Aftermarket ECUs

Goat

Fellow Frogger
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket ECU for the GTi6 motor? There's a few of us messing around with this motor at the moment.

Most aftermarket ECUs can be adapted to most motors but can anyone sing the praises of one system over another.

I may have to replace the ECU on my 205GTi6 transplant cry Does anyone know if these are reprogrammable :confused:

Cheers
Goat

Jeff, I'm no expert on the GTi6 motor or computer but if you do need to go aftermarket, my personal recommendation would be to go for an Autronics. They are good value for money and I have seen them work well in a variety of cars.

If it is mainly the lock-down issue that is causing you to look at aftermarket, I might be able to help out. I did some searching around on the web and some of the other bulletin boards I subscribe to and it looks like the Peugeot immobliser simply used a key transponder with the usual code-hopping approach. All of these systems are reprogrammable and are typically done with a hand-held controller and/or 'red master key'. Someone at Peugeot should be able to help out - what are they saying at the moment?

Let me know if you need more info and I can post a few links and/or help out in other ways as my dad is in the immobiliser business.

If you want an aftermarket ECU for other reasons.. read on..
My 205-Mi16 originally had a Wolf-3d but it was an absolute nightmare and I replaced it with the Autronics which I have to say is excellent. The guys over east have also had good success with Haltechs.

Like most things, you pretty much get what you pay for - any of Autronics, Haltech, Motec or similar are good and I think it then comes down to personal preference and someone knowledgeable to tune it.

Cheers
Steve

<small>[ 05 July 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: WRX2PUG ]</small>

Depends on how much money you've got to spend. If you want the best, buy Motec. Then comes Autronics and Haltech, followed by the cheapies. You get what you pay for. I've been using Haltech's for over 10 yrs and have been very happy with features, reliability and support. Others say the same for Autronics.

One of the limitations of my older Haltech E6A, is that it won't take a signal from a missing tooth Motronic, like found on Mi16's. Do GTi6's have the same type of input trigger? This limitation was overcome on later model Haltechs. For ease of installation, it's important that what ever type you choose, that it can take inputs from the std. trigger and sensors.

Steve & Peter,

Thank you for your advice - I have no clue when it comes to computers. Initially, my priority is just to get the motor firing. I would prefer to not have to replace the ECU. If I can't overcome the lock-down issue then I'll have no choice. I'd much prefer to go with someone who has had first-hand experience with a system as apposed to the word of a sales rep.

I have spoken to Gerry at Allpikes about this issue but because I've yet to reach that stage we've only just touched on the area. I'll speak to him this week to see what Peugeot can do for me if/when the problem becomes real.

My aim was to avoid having the autosparky spend the time fitting this computer,matching connectors etc if the thing was never going to work. On the other hand, this computer is already set to this engine so one would assume setup/tuning to be minimal (yes/no?)

I'll let you know how I do!

Cheers
Goat (aka Jeff)

PS: Steve - how did you go out at Wanneroo on Saturday - sorry couldn't make it (working & hockey match) - we really must catch up soon! What say we catch up for a a_drink some time this week - I'm good for Tuesdays and Wednesdays - I give you a bell.

I'm using an EMS computer on my 205. It doesn't have all the same features as the higher priced Motec, Autronic, Haltech etc but it does a damn good job. In my application where it is basically a race car with some street driving I don't require the same resolution and cruising required by a car that is regularly street driven.

If it is a street car I would go for one of the above 3 although my preference would be swayed by what tuners are available near you and what they have experience in tuning.

An aftermarket computer is only as good as its tuner. You can have a Motec in your car but with a crappy tune its never going to be as good as a well tuned lower priced computer.

Darren

Hey Goat

Like many others have said Autronic are really up there with Motec. Ive heard The Autronic SMC, Haltech are really good.

A friend of mine has the Autronic SMC2 in his Datsun 240Z...he has a RB20DET (R32 Skyline GTS Motor) conversion...and he swears by the Autronic its got laptop data logging ect...heaps of fuel mapping load points ect.

Oh BTW about the lockout feature...i contacted Chris at Regan Motors(Peugeot Dealer) and he should be cutting another key for us...hopefully he can get rid of this lockout feature on the GTi6 ECU.
When its done ill let you know what to do or who to contact so u dont have to fork out $$$$ for an Aftermarket ECU :)

Get a Motec coz you can always update the cruise maps and it's a fully 3D progammable ECU. Spend the dollars and know that you won't have to buy another... ever!

True but if he wants to keep the motor relatively stock then a Autronic should suffice.

If you want to know about using a Motec on a Pug ask Andreas he had one on his 405 :)

Hi Jeff,
Wanneroo was fun - I ended up driving for the WRX team so they asked me to drive one of their WRXs - a 2.2 litre monster with 210kw at the wheels, boy was that fun. Then at the end of the day I had a quick go in the Pug which was great, albeit a bit slower :)

I'm sure Gerry can sort something out re a new key and/or reprogramming the standard ECU. I found quite a few 3rd party sites that do this so I'm sure Peugeot themselves can.

Give me a ring on the mobile and we can catch up Tue or Wed night for a beer.

Cheers
Steve

YEL020:

my preference would be swayed by what tuners are available near you and what they have experience in tuning.

An aftermarket computer is only as good as its tuner.
Darren
here here,.. im getting what at first sounds to be one of those rip off items, a Chiptorque piggy back module type unit. But they are suficient, fully mapable, reprogamable, cheap reliable and mostly the tuner and all in one workshop did all of Luff's 306's and Esscargo 306's plus they are 5 minutes drive from my house... very hard to beat.
From the race cars i see at tracks Motec seems to be the Intel of race cars.
good luck mate, Xq

Thanks all for the info - very helpful.

Gerry at Allpikes put me in contact with a company called Petroject. The guy I spoke to wasn't exactly helpful!!!

Said it was "against the law" for him to "unlock" MY computer.

Said there would be nothing to stop me stealing other Peugeots if he unlocked the ECU.

His way of saying "haven't got a clue!!!" - I reckon.

Gerry said a replacement genuine GTi6 ECU was in the vacinity of 2k approx. These come "unlocked" - ready for programming. Maybe I'll get one of these then go and flog a few a cars! - useless twat!!!

... so the search continues...

Goat

Hi Jeff,

That guy sounds pretty useless. From what I've read, all they need is a 'red' master-key and a hand-controller which they plug into your ECU - they can then reset/set your new code and reprogram your key - it's just a simple transponder. How the the guy thinks you're then going to steal a car without both of these items and a whole lot of knowledge f*** knows.

I found quite a few links for guys overseas that sell these controllers (obviously you wouldn't want to buy one as they're expensive) but there must be people other than this guy in Perth who has one and can help you out. I certainly wouldn't lay out 2k for a new Peugeot ECU when this could buy you a good fully programmable EMS.

My recommendation is to have a look at the following links and see if you can then use the makes/brands etc to track down someone local via a bit of Googling and maybe a few phonecalls.

<a href="http://www.hickleyvaltone.com/ad100/index.htm" target="_blank">Hickleyvaltone AD100 programmings system</a>

<a href="http://www.silca.it/eng/html/body_sdd.html" target="_blank">Silca Transponder Programming System</a>

<a href="http://www.lostcarkeys.co.uk/" target="_blank">LostCarkeys in the UK - info on key/ecu reprogramming</a>

<a href="http://www.chavesgold.com.br/english/transponder/maquinas.htm" target="_blank">A Brazilian site re Peugeot transponders</a>

And.. I've just found a full programming manual for the Peugeot immobilisers including security codes :) I probably shouldn't post that up here so I will email you the link directly.. I'm sure if we keep searching we'll find enough info to do it ourselves.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers
Steve

<small>[ 08 July 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: WRX2PUG ]</small>

What you need to unlock the GTi6 computer is a 4-digit code that is supplied on a little card when you buy the car. (I mentioned this in one of the other threads recently, I think.) With that code they can re-program a key that will unlock the immobiliser.

It might be worth going to a Pug dealer with VIN and proof of ownership, and seeing if they can look it up.

Rek i never got to thank you in the other thread....but yeah ive contacted Regan Motors and they are getting the code for us, we may also get another key cut. Thanks for the info dude :)

Goat when they send us the stuff ill tell you exacty what you need to get rid of this Lockout crap :)

Ahhhh this wait is killing me the car is all ready to go but i cant drive it cause it gets no ignition...dammit i want to drive my N3 GTi6 NOWWWW :)

good to hear WRCPUG, 306 photoshoot when you're back on the road!
check your AZM PM's.

Haha smartass calling me WRCPUG.....ok PWRPUG we can have a photoshoot man...306 Styles.

Ill grab my dads Nikkon F5 Camera and Wideangle lens :)

Rek, all I have here is the GTi6 motor, wiring harness and computer. I didn't get a front cut :( so i don't have the ignition barrel, key or immobiliser unit that makes up the whole package required to unlock the ECU.

The original 205 system doesn't have a coded key immobiliser setup (to change it would mean new ignition barrel and locks throughout). As it was recently explained to me, the key transponder sends the message to the immobiliser unit which, in turn, forwards the message to the ECU to lock and unlock. So without the immobiliser unit to forward the message, new codes/keys won't do the job.

If I could take the ECU only somewhere where they can connect it via an immobiliser unit to the red master key and hand controller I think Steve (WRX2PUG) is referring to - all will be solved. The ECU only needs unlocking for everything to then work.

Thanks to all for the support/suggestions.

Goat

PS: Steve - I've emailed some of those links you suggested - we'll see what comes back. Thanks again for going to all this trouble.

<small>[ 09 July 2003, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Goat ]</small>