CX top mount -- pork chop

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

quite a few years ago I purchased a bunch of parts someone had imported from the UK. Among them was several stuffed pork chop mounts, and a bush that's apparantly from a bedford truck. Note the two layers of rubber separated by metal layers.

It would fit perfectly as is (yeah slightly wider, but that wouldn't matter). The guy I bought the parts from said you cut them in half and make two mounts with them. Thinking it would be similar to using a solid bar where NVH is concerned I figured cutting it in half would halve the torque needed to depress the rubber.

The rubber is actually much softer than the rubber used in a standard CX mount. So it's possible this may well be ok ??? We'll soon see I guess :confused:

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the bush... to cut in in half I just used a hacksaw. You need to keep spraying the blade with lubricant to cool it so it doesn't stick to the rubber. (eg: WD40)

attachment.php

To get the old bush out is a pain. I didn't have any sockets or pieces of pipe that would fit onto the metal outer of the bush so I could push it out. To get rid of the rubber part I just grabbed the biggest socket I had and loaded the bush in the press, then gently heated it... it then simply fell out leaving the rest of the metal outer band behind. So I painstakingly cut through that with a hacksaw blade and chiseled it out. Definitely I'll find some tube or something that sits against the outer bush exactly so it can be pressed out before I did another.

attachment.php

The center bore hole is larger. Most probably wouldn't worry about this ..... but I have a lathe I can play with :dance:

attachment.php

I just turned down the center out of the old bush to pass through the newie ... making it a perfect fit :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The new bush fits **perfectly**.... You'll need to hammer/press it in. If we can figure out exactly which truck this bush is from (apparently bedford), we may have the answer to cheap top mount rebuilds.

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• P1050280.jpg
    P1050280.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 545
  • P1050279.jpg
    P1050279.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 552
  • P1050278.jpg
    P1050278.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 531
  • P1050277.jpg
    P1050277.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 576
  • P1050276.jpg
    P1050276.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 567
  • P1050275.jpg
    P1050275.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 581
  • P1050274.jpeg
    P1050274.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 563
  • P1050273.jpg
    P1050273.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 563
Nice one Shane.

I don't think I've ever seen a bush like that, with a double inner.

Good luck trying to ID it!! Maybe a vintage agricultural show/museum, with old Bedfords and the like, and the folk who restore old trucks? Someone will take one look at that and say "that's a (*)&_(&* I imagine.

If you send me a decent photo with a scale (tape measure alongside, and exact external dimensions before you buggered it up, I'll put the photo(s) in the car so I have it/them when anyone potentially useful is around.

Cheers

There is a chance my mate who resores trucks in Kynton will identify it. I'll send him the photos and we'll see.

Shane, What are the dimensions of the original bush? OD of bush, ID for bolt, width of the casting, width of the metal tube for the bolt? If it's 65 or 70mm OD for the bush, then there may be an off the shelf Citroen bush to suit, although it may be wider.

Found the original piccies from ages ago...

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 228
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 236
  • mount3.jpg
    mount3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 238
  • mount4.jpg
    mount4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 225
  • mount5.jpg
    mount5.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 238
  • mount6.jpg
    mount6.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 232
There is an engine stabiliser link bush 180916 for the BX/Xantia that's 70mm OD, 10mm ID (needs 12mm), 40mm width of steel ring casing and about 52mm (needs 46mm?) across the centre section. Not quite what would seem to fit the alloy casting, but you could probably modify it and press it in. It should be around $40. However, there was that orange urethane solution ex-UK and possibly this one from Shane too, which may be better options.