A/C compressor compatibility - 307 HDi

melon

Fellow Frogger
Hi guys,

So, i believe my compressor has died/caked it somehow.

Car is a 307 HDi 2006 2.0L

Pulling the part numbers off the compressor I get 965191180 and it is a Sanden SD6C12 that has 134a and 1350F.

I have seen others from a turbo diesel with different numbers, same model compressor the SD6C12 but with 1351F

Can the 1351F be used where a 1350F is used.

Cheers

What has happened it’s not just the clutch bearing

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

So it does trigger, however it isn't cold. I assumed it needed gas. Got someone to regas, he put some gas and oil in the lines. It still doesn't get cold.

Most likely the compressor isn't working, is what he said.

So the clutch comes in possibly the variable part of the compressor but I would do a bit more diagnosis are you getting a pwm signal to the back of compressor no your fans work ok on 307s the fan resistor can fail and this can cause the compressor to run at no load

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

This stuff isn't rocket surgery.

"The most likely the compressor isn't working" is a pretty poor diagnosis.

There are very straightforward tests that will determine why the system is not cold.

The Sanden units are ubiquitous. The thing that sets them apart is the end plate with the spigots, these go off at different angles and vary from car to car. If the one for the 307 is hideously expensive (I think they are from memory) get one that is of the same family, buy an end plate gasket and swap the old end plate to the new body. (I've fixed a leaking compressor, by pulling it down, changing the oil, replacing the gasket and re-tightening the housing bolts. A bit fiddly and time consuming but that's all)

When was the last time the cabin filter was changed BTW?

This stuff isn't rocket surgery.

"The most likely the compressor isn't working" is a pretty poor diagnosis.

There are very straightforward tests that will determine why the system is not cold.

The Sanden units are ubiquitous. The thing that sets them apart is the end plate with the spigots, these go off at different angles and vary from car to car. If the one for the 307 is hideously expensive (I think they are from memory) get one that is of the same family, buy an end plate gasket and swap the old end plate to the new body. (I've fixed a leaking compressor, by pulling it down, changing the oil, replacing the gasket and re-tightening the housing bolts. A bit fiddly and time consuming but that's all)

When was the last time the cabin filter was changed BTW?

Ok good help

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Some of these also have problems with mixer flap motor gears check the heater gets hot then not on both sides.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

So yes, the clutch does kick in.

To answer some of your points.

I am fairly sure the fans are running. I will double check.
Will also check the signal - is this the connector (yellow)?
It is hot on both sides and will change temperatures when adjusted like it should.
I assume the cabin filter hasn't been changed in a while. I am doing service on all oils/filters bit by bit. Focusing on aircon at the moment because it is hot! So it will get a new cabin filter now plus new comp (recond comp) and re gas

I believe they are similar. Although the exact compressor i can get for about 50 - 100 more. It isnt too expensive, although getting one 100 cheaper and just swapping over the older parts does sound okay to me :D. Is this a hard process? Where would i get this gasket too?

It’s the connector at the rear black ? Do you have a code reader any faults in the engine

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Is thru the A/c vents cool but not cold?

If yes then change then I suggest replacing the cabin filter first. When clogged they can cause some odd issues.

Well if you think that could be a problem start the ac let it run a bit then large ac pipe and the damper big thing on large pipe should be cold to touch shame your in bris a bit short on tech talent up there

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Hi,

Have a diagbox/pp2000 no faults relating to aircon or non at all.

Aircon pipes do not get cool to touch. It just blows in whatever temp the car is running at (so on a hot day youd prefer the windows only lol) but it can heat it more if that make sense.

I dont think its the cabin filter clogged as the pipes dont get cool.

when checking the black connection, is there certain amount of voltage? It looks like a 2 pin connector

So all in all you had gas you have power to clutch and some sort of signal to the controlled swash plate should be checked with a scope but that will do I guess compressor there are some aftermarket options but being older most wreckers will have one.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ended up finding a wrecker locally who had a car come in. Took a while for delivery as the courier messed it up. Finally got under the car and bolted on the hopefully good compressor. After a regass she is blowing nice cool air again :D