A freebie if anyone's interested

Alan S

1000+ Posts
Here's a message posted on a Cit forum that may be of interest to Renny owners down Sydney town way.

"There is a mid 70's 12 sedan in yellowish colour just near Avalon shops in Sydney which has been dumped there. It is'nt beyond rescue and would restore very well. There are'nt huge numbers of these cars left at present and seeing an okay one abandoned makes no sense and we should try to get it rescued before some of the night time hoods turn it into a mangled mess.

My dad had one years ago and they are a great little car and something you could easily get attached to, like a Cit.

It is on the road next to the oval opposite the primary school just up from Vintage Cellars - where Alan and I get our Golden Gate from!!"

And before anyone asks...no! I don't go to Sydney to get my "Golden Gate" that's a bit of an "in" joke between me & the poster roll_lau roll_lau

Alan S dance cheers!

HMMMM, although I have no interest in this particular car, Does anyone know what the legal position would be in rescuing an abandoned, and possibly stolen, car. (Although I doubt anyone would steal an R12, even in Sydney, Australia’s car theft capital). When I was living in Sydney, I often saw cars abandoned by the side of the road and each day as I went past, more and more bits would be removed until the whole thing would be gone
Obviously, no one wants to resurrect an abandoned vehicle only to find you can’t get it registered or, worse still, have the original owner turn up and reclaim the vehicle.
I guess, like a lot of other things, laws on abandoned cars are different is each state.

Ren.
cheers!

I dont know about sydney but here in melbourne theres an auction on every saturday morning for abandoned cars where various councils from melbourne are represented. Cars sell dirt cheap and are sold with all papers to give the title to the buyer. Keys arent normaly supplied.

The times ive gone have been pretty interesting: A Fuego for $80, R12 station wagon $50, Rough Citroen ID $100, GS Pallas $240 (i bidded to $200 for this one, very nice car!!! :( )

Ren,

A mate of mine picked up a clanger of a Centura years ago under similar circumstances. He saw it being abandoned & rang the council. They gave him authority to take it home and told him to submit an offer for the car which he did; $100 They also told him that they would reimburse him for collection & storage. He asked how much & they said $95 and for him to send an account for same which he would be paid even if the owner reclaimed or someone bought the car at the abadoned vehicle auction sight unseen (very unlikely) but that he would also have to pay for a share of the costs to advertise all these abandoned cars which was $5 (hence the $100 price tag) It appeared in the council ad and on the day of the auction, he got a phone call telling him to call at the depot & pay the money, collect his cheque and sort out the paperwork.
His wife ended up with a top little runaround for almost nothing.
The council actually traced the original owner to get a clearance signed by him and Terry rang him to ask why he'd dumped the car.
Turns out he'd "donated" it to a relative who didn't like it, bought another car but couldn't trade it and the Council wanted to charge him to dump it, so he just simply parked it on the side of the road & took the plates off. The relly was real impressed mallet :mad: mallet
So it is a bit of mucking about but worth it if the car's OK.

Alan S

Would someone in Brisbane (preferably Southwestern Suburbs) please abandon one of the following; R4, R10, R12 wagon, R15, R16, R17, R18, R20, or Fuego, (as long as they’re not basket cases) and let me know where it is so I can contact the council to recover it.
Or better still, cut out the middle-man (the council) and abandon it in my back yard. I’ll even give you a cold beer and your bus fare home.

Ren
cheers!

Pick a part in Melbourne is good value, as they have an agreement with a lot of councils where they tow all abandonded vehicles and get to any unclaimed ones in return. If you keep an eye on the holding yard where they keep them for the 21 days owners have to come forward, and let them know that you want to buy it before they send it into the wrecking yard you can pick up a bargain (such as my 1990 R21 Marseille 160000 km, electric everything, auto etc. Missing keys and sporting a bit of dash damage where thieves removed stereo with a big screwdriver. $440 GST inc.)