A champion among railway bridges

We use the CFA map books which are detailed, accurate and impossible to read in a moving tanker. The old ones were better because they gave the clear locations of houses and names of the people. Not that good for picking road quality.
I like Lane although I suppose it has a different meaning in the city. Road implies it actually goes somewhere. Our lane was unnamed and, vanity of vanities, I got it named after us. If I ever move I'll take the road sign. I see our ancestors also had a lane named after them in Snake Valley.
I wonder how the residents like Madmans Lane near Carisbrook.

My lot had a couple of lanes, but the councils have renamed them roads. They ended in dead ends at the gate.

Nearer Sydney we are seeing roads named or renamed XYZ Close - even when they are two or three km long and quite unenclosed. They are not through roads.

There's still a Meurant's Lane, named for an early owner, that runs off the Old Windsor Road in western Sydney through a built up suburb.

The house at the end of the street has a designated laneway down the side of it.
The top 30m is mowed as the house's entrance is on the side of the block.
I was talking to the guy that lives there and he has a man cave set up in the shed facing the side entrance. He was sitting watching TV a few weeks ago and and old Pajero went whizzing past his gate, BANG, CRASH.
The out of town driver was following his GPS, drove down the mowed strip, into the 6' grass and scrub, over a rock ledge and into a tree.🤷‍♂️
On a positive note, at least the tree stopped him and his family careening down into the creek.

In the bush little used tracks get overgrown, people sometimes push new tracks in and the oilsearch companies cut straight new lines offering choices not on the map. Confusing, particularly at night. I took up carrying a compass but our modern person savvy with new technology probably uses some sort of GPS with satellite link. I'm more at ease with the old manually calculated grid reference system.

In the bush little used tracks get overgrown, people sometimes push new tracks in and the oilsearch companies cut straight new lines offering choices not on the map. Confusing, particularly at night. I took up carrying a compass but our modern person savvy with new technology probably uses some sort of GPS with satellite link. I'm more at ease with the old manually calculated grid reference system.

As you should be! The roads in most of Victoria have suffered many re-alignments over the centuries and navigating in rallies can become extremely difficult when the road has been re-aligned three or four times. Nasty rally directors would often use the old pre re-alignments instead of the current road to trap young players. Accurate map reading was vital!