A110 Rarity

That seems super-early for a 1296. I didn't think the 1255 and 1296 came out until 1966. Maybe because it was for factory competition....but then how was it homologated? Mystery.

Nice one.

Curious about that engine, now. Seems like Renault (or various "moochers" sponging off them) did a lot of crazy and wonderful and crazy things with their basic engines. DOHC engine out of a side cam block that looks like a run of the mill 810 style cast and what looks like a head with the combustion chamber architecture of a 8G head modified(?) for a twin cam setup. Now that is something to blow your skirt. Inspiration for Frans?

And those tires! 125 HP in a featherweight car on pizza cutters. Boy would I like a ride in that thing.

Last edited:
Nice one.

Curious about that engine, now. Seems like Renault (or various "moochers" sponging off them) did a lot of crazy and wonderful and crazy things with their basic engines. DOHC engine out of a side cam block that looks like a run of the mill 810 style cast and what looks like a head with the combustion chamber architecture of a 8G head modified(?) for a twin cam setup. Now that is something to blow your skirt. Inspiration for Frans?

And those tires! 125 HP in a featherweight car on pizza cutters. Boy would I like a ride in that thing.

The factory certificate specifies that chassis 3052 with manufacturing number 423 is a customer competition version with light body and equipped with two petrol tanks. It had been delivered to the famous Corsican Pilot Pierre Orsini, his friend Amédée Gordini suggested to provide him a 1150 double overhead camshaft engine to participate do the Corsica Tour in November 1964 with number 94. This engine equipped at the time the Formula 3 and M63 prototypes, a genuine timepiece. The wizard used to rent his engines at each race, he assembled and disassembled the complete powertrain at the end of the round and insisted that his proper mechanists did the job and performed the assistance. The history of this nice and rare car is very clear and documented with all the various registration cards.

Yeah, I read the blurb, it's all greek to me, but looking at the pictures I was trying to figure out what any of that meant. Formula 3, M63 prototypes, the engine code stamped on the block tag (has a "B" obviously hand stamped over the machine stamped ID). I can distinguish some additions to the top of the head, some sort of bridges to support the camshafts' bearings(?), the four bolts around the spark plug tubes have something to do with the rocker arms, the "external" water pump and so on.

Yeah, I read the blurb, it's all greek to me, but looking at the pictures I was trying to figure out what any of that meant. Formula 3, M63 prototypes, the engine code stamped on the block tag (has a "B" obviously hand stamped over the machine stamped ID). I can distinguish some additions to the top of the head, some sort of bridges to support the camshafts' bearings(?), the four bolts around the spark plug tubes have something to do with the rocker arms, the "external" water pump and so on.

These are the engines that Alpine used in their proto type cars, all explained here.

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...Q#v=onepage&q=alpine prototype racing&f=false

god they are pretty things.

I haven't read in detail but during the 1963-64 years Rene Bonnet, father of the Matra Djet was supplied by I think Gordini with a 998 and 1108 DOHC engine.

Now I don't know who of you guys have ever seen or heard of a 998 DOHC Renault? I think it was the first of the R8 type blocks and not the Dauphine type block. They say that both these engines developed above 100hp powering the Matra Djet to 125mph.

Is this possible that Matra had a Renault based DOHC engine before Alpine?

Some reading here: https://rarefrenchsportscars.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/bonnet-to-matra-final-1.pdf Engine specs found on P7.

Regards, Frans.

Thanks Frans, that is absolutely fascinating the speeds they could achieve with these cars, just because of weights and aero.

Ray

Great article Frans...thanks...the DJet was certainly an advanced piece of machinery...possibly more so than the A110?

Great article Frans...thanks...the DJet was certainly an advanced piece of machinery...possibly more so than the A110?

Fasinating story Frans - thanks. Like the Le Mans version for its style. I guess the D Jet was so good because of its weight distribution with a mid mounted engine different to the A110. Saw a D Jet in Melbourne at the old Williamstown Docks during a Renault Roundup event a few years ago - I think it came from Tassie.

Yes the Aussie Djet belongs to 4CVG here on AF.

Nauli, yes I agree as I wrote in "For the Matra fans" here on AF. For instance 1963 already mid engine, front radiator with Electric fan, 1966 big brakes, however at that stage it came from the R16 and not TS.

Just a pity that Renault withdrew support in 1967/8 but that seems a natural business decision because why would you support and supply your opposition?

Frans

Great read. Apparently the DOHC was developed by a bunch of people working for Gordini for Le Mans specifically. Still not much detail but apparently a very successful engine.

I've ridden in Frans' Jet. I'd love one. Definitely engineered better (I reckon) than the A110 but it didn't get the comparable development over the years when Alpines were in serious competition - I imagine it is more or less what would have happened if Redele had gone mid-engined. Just the pivot system on the gear linkage is a work of art. There's a slight issue with parts for the special ratio Estafette gearboxes that they use..... That gearbox is a fascinating device too, I'd add.