter - will try and get another adapter on-line, as this one is hard to prevent from leaking.

Anyway, went ahead with the experiment. As I don't (as yet) own a vacuum pump (wonder if I could adapt an electric air compressor?), I decided to just top up the gas until pressures were about right

Step 1. Remove caps - immediately found source of gas-loss, as the low-pressure valve was hissing audibly. Valve cap has done a great job of keeping most of the gas in, but will order new Schrader valves (hope 605 uses same ones as some other cars :confused:). In the mean time, additional pressure seems to have stopped the leak.

Step 2. Confirm that gas pressures were indeed low.

Step 3. Added gas until high and low pressures about right. Today, with temperatures in the mid 30s, pressures are 250/41 psi - slightly low according to this chart AC Pressure Chart | R-134a Temperature Pressure Chart

Step 4. Enjoy a car that rapidly becomes comfortable when I hop in - I no longer have to plan to park it in the shade, with windows open, to keep it as cool as possible before use.

Only concern (possibly due to gas mix? - or is it a sign of a weak compressor?) is that resting pressure, with air con off, is higher than Fish's rule of thumb (air temp in Fahrenheit). This apparently means that I have more gas in the system than should be needed. Although my 'official' outside air temperature is about 36C, the car thermometer is showing 43C (parked on pavers, in direct sunlight). Even if I use 43C, the gas pressure should be no more than 110psi, whereas my gauges show it's up around 150psi. Is this something that should concern me?

Cheers

Alec

If you are using mostly Hychill Minus 30 shouldn't you refer to their charts -

https://hychill.com.au/content/3-info/150303 Pressure Temperature Chart.pdf

From their site: https://hychill.com.au

con...

Thanks con - I think that's reassuring! I presume the pressure figure quoted is for aircon not running? Given that engine bay air temp, even with bonnet up, was well into the 40s (I put a thermometer in there to check), it looks like my reading is not so exceptional as I had feared.

I wonder if published figures for the charge (weight of gas) required for this car might be on the low side? Would explain why more than once after paying for regassing - including previously with Hychill the result was less than satisfactory.

Note that I have not just been getting the car regassed without finding the leak. I had to get a new compressor at one stage, and then I think the pressure switch was leaking, so got a top up after replacing that.

Anyway - my outdoor thermometer still says 34C - perfect time to go for a nice cool drive :).

Cheers

Alec

Alec
I have been an advocate of Hychill, but recently when the Megane was serviced and also aircon regassed I asked about the possibility of using Hychill, and was told that they had used Hychill, but found they had return problems with gas leaking through the hoses themselves?

I just accepted that and went with a conventional air con gas. Very chilly, so far, so good. Can't vouch one way or the other just their experience.

Ken

Alec

... was told that they had used Hychill, but found they had return problems with gas leaking through the hoses themselves?

Ken

They are lying. Hychill gas molecules are larger than R134a hence it is the R134a molecules that leak through the hoses and not the other way around.

con...