A good mechanic experience (for a change!)

dutronc

Tadpole
Well I picked up the bx from Elliot at the French Garage on Friday after he had it for the week to find out what was wrong with it. He was more than a bit surprised at the state of work done by previous mechanics.
The hot start problem that I have had for 2 years and no one has been able to trace he found was due to the air flow meter (which was badly corroded on the inside and not working at all - no one had ever checked it!!), as well as the crank angle sensor which was no longer working; the ignition module (which looked like it was held together by clag glue); the distributor cap and rotor - which was broken and badly glued back together; he then ran an EFI diagnostic scan which found several error codes and various sensors not working.
So, I now have a car that starts every time I turn the key, and runs beautifully smooth. There is still quite a bit of work to be done, including front disc rotors, cv joints, and the fuel injectors (which have never been cleaned or replaced), but what a difference there is already!!
I dont think you could find a nicer guy to work on your car than Elliot. He is very friendly and more than happy to explain things (even to someone with limited understanding like me). He is the most thorough mechanic I have dealt with. He obviously takes a great deal of pride in what he does, so nothing is rushed or done in half measures - if you tell him you have a problem that is difficult to trace he won't give up (like most the others) until he has found the cause and confirmed it, fixed it and tested it - as he told me "I like a challenge!"
After having taken my car to Melbourne Citroen and Paris Motors, I will now not be going anywhere else but to Elliot at the French Garage, I cant recommend him highly enough!!

Happy driving,
Philip

Sounds good..

AFM replacments ... You poor bugger ... those things are EXPENSIVE :eek: :disappr: I priced one for my CX a while back .... hows $700+++++ grab you :eek:

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Sounds good..

AFM replacments ... You poor bugger ... those things are EXPENSIVE :eek: :disappr: I priced one for my CX a while back .... hows $700+++++ grab you :eek:

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Shane,

yes it did hurt at first, $630 for a new one!! :cry:
However it is worth it to have the starter problem finally fixed!!
Elliot showed me the inside of it and it was caked with rust and gunk.
But the worst thing was the rotor, snapped in half and then stuck back together with some glue :eek: It's a wonder the car used to start at all!!
Anyway, the worst is over, and the other things can be done bit by bit over the next few months.
She will be one very sweet ride when all is finished, I'll have to get some photos up to show her off!!

Thanks for the feedback on Elliot Dutronc,

I'm back from interstate and book a service with him shortly (and discuss fitting a Nylander kit to my strut top mounts which is currently in transit from Norway - one of my strut tops is not looking healthy).

Cheers,

Greg

blomquvist said:
Thanks for the feedback on Elliot Dutronc,

I'm back from interstate and book a service with him shortly (and discuss fitting a Nylander kit to my strut top mounts which is currently in transit from Norway - one of my strut tops is not looking healthy).

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes, I'm sure you will be well looked after. Elliot really knows his stuff, having trained with Citroen in France before coming out here. He could see problems with my car as soon as he started looking under the bonnet. I imagine he will raise his eyebrows when you tell him where you were taking your car before - the list of things he found wrong with my bx - a car that had had a (supposedly)major service 3 months ago - is a long and frightening one :mad:
Let me know how you get on, and I hope it's only good news.
I look forward to seeing that xm of your's one of these days.

all the best,
Philip

Philip, how about compiling a list and seeking some redress from where you last had your car serviced(sic)?

Might turn a quid for you or get you trade on some parts or even improve the performance of the place that let you down so badly.

ed ge

How good is Elliot on newer Cits. like the Xsara? Has he got a Proxia tester to check problems with the ECU? There are problems that can only be picked up by the Proxia like when my AL4 tranny needed new electrovalves.

I'm pretty sure he is up to date with his scanning equipment, and can do work on the newer Citroens as well. When I was there I noticed a late model Peugeot 406 that he was working on, so it shouldn't be a problem. Best thing to do is give him a call and ask him, he's very frienly and will tell you what you want to know.

The French Garage
9555 4248 (ask for Elliot)