A peugeot problem

spamboy

Fellow Frogger
Gday all, my 1990/91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 (1.9l s1)
is having problem.

well on a run to take my girl to the hospital in am emergency, about 15 minutes drive from anywere warning lights came on (check engine) and my car started to loose power, surged. I pulled over and checked the engine, had oil water etc, alt charging.
The only problem its had is the belts have been slipping a lot causing it to have little power steering. that was at about -1 at midnight

Today going down the road the car lost power, wouldn't rev past 2000rpm lights came on surged a little, then about 15 seconds later returned to normal?

whats going on, sounds like a serious problem - is there anything i can check?

or should i start planning on buying a new car?

please help
Nathan

did the little orange K light come on at the same time it lost power ???

if so check all the relays under the bonnet
i'm not sure which one it is now but there is one there that i had on my series 1 Mi-16 that used to do exactly this
i pulled it out cleaned the terminals then wrapped a cable tie around the relay to keep it in place firmly and the car never played up again afterwards
i had a mate that had an 851 DUCATI that used to do the same thing and he cured the fault in exactly the same way

Nathan,

I wouldn't start reaching for the pills just yet.. cry it's going to turn out to be more of a nit picking problem than an expensive one.
Personally, I'd start at the fuel filter & if that hasn't been changed in a while, it may be a good idea to get it changed & factored out of the equation.
The relays pugrambo is speaking about, I think are in the same spot as a BX, on the drivers side inner guard, at the top & in a plastic bag. Once those two components have been checked, then you have to start looking at sensors & on froggys, they have a habit of placing these in strange places as far as serviceability goes, so chances are a few taken off & cleaned up, re lubed with a spot of silicone grease & refitted may do wonders as well as a check on the oxygen sensor. Also take a close look at wiring to sensors as it is common for wires (due to their location) to become hard & hence give some strange readings or altenatively to break down or be broken internally.

Alan S cheers!

The clear stuff as put out by "Loctite" in a silver tube with red writing. We use it all the time & it makes working around these systems a dream by comparison; everything goes together easy, comes apart easy without force & connectors seem to connect better. Injector nozzles slip in & seal with a minimum of force....love the stuff!!

Alan S

Alan S:
Nathan,

I wouldn't start reaching for the pills just yet.. cry it's going to turn out to be more of a nit picking problem than an expensive one.
Personally, I'd start at the fuel filter & if that hasn't been changed in a while, it may be a good idea to get it changed & factored out of the equation.
The relays pugrambo is speaking about, I think are in the same spot as a BX, on the drivers side inner guard, at the top & in a plastic bag. Once those two components have been checked, then you have to start looking at sensors & on froggys, they have a habit of placing these in strange places as far as serviceability goes, so chances are a few taken off & cleaned up, re lubed with a spot of silicone grease & refitted may do wonders as well as a check on the oxygen sensor. Also take a close look at wiring to sensors as it is common for wires (due to their location) to become hard & hence give some strange readings or altenatively to break down or be broken internally.

Alan S cheers!
on the Mi-16 they aren't in a plastic bag but they are on the drivers side inner guard and they are housed in a box
you will also find fuses in there as well

well i had a look at everything - pulled all the relays out that i could, some in the left box near the wheel tower... there was the computer and a few relays up in the top right that all seemed to be in order, i couldn't really do much the the computer... i rubbed a tissue over the connections and blew into them, can i use something like kerro or something to clean the terminals

incidently, there is a pump looking thing on the right belt which i thought was a timing belt, whats the do?

also with this radiator thing thats going on, its still leaking but seems to be comming from a purpose hole at the top near the cap? would this mean that there is too much rpessure, or the pressure cap is malfunctioning?

thanks for your help guys - if it starts happening again i may have to find a place locally to which im unsure off as there doesn't seem to be much here becides the basic holden, ford toyota dealers..

cheers
Nathan

spamboy:

incidently, there is a pump looking thing on the right belt which i thought was a timing belt, whats the do?
that is the water pump on the right hand side of the engine as you are looking from the front of the car

ok now under the dash there are a few more relays as well behind a panel that you open with a 5c piece
check all of them out as well to make sure they are right
you may have to check all the sensor connections as well on the engine and make sure they are clean and seated correctly
my brother in law had a skyline once that he drove home and the next day wouldn't start and when it did ran like a hairy goat
it was all down to the coolant sensor terminals that were corroded green
they were cleaned up and the car ran like a bird after that

AH WELL, thanks for your help guys...

i think i might put a forsale sign on it and see if i can get some decent money for it and buy a new cheep small car and stick to bikes..

nobody wants it, going fairly cheeply, 8 grand or so if im lucky. lots of new bits... (in Griffith)

cheers
Nathan

I was thinking if this may have been caused by some really bad fuel? as i remember filling the car up at this dodgie fuel place's premium.

car hasn't repeated this problem yet...

cheers
Nathan