A Dog for a Car?

Russell Hall

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Some people find the car they have bought is a real dog but is a dog worth as much as a car? Top price yesterday at the Casterton Kelpie Auction was $35200 which would buy some SUV's. Registration and running costs low but depreciation unknown. Online only so the road test that normally happens before the sale is only on video. Warranty ends on delivery but you can insure them.

My understanding has always been that Kelpies, Collies, Heelers, etc. can usually be relied upon to perform, just that some are easier to drive than others?

That is insane. But then again, this was for a working dog, not a fluffy puppy for the kids? Maybe it would pay for itself over time.
I am not an economist but when I see how prices have risen for a lot of things since COVID, I see inflation.

A kelpie is reckoned to be the worth of a worker on the farm or two backpackers. Farms are bigger, flocks larger and well nigh impossible to work without a good dog. There are paddock dogs, yard dogs and some that are good at both. A dog that can load four decks of sheep or muster a flock out of a 200 acre paddock is incredibly valuable. They keep a constant flow of sheep up to the shearers. Pity help a rouseabout who mistreats a dog. Some jobs like crutching trailers need lots of dogs. Dog men get $45 an hour on trailers. Some of the highest prices paid for dogs are by stock transport operators.
The modern safe replacement for the quad bike is the side by side at over $20000 and you'll spend a frustrating time trying to move sheep with one without a dog.

I had a brother-in-law who ran a sheep farm with 7-9 dogs, he got contractors in to do the shearing and crutching but pretty much did everything with the dogs (who were treated like part of the family). The only son of the family wasn't interested in the farm and had moved away to pursue other interests. The dogs weren't much help with the fencing or other farm work but were instrumental in running the flock(s). Said brother-in-law ran a very tidy farm and managed to attract a buyer when many others couldn't, he and my sister are now grey nomads living the life that they couldn't as farmers. :approve:

A good report on the ABC featuring an interview with David Lee, the owner and trainer of Hoover - the $35,000 Kelpie. I found his comments about this dog in particular and training in general to be interesting. Speaking of Hoover he said he had a special way with stock.

"He's just so kind to his stock and just understands what's going on," ... "He can stimulate their herd instinct and get them to do what they've got to do calmly, and he's just naturally like that."

In his interview - embedded in the story - David Lee comments on how Hoover is able to adapt his working style to the stock he is working with, either sheep or cattle, and he talks of his training style with the dogs - creating a positive environment in which the dogs can learn, leading them and not forcing them to do things they don't want to do, I found these to be interesting insights. Equally applicable to training dogs or people! :)

Ian.

A kelpie is reckoned to be the worth of a worker on the farm or two backpackers. Farms are bigger, flocks larger and well nigh impossible to work without a good dog. There are paddock dogs, yard dogs and some that are good at both. A dog that can load four decks of sheep or muster a flock out of a 200 acre paddock is incredibly valuable. They keep a constant flow of sheep up to the shearers. Pity help a rouseabout who mistreats a dog. Some jobs like crutching trailers need lots of dogs. Dog men get $45 an hour on trailers. Some of the highest prices paid for dogs are by stock transport operators.
The modern safe replacement for the quad bike is the side by side at over $20000 and you'll spend a frustrating time trying to move sheep with one without a dog.
I would imagine that an exceptional dog would be of great value for breeding purposes as well as work.

I would imagine that an exceptional dog would be of great value for breeding purposes as well as work.
Like race horses everyone knows the pedigree and performance of individual dogs. There used to be dog trials so everyone knew everyone and their dogs. There is a lot of blarney around selling working dogs. Without the field test at the auction the quality of the video is vital and not having a drone an impediment. Some hire people to shoot and edit the films. If you pay big for a dog and it doesn't work the buyer always keeps it quiet. So there's always talk about whether individual dogs were worth the money or others over looked. You can either sell pups or keep them on for a couple of years and train them up. Some dogs are useless and others sheep killers. Some buyers can't get the dog to work. Most pups are pre-sold before birth. Ours are all sleeping by the fire before they go away for the night.