A few upgrades to the 504.

Making a tool to remove the inner nut isn't difficult. I can't recall what size you need, but, after taking some measurements of the inner nut, you get a socket of the appropriate size and carefully grind away the walls of it so that you have four fingers left. If all is well, with some mild force, you should be able to undo the nut, and also tension up the new one.

Last edited:
Postie delivered a parcel today - in the form of a castle nut socket as per above link. I thought the 22mm would fit but was too small. The 24mm just needed a little shaving on the outside. Lower ball joint is removed!

I can now clean up the struts and lower control arm ready for reassembly.

happy days.

Attachments

• Success.png
    Success.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 128
Stage one complete.

I've been waking up in the early hours worrying about the damaged threads on one of the strut tops, but with some patience with the angle grinder and a thread file, they cleaned up nicely and the collar nuts screwed up quite easily.

Now I just need to make a tool so I can do them up properly (not using stillsons!). What could I use I wondered....why not a castle nut socket from my new set....Bingo!

Plan is to cut off the 1/2" drive part and weld on a large nut with a slightly larger internal diameter so it will slide over the shock piston (20mm).

Quick visit to the nut & bolt place tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• Stage one complete.jpg
    Stage one complete.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 127
  • tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 130
Strut closing nut tool is now made....

I ground out the threads on the inside of the nut for a smooth finish. No chance of damaging chrome finish on shock piston

Attachments

• Castle nut tool.jpg
    Castle nut tool.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 104
oh so close!!!!

Passenger side all installed....drivers side, well Murphy entered the garage. I checked the wheel bearing before putting the hub back on and the outer race cage fell to pieces.

So I'll have to wait until early next week until my postie can deliver a bearing kit. Hopefully by Tuesday.

I miss driving the 504! Been off the road for two weeks now.

Attachments

• Drivers side.jpg
    Drivers side.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Outer bearing = cactus.jpg
    Outer bearing = cactus.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Passenger side.jpg
    Passenger side.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Passenger side top mount.jpg
    Passenger side top mount.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 126
Frustrating. So near but yet so far and don't forget that good things come to those who wait! I really like your neat work and attention to detail.

Woohoo...new wheel bearing kit turned up today, so hub rebuild and back on. Car on it's own wheels now.

The late afternoon light is showing two different shades of sage grey along the side....weird.

Attachments

• Drivers side all done.jpg
    Drivers side all done.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 114
  • Back on its' wheels.jpg
    Back on its' wheels.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 116