A3 printers

schlitzaugen

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Anyone know where I can get a cheap A3 printer, can be black and white only? Laser would be preferred, but anything would do, really. Don't want to pay more than say a couple of hundred bucks. Most I found on the 'nets are over 300$ or not in stock.

Needed to print wiring diagrams for french cars, of course. Eyes getting tired of little A4 diagrams.

Your other option is go to the local library or newsagent with a USB drive with files loaded on it and get them to print them for you.

I have done this a few times at the local newsagent when I have needed to print an A3 copy of something, I think it cost about 40 cents per page in colour. For me works out a lot cheaper than an A3 printer and takes up a lot less space.

That's cheap. A couple of dollars for colour here, if only a library was open.

Go to office works. They print out poster size ones. Here’s one I prepared earlier.

Attachments

• 1515B913-111E-47C2-98FC-94B277FDDD23.jpeg
    1515B913-111E-47C2-98FC-94B277FDDD23.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 136
Go to office works. They print out poster size ones. Here’s one I prepared earlier.
I had some A3 drawings printed at Officeworks for council building submission. Surprisingly cheap. I think they had to be PDF. Just took in a USB stick with the files on it. Prices are online.

Reactions: bob
G'day,
OW are good value, but there's a convenience factor, even in the city with all the covid restrictions...
Being in the wilds of the western district I tend to get my own 'stuff' - there's an ancient Mustek A3 scanner here that's slowly dying, with it's replacement on offer for about $650 delivered. the attraction of a shiny new one will likely win out. Printers are another story, the only cheap ones are gonna be inkjet in this size and laser options are a hefty bit of furniture. Inkjet models are reasonable in price but to get value out of it one would need to have it as the go-to printer, A3 or A4, otherwise dry ink and gummed up head are going to be the order of the day.
Bob

Last edited:
Public library employee here, voting for the public library print option. Why maintain your own printer for occasional needs? Even during lockdown, many libraries are staffed and provide "click & collect" contactless services even if closed during normal hours. You may be able to email what you need printed and they'll do it for you.

I located an end of lease monster multi-tray multi-function a3 scanner laser printer for schlitz, but alas it has now been taken. This is a good source for decent equipment if you aren't going to thrash it heavily. There's often a lot of life left.

New inkjets in the price range can be found.

I have already used my laser printer this morning, so the library option isn't convenient, even if the new plague hadn't closed the place for who knows how long.

I've got two Brother A3 multifunction printers. Had them for years, mainly got them to do A3 cad jobs. Great units, scan, copy, print up to A3. Wired and wireless network and newer one we have has airprint for apple devices. Newer one also does double sided scan and print.

Avoid the Epson A3 Workforce range with ink cartridges, I didn't use mine for a couple of months and the print heads clogged up, apparently a very common problem.

Duh!

I totally forgot about libraries and Officeworks. Tunnel vision, I guess. Thanks, comrades.
Hi S :)
A while back I prepared for a building proposal and had a survey done. The plans etc were all digital files as supplied to me. I put them on a memory stick and had Office Works print out some copies including an A2 of the survey. The cost was so low I forget how much. Printed while you wait too ??
Jaahn

on offer for about $650 delivered.
OK, had to edit that price, these things are double the price they were not that long ago !! And, now, more expensive than some brand name A3 MFC machines it would seem.... Rethink called for.
Bob

Syringes, rubber hoses, windex and give the printheads an enema. Then repeatedly run the print head clean routine, which pretty much just drains out the ink cartridges. I never did get the colours to print clearly, even with new cartridges, at which point I swore I'll never buy an Epson again.

Alex, does the scanner section still work if the ink wells are empty/gone/inoperative... ? The buggered head thing is the bane of all ink jets, laser is the way to go but the makers don't subsidise you when you don't have to buy buckets of ink.... :)
Seems to be the way to go just to get the A3 scanner function - Epson/Brother etc scanners have to be better than the old Mustek and look to be less outlay.
Which scanner software came with the workforce ? the old time "EpsonScan" with it's three levels of operation auto/manula/pro, or the clunky modern "EpsonScanSmart" that decides it all for you ?

Bob

Only reason I haven't smashed it with a sledge hammer is the A3 scanner and autofeed still function, but when I find a non Epson replacement I will send video of it being sledge hammered to Epson sales. I consider it unacceptable that it WILL clog if not used at least monthly.
The other dissapointment was the software for the WF-7710, it comes with Epson Scan 2.
I was led to believe it would include a cut down Abbyy OCR program but the fine print is that was only for some markets and other models and only the twain interface is provided.

he other dissapointment was the software for the WF-7710, it comes with Epson Scan 2.
quick web looking suggests that ES2 is the 64bit version of the oldie....
https://www.epson.co.uk/viewcon/corporatesite/kb/index/KA-01076

Installing both Epson Scan and Epson Scan 2 drivers for the same model is not supported, use the guidance below for which version to use:

If only the 32-bit TWAIN driver is required, it is recommended to uninstall Epson Scan 2 and continue to use Epson Scan.
If the 64-bit TWAIN driver is required, uninstall Epson Scan and use Epson Scan 2.

so, you should have the three modes of operation available from the first screen after launch ? select "professional" and you will have scanner software that is the equal of any 3rd party one that I've tried.... :) well, for image manipulation anyway.... I think OCR is an output option.

If not, try uninstalling ES2 and installing the oldie ! EpsonScanSmart is another animal altogether - more suited to just document scanning.

Bob