A new addition to the Fleet...

Jack Z

Fellow Frogger
Well given that between a series 1 GS 4sp, GSpecial private import and a Series 2 GS C-matic there was an obvious gap (Series 2 GS 4speed) the temptation to do something about it became too great...

As much as I love the Light15, the DS is simply devine and a CX has always been a nice to have (and have never owned any nor come close) there is no greater driving pleasure IMHO than a red lining a GS on a winding (bumpy) road....

So the new baby comes home Monday....! :headbang:

Last edited:
Niiiice! Good one Jack - looks good! Amazing packages aren't they? Something truly special about a GS...

I personally think the GS has the best ride/handling comprimise of all the *proper* Citroens. It's rides nearly as well as a DS, yet handles incredibly well on it's skinny little tires.

I never realised they made plastic bumper GS's, I would have picked that as a GSA from the distance.

She'll look a million bux with a shiny coat of paint.... The bit I don't get is why don't GS/GSA owners paint those plastic bumpers... They looking terrible once the sun gets to them.

I'm considering selling my little GS. Offers of $500bux will probably take it, much less if Ang is around. It needs quite a bit of work after sitting in my yard in the weather for the last 5years (needs a bonnet, no doubt cambelts changed, windows fixed, drivers seat fixed etc...).

Ang has terrible breathing problems if she ever gets in it, so it will never be a car I can use (like a 2cv it's ventilation comes straight over the top of the motor, so even the slightest oil leak, or exhaust/fuel smell is unacceptable).

seeya,
Shane L.

Hey Jack,

What year is your new beast? Must be very late indeed if it's a 4-speed with that trim... 1980? If it's an Aussie-spec one it would nearly be the end of the line?

I'm glad you're taking care of all these cars! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Chris

DoubleChevron said:
I personally think the GS has the best ride/handling comprimise of all the *proper* Citroens. It's rides nearly as well as a DS, yet handles incredibly well on it's skinny little tires.

As much as we all love a DSs and 2CVs, the GS is a sensible (and affordable) hybrid. Proper suspension + that aircooled flat-four screamer = the best of both worlds.

The only reason I don't drive a GS daily:

--They are a pig when cold
--Ang can't ride in them (hmmm, is that a bad thing :roflmao: )
--I can only afford to register one car
--It can't tow a caravan
--It can't tow a big trailer
--It uses nearly as much petrol around town as my CX
--They didn't have fuel injection :( (A GS with fuel injection would be brilliant --it would solve all cold running issues).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
The only reason I don't drive a GS daily:

--Ang can't ride in them (hmmm, is that a bad thing :roflmao: )
--I can only afford to register one car
--It can't tow a caravan
--It can't tow a big trailer
--It uses nearly as much petrol around town as my CX
--They didn't have fuel injection :( (A GS with fuel injection would be brilliant --it would solve all cold running issues).

seeya,
Shane L.

May be you could add fuel injection, custom plenum cheap computer and four injectors and you done. add a supercharger and you could tow anything.. :headbang: :headbang: :crazy:

Maybe a little over the top but it would be fun. That leads me to another thread. Forced induction DS. :nownow:

cheers

Matt

DoubleChevron said:

There's something wrong with it if it's that bad. Is your hotspot pipe hooked up? People often disconnect them in in this part of the world, presumably because it "it doesn't get that cold here" (compared to the correct operating temperature of a GS engine it's cold almost everywhere).

By way of comparison: From stone cold, with a full-choke start, my car can get out of its own way by the time it's come up to full height. I drive out of our under-building parking space, uphill along the driveway (no dramas, no spluttering), go about 300m down the road and there I find pretty much the only steep hill in northern Sydney :rolleyes: If I floor it at the bottom (sharp corner first, always fun) I can go up it in 2nd without loosing speed. Another 500m to the main road and I can push the choke all the way in unless it's a particularly cold day, in which case it needs a couple more minutes. I have to get that cold-air/warm-air flapper thing working, which should reduce the cold-day problem.

Oh, and if the fast-idle linkage isn't quite right they're a bit grumpy at first. I need to tweak mine ("bend the linkage" the manual says :doh: )

A little rant there, sorry.

Chris

Last edited:
Haha nice one Jack!

I agree with the GS comments. It's more fun than a BX16v :)

So you picked up the GS from Goulburn Jack - should be a good one. Did Chris mention what is happening with his ultra hi lift GS?:wink2: (as seen at Strezlecki Park in Jindabyne at Cit In 2000?)

Hey Guys...

Thank you all for your comments... picked up the GS today and drove it back to Sydney with only a few little dramas....

Through some fresh oil into it together with a filter and some plugs for the trip up the M5.

It went along beuatifully except for some carby problems that I will get to in time ... it's certainly clean, straight and rust free but in desperate need of paint... but hey it has NSW rego and a pink slip which was the primary motivation to buy .. given the G Special and the Series I are both without rego.

Shane you're right... when I saw the pics I thought for all money it was a GSA and looking at my Cit books it looks like one from the outside. Unfortunately the Dash is very much GS :( but all the trim, bumpers and interior (including seats and tail lights) are GSA.. go figure. Makes a wonderful sound with a custom built flow through exhaust... :nownow:

Haven't even looked at the compliance plate or the mountain of paperwork that came with it but I will go through it all and let you know what year it was built.

I do know it was delivered new by Continentals not sure when exactly or if it could be ordered with the "GSA" gear as a local upgrade. I'm sure Bill Bunting senior would have if the customer wanted it and there was a buck in it :)

As for your starting and running problems my one running GS starts first go on full choke (even after being idle for months) and is ready to go withing a few minutes...

Craig,

Chris is certainly an absolute gentleman and we had a great day on the farm while I was tinkering... the 505 wagon he has for sale almost came home as well !!!! :crazy: It's a very nice, straight wagon with 270k on the clock and a lot more life left for very little money and anyone looking for a great family run around would be made not to pick it up... (before we do!)

He also has a C5 to get rid of in a hurry and low $20's picks that up me thinks... again a hell of a lot of car for Magna money..

Well I'm hoping to get the GS C-matic ready for Canberra this coming weekend... it needs output shaft seals and if I manage it am planning to make the drive with BX in tow... but then again it is battle of Waterloo so even thinking of bringing the Triumph 2500S... and have a bet each way....

Will keep you all updated on the progress of the new addition... but a drive from Golbourn to Sydney in a GS (even a rough one) is enough of a reminder of just what an awsome little car they are... indeed :cheers:

Sounds like you have done very nicely there Jack, you scored the pick of the 3 cars on offer. Good to see she has found a loving home... treat her well :wink2: (If the pug were closer to Bris, well let's not go there...)

Cheers
Chris

Hi Jack, Congrats on your purchase :)

From the pictures it looks like your GS is an X2 or X3 variant with those plastic bumpers.
Note a GSA has a single piece rear bumper due to full hatchback ability, however an X2, X3 is 3 piece.