Affordable Handheld Oscilloscope / Multimeter

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
One of those things one sees, doesn't really need, but can see various uses for them.
I did have a reason to look at these, and they were out of my price range ($350 at Altronics - it looks the same unit with different name).
Then I came across a special on Amazon.com.au for $160, so I bought it (maybe not a special - it's still the same price now). Hantek 2C42 model. I think there are plenty on eBay too.
It is a digital multimeter with a built in oscilloscope. Looks and feels pretty good. Battery rechargeable via USB.
One task I will finally be able to complete, is whether my Territory has PWM supply to headlamps or not, a question no-one seems to be able to answer. (Relevant to installing LED daylight running lights). Also will be used in checking the electric pulse to a vacuum switch in an active engine mount system (covered in the Toad Pond)

For someone wanting maybe a better ranging unit, note they come in 4 versions, 40mhz & 70 mhz, with or without waveform generator. This 2C42 is the 40 mhz without generator (although it has the output connector and AWG switch, which I presume I will find does not operate anything.

Anyway, an interesting multimeter to say the least, and in a convenient handheld design, in a nice case.

IMG_20210419_134038966_red.jpg
IMG_20210419_134402205_red.jpg
IMG_20210419_134509924_red.jpg
IMG_20210419_140239914_2_red.jpg

Reactions: COL
For the truly economical, you can use a mobile phone for the display and programming with a bit of extra interface hardware.

Oscilloscopes are handy for checking sensors.

For the truly economical, you can use a mobile phone for the display and programming with a bit of extra interface hardware.

Oscilloscopes are handy for checking sensors.
Yes, I looked at mobile app option, and saw they are good for audio work, but not directly with voltage fluctuations, so you would be right with the extra hardware required - I'm not as smart as my phone though, so I didn't proceed. 😁😁

Hi Fordman. Go ahead and spoil yourself . Sometimes you need to make aspirational purchases.

Nice. I recently bought a DS213 four channel but that's probably more useful.

I would be wary of using a 'scop like that around a car but I guess you'll soon find out how well shielded the thing is. Hgh voltages will probably destroy it too, so be careful what you plug it into.

I bought some time ago one of these:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5fwAAOSw4AdfHkZB/s-l640.jpg

It was in a pretty sorry state but luckily the power transformer was good. I gave it a serious restoration and it is now my go to 'scope. Cost 50 bucks, parts 300 bucks (including NOS CRT). Being a valve unit, it is pretty much indestructible. Only goes up to about 500KHz in the real world, but for audio and car stuff that's more than needed.

Last edited:
I would be wary of using a 'scop like that around a car but I guess you'll soon find out how well shielded the thing is. Hgh voltages will probably destroy it too, so be careful what you plug it into.

It was in a pretty sorry state but luckily the power transformer was good. I gave it a serious restoration and it is now my go to 'scope. Cost 50 bucks, parts 300 bucks (including NOS CRT). Being a valve unit, it is pretty much indestructible. Only goes up to about 500KHz in the real world, but for audio and car stuff that's more than needed.
Specs for the Hantek are here:

It can handle 600 Volts ac/dc on the inputs.

Looks value for money and has software available so no doubt would be able to store traces for future reference. (y)

G'day,
scrapped a 5" dual trace wartime unit a while back, bugger of a thing to pick up, definitely two hand job. It yielded nothing of much value any more but a heavy little tub of 2BA and 5BA nuts and bolts.... :)
That Hantek looks interesting, amazing value the electronic gear we get these days.
Bob

These CROs are good value for the money, BUT always be ready to be tricked by undersampling of periodical waveforms. A simple check is to go to higher sweep rates and check to be sure that the output display makes sense. To be honest, I have been caught out with very expensive CROs doing this!!

Nice. I recently bought a DS213 four channel but that's probably more useful.
OK, another Hantek product. I really just saw the combo multimeter / scope and thought it looked OK for basic (occasional) automotive work, I didn't look much at other units. The DS213 has a wider screen, and is probably a better oscilloscope as a stand alone item.
Cheers.

I am appreciating all the comments, because frankly I had forgotten all about using scopes in auto work. Your post reminded me that I used to own a nice specialty automotive scope in the 1980s when I had my own workshop. Easy to use with inductive clamp for the high tension leads. I took this photo just today at my mate's car workshop - I sold it to him in 1992 - I was then unemployed and it funded my son's first decent RC car (Schumacher Cougar 2 Team car) which set him on the track for a productive RC "career".

IMG_20210420_114747322_red.jpg

I remember driving around with this sitting on my knees in the passenger seat, diagnosing engine problems under load - mobile dynamometer. It is currently not working - mate says he blew it up - no details, but along with your comments I will be careful with high voltage inputs. There is an inductive pickup available for my little Hantek.

Cheers.