'93 205 Si budget restomod

I think it depends on state but both WA and SA don't like them. Don't know about others.

Grinding callipers is not illegal as far as I know. When I upgraded mine (on a series 1 GTI) I had to use the Si hubs and I seem to remember there was only very little contact so I don't think there would be a lot to grind off. You could of course take the callipers to a shop and have them machined nicely. It's not a hard job and shouldn't be expensive. I didn't have my milling machine back then, but now that is what I would do.

On the other hand, there are much more tyre options with 15" rims so that might be a consideration too. See Peter's (4cvg) threads.
Does anyone know how the series 2 Mi16 wheels might fit on an Si? For the same reason as noted above regarding tyres I’m keen to get them to replace the current 13”, plus they’re a lot cheaper than trying to find a set of 15”speedlines (or C5 steelies)

Attachments

• 8C268FAF-0AD0-451C-A24C-0462118C3394.jpeg
    8C268FAF-0AD0-451C-A24C-0462118C3394.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 140
From memory, the 15” Mi16 wheel fits better on drum brakes than disc brakes. ie the track width is slightly different, allowing the tyre to rub on the ARB plastic cap, on disc brake arms.

Hey Odddit, sorry to jump in on your thread but since we’re talking Si’s. I’ve just started cleaning and pulling apart a red one that I stumbled across 😃 I noticed that it was missing the air reheater pipe (shown below in red). It then struck me that the whole setup seems a bit unnecessary (?) are people “deleting” them and if so is there a neat way to do it?

Attachments

• 740BC214-979F-43A1-B0D7-6197379E453D.jpeg
    740BC214-979F-43A1-B0D7-6197379E453D.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 130
From memory, the 15” Mi16 wheel fits better on drum brakes than disc brakes. ie the track width is slightly different, allowing the tyre to rub on the ARB plastic cap, on disc brake arms.
So would that mean they’ll be fine on the rears but the fronts could have issue?

So would that mean they’ll be fine on the rears but the fronts could have issue?
No problem at all with fronts. On the rear they may hit the inner guards as the extra .5 inch over the SRI wheels is on the inside.

No problem at all with fronts. On the rear they may hit the inner guards as the extra .5 inch over the SRI wheels is on the inside.
Can confirm (via testing with my own s2mi16 spare wheel) the rears rub. Sorry could have saved you all the questions and just done it myself to begin with!

This one has 405 wheels (over 206 calipers): https://205.si/blog/2021-07-04
oooooh neat I really like some of the 405 wheels. wish i'd pulled the mags off my old 405 wagon before it got scrapped.

Hey Odddit, sorry to jump in on your thread but since we’re talking Si’s. I’ve just started cleaning and pulling apart a red one that I stumbled across 😃 I noticed that it was missing the air reheater pipe (shown below in red). It then struck me that the whole setup seems a bit unnecessary (?) are people “deleting” them and if so is there a neat way to do it?
good to know I'm not the only one going down the Si rabbit hole, got any pics?

You scrapped a 405 wagon?! Why would you do that?
Early this year, drove down to Melbourne in it, worn suspension on it caused a blowout on a rear tyre, had to limp it a good 100 or so k's down the hume, second scariest drive of my life, spent a good week or two getting new tyres on, fixing the suspension bushings, get it all buttoned up and test drive, what do I find but it's pissing diesel from the injection pump.
Listed it for sale here, probably at too high a price in retrospect, but I'd just dumped several hundred into tyres and suspension parts, left the keys with my brother, bought a Volvo 940 from an incredibly sweet lady for $400, and drove that back to Brisbane, though it did blow a water pump and thermostat when I was in Sydney, and that's what I'm still dailying right now (It's ignition system is failing on me ATM, but it sure is sweet when it's running).
Screenshot_20211019-100040-595~2.png

Eventually, the wagon didn't sell, got an abandoned sticker slapped on it, so I called up I think pugwreck to take it off the street, so at least it went to a fellow frog. To supply parts. God was that a sweet rig though, 1000k's on a single tank of diesel.

here’s mine as it arrived on the back of the tow truck
8E36E36A-6B45-421F-80F0-632C4DEF76F9.jpeg

First thing I did was give it a good clean inside and out
71D2A342-6B6A-44DF-B8E8-E54CF50DEA4A.jpeg

Little bit of iron contamination (purple) but it cleaned up well
BE965A34-2F8F-43E2-B92F-B04285D8D56C.jpeg

Next I replaced a bunch of of lights/lenses (big thanks again to Graham Wallis), test fitted one of my 15” Mi16 rims, unfortunately found they don’t fit on the rear. Not much action since then, just waiting on some new filters to arrive so I can do a replace of all fluids.
B1684E89-3249-49A5-91D4-43337C5093D8.jpeg

B1684E89-3249-49A5-91D4-43337C5093D8.jpeg

Attachments

• 9F8F3027-2425-4C81-9B41-D07BF30497B3.jpeg
    9F8F3027-2425-4C81-9B41-D07BF30497B3.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 131
I have a set of 205GTI pepperpots in reasonably good nick if any of you guys want them. They're in Perth though.

Well at least the wagon lives again in bits and pieces. Very rare, and especially in diesel. Don't know what I'm talking about but I would have tried to find a diesel pump locally, s/h of course.

My wife's '94 MI16 did over 1000k's on a tank too.

Jared,

Is that the one that was sold on graysonline recently. If so it had pretty low kms.

I bought a 205 Si off Graham back in June as a father/son project to fix up so my son can take part in Motorkhana now he is 12. We are giving it the 205 Rallye clone treatment, stripped it down to pretty much a shell and have been progressively cleaning it up. The side strips left behind a black foamy sticky stuff that literally took a week of picking back with finger nails and prepsol to get it off. Wheels are coming off tomorrow so we can get them powder coated. The interior has been washed and shampooed and came up remarkably well for 237kms.

Attachments

• IMG_5913.JPG
    IMG_5913.JPG
    563.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6410.JPG
    IMG_6410.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 136
Jared,

Is that the one that was sold on graysonline recently. If so it had pretty low kms.

I bought a 205 Si off Graham back in June as a father/son project to fix up so my son can take part in Motorkhana now he is 12. We are giving it the 205 Rallye clone treatment, stripped it down to pretty much a shell and have been progressively cleaning it up. The side strips left behind a black foamy sticky stuff that literally took a week of picking back with finger nails and prepsol to get it off. Wheels are coming off tomorrow so we can get them powder coated. The interior has been washed and shampooed and came up remarkably well for 237kms.
Yes that’s the one. I didn’t really have a plan for it when I bought it but just enjoying cleaning it up and getting it back on the road. I’ve got a pretty nice s2 Mi16 that ive had for almost 20yrs and is all original so the Si is a bit of chance to customise/tweak

What wheels are those that you’ve powder coated. And where did you get the rallye badges from?

Jared,

237 kms and 5 years of hard use in club level motorsport. Know what you mean about the rubber strips I did the same on the 505 which is the 205s replacement. The 505 will be more suitable for outback events and driving and can be used to replace my 504 wagon as a tow car in the future. Still drive a 205 every day and have one more spare!

I found WD40 works well to soak most gummy residue left behind by stickers, labels, trim double sided tape, etc. Needs a little bit of effort to clean off not too bad. If that doesn't work, there is a gum and label removing spray I bought from Altronics made by Chemtools and works really well:

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/chemtools-ctlr300-300g-gum-label-remover