Aftermarket DRLs on a diesel engined car

I agreed with Gonz's comments on reflector focus. It was the post above mine. I apologise if it was confusing.

Why don’t you want the drl on when cranking? It would take two tenths of stuff all power.

The factory led DRLs on Alfa for example come on with the ignition before cranking commences…
Just being cautious not to have cranking transients go through the DRLs. I don't like having any lights on during cranking - force of habit from years of lower tech cars, perhaps.

Just being cautious not to have cranking transients go through the DRLs. I don't like having any lights on during cranking - force of habit from years of lower tech cars, perhaps.
Well Alfa Romeo at least don’t see it as a problem ;)

I agreed with Gonz's comments on reflector focus. It was the post above mine. I apologise if it was confusing.
Poor reflector focus and glare when using after market led globes in halogen reflectors I figured is a bonus for converting a fog to a daytime running light - you want it to be eye catching. Once it’s dark enough to have the main lights come on they’re off anyway, so not going to annoying at night when focus and glare become a problem.

Anyhoo, fog lights are useless if you’re not a fuckwit trying to look cool in the maccas carpark. This is a good use for them.

Hi, wise, electronically minded people!

I'm wanting to fit DRLs to my cars. I can easily mount the lights, but when I have talked to auto electricians, no less than 3 have shied away.

"It's too hard.", is the complaint.

All of them have said that the modules that can be purchased off eBay etc won't work properly with a diesel engine, and trying to wire up the lights to come on when the engine starts and then go off when the engine stops is too difficult and/or time-consuming. I couldn't afford their bill (without them telling me how much it would cost).

So, what's so difficult about it? Why wouldn't the ready-made modules work with a diesel engine?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Hi, I have a 2014 Renault Koleos & I have fitted DRL'S to it by just connecting into the parking light circuit. I activate them by just turning on my parking lights & in the Renault when you exit the drivers door it automatically turns everything off including the lights. Mine are great & also have sequensial blinkers built into them also, bought from e-bay for $19. hope this helps.
Cheers,
Barry

Poor reflector focus and glare when using after market led globes in halogen reflectors I figured is a bonus for converting a fog to a daytime running light - you want it to be eye catching. Once it’s dark enough to have the main lights come on they’re off anyway, so not going to annoying at night when focus and glare become a problem.

Anyhoo, fog lights are useless if you’re not a fuckwit trying to look cool in the maccas carpark. This is a good use for them.
I thought my fog lights were pretty good the three mornings I actually drove through fog in the past week.

Hi, I have a 2014 Renault Koleos & I have fitted DRL'S to it by just connecting into the parking light circuit. I activate them by just turning on my parking lights & in the Renault when you exit the drivers door it automatically turns everything off including the lights. Mine are great & also have sequensial blinkers built into them also, bought from e-bay for $19. hope this helps.
Cheers,
Barry
I presume that the Koleos doesn’t have auto-sensing lights.

If it does, then you’re turning off the auto part by manually switching on the parking lights. Is that correct? It’s how it works on the Peugeots I have with auto-sensing lights. And if I followed your path, I’d have to remember to turn on the headlights at the appropriate times!

At least I’d get a very annoying warning chime if I failed to turn off the lights when I opened the driver’s door, even if it didn’t turn off the lights automatically.

Cheers,
Andrew

I thought my fog lights were pretty good the three mornings I actually drove through fog in the past week.
Ah well, let's not forget that point: the whole idea of 'fog lights' is, in fact, a joke.
If there is fog about, there is nothing you can do about it other than drive much slower.

Drive slower in fog, yes without question. But I’m always astonished by the people who drive in fog with high beams on lighting up the fog bank so they reduce the distance they can see instead of instead using the fog lights to light the road under the fog bank.
I assume those drivers never had the benefit of a dad with a Renault 16 to ask “hey dad, why does the Renault have those funny extra yellow lights?”

Drive slower in fog? You have to be joking!

People around here tend to speed up. And it's generally the people in grey, or similar coloured cars who fail to drive with their lights - any lights - turned on. Or, just as bad, parking lights. (Hint, people. If they're called parking lights, they're probably not much use for illuminating the road, or your car, especially during inclement weather.)

In New York State, it is the law that if you turn on your windshield* wipers, then you must also turn on your headlights. I think that most car computers would be programmed that way now, but I'm not certain about that.
It would be a good law for Australian states to follow, I think.