adjusting worn 505 pwr steering racks

Haakon

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
How adjustable (via I'm assuming shims on the plunger opposite the pinion) are these things?
This 85 STi has a terrible case of the wanders and is generally nervous on the road - not nice driving in heavy narrow laned traffic as it feels like its going to dart off line all the time. Undulations in the road make it take a new direction abrubtly.
I'm pretty sure its nothing else as its got all newish ball joints and bushes, and there is a bit of clunking from the rack when wheel is jiggled.

Haakon said:
How adjustable (via I'm assuming shims on the plunger opposite the pinion) are these things?
This 85 STi has a terrible case of the wanders and is generally nervous on the road - not nice driving in heavy narrow laned traffic as it feels like its going to dart off line all the time. Undulations in the road make it take a new direction abrubtly.
I'm pretty sure its nothing else as its got all newish ball joints and bushes, and there is a bit of clunking from the rack when wheel is jiggled.

Haakon,
Have you checked the flector?..I am guessing, but if it was going/dying, the steering could be a little un-sharp??

Just a guess.. :confused:
Chris