Paint Codes for DS Roof/Wheels

knipdlo

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I've set my ambitions high tomorrow, its time to paint the hood and roof on my DS.. Before I know it the snow will be gone, and I'll be bringing a fleet of classic cars back on the road, and of course that will be a tough project to fit in..

So tomorrow I'm going to bring a fender down to get it colo(u)r matched so hopefully my silver streak will be no more.

While I'm at it I want to have them mix me up a couple of cans of the original off white roof color that would have been used. I have been successful in finding the name of the color, but not a color code- or a color that would be commonly found and be a matching (or at least close) matching color.

Bear in mind, that the paint job I'm doing is only temporary. I'm planning on doing a full paint job when I can save up the money for a really good one that a friend of mine does.. in the mean time, the roof is flaking badly exposing the fiberglass underneath and I want to preserve it. Also the hood will just look 100 times better if it matches the rest of the car..

Final Query: does anyone know what the paint code is for the wheels? Its a 66 DS Pallas with chrome wheel covers, so just the lip is showing but all of the wheels need paint. I think its a metallicish gray/creme color, but I've never really seen one close enough to know- and I think I heard that the color on the IDs and such were different..

Again that paint would only be temporary, when I do the body I'd dip and coat the wheels and get them done done- for now just to spruce it up, and keep them preserved under a safe coat of paint!

Thanks so much!
Tim:headbang:

Best bet would be to peal the paint off the roof. It doesn't need to be painted, so all the delaminated paint will be doing is holding moisture under there :)

To repaint you would really need to strip it back to raw fiberglass. I'm not sure what would be the best chemical to use to prepare the plastic. As dumb as it sounds it may even be soap and water. Then use a plastic primer ... or epoxy and overcoat with whatever your favorite paint system is :) Ask your paint store if they think you need a flex additive in the paint, the DS roof can flex a long way if someone pushes on it.

I wouldn't even try to match the paint if your going to paint it in the near future. But if you do, just take the fuel filler flap to your local auto-paint store and get them to mix your up some paint that matches.

seeya
Shane L.

Thanks for the reply Shane,

I think you're right I suspect that the roof paint would come off very easily, and it is raw fiberglass underneath.. When I wash it a little more comes off every time and its starting to look barren!..

Maybe I'd leave the roof but the hood is kinda an eyesore..

Its partially to appease my mother who despises having "junk" around the house.. Incredibly, she likes the D, but does complain about how ugly it is like that.. I figured I'd blow the hood blue at least so it matches.. right now it looks kinda:

citroen-36.jpg

and the wheels look like this:

3c34430b.jpg

not bad in the centers, and would probably clean up- but the edges you see with the covers on are starting to rust sorta..

Thanks!

Final Query: does anyone know what the paint code is for the wheels? Its a 66 DS Pallas with chrome wheel covers, so just the lip is showing but all of the wheels need paint. I think its a metallicish gray/creme color, but I've never really seen one close enough to know- and I think I heard that the color on the IDs and such were different..

Tim:headbang:
Here you go Tim.

[FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial]Special colors for the engines and hydraulics
[FONT=verdana,arial](model years 1956 until 1975)
[FONT=verdana,arial]color code[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]name[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]model year[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC209*[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Noir Black (barrel and spheres)[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'56-'66[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC209[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Noir Black (chassis Berline)[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'56-'75[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC129[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Gris Machine Outil Grey (hydraulic)*[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'56-'66[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC136[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Gris Rosé Grey Pink (chassis Break)[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'60-'75[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC502[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Vert Green (all hydraulic parts)[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'67-'75[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC501[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Vert Green (engine, gearbox)[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'56-'75[/FONT] *) Special paint, resistent to the LHS2 hydraulic oil and was used for the mechanical parts of the hydraulic system.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial]Wheel colours [FONT=verdana,arial]color code[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]name[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]model year[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC 140[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Gris Grey
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]57-'62[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC 604[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Bleu Nuage Sky Blue
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'57-'59[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC 136[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Gris Rosé Grey Pink
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'63[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC 102[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Blanc Paros White
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'63-'67[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]AC 140[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]Gris Grey
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial]'68-'75[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

According to Reynolds/deLange, your wheels should be
AC 102 Blanc Paros.
Refering to Le Grand Livre by O. de Serres the same.

Which indeed is a grey.
I have the original colour " chip " for the colour and a set of wheels freshly painted. The matching was done by eye to the colour chip range "wheel" for the 1966 model year.
I'd post a pic, but it isn't going to show you anything except the colour balance your monitor shows.
A little confusing I'll admit.

Last edited:
:worship::worship:Hi Tim,very sweet early DS you have there. Just to add to what Jackafrica has told you,in the Original DS book by John Reynolds/Jan De Lange,the likely color for your roof is mostl likely Bleu d'Orient code number AC 616. Iwas wondering if your car has a metallic disc with the body color code in the engine bay,usually at the back of the bulkhead. It will have a number prefixed by the letters AC I am sure there will be others here than will try anf help you. Cheers and enjoy your godess. Joe

Attachments

• dscit 001.jpg
    dscit 001.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 884
Thank you all for your replies!

The car was in-fact originally Brun Sardone (AC420):

Original1.jpg

So what I'm struggling with right now is: Keep it blue (which doesn't seem to be the same as the Citroen blues that are available (especially 1965/66 model year)) but a color that I like quite a bit- OR go back to the original AC420 paint...which is a color that I find a little less appealing.

I was told by the family of the original owner that the color he painted it was a Citroen color off of a newer car, so maybe its the blueish color from about 72.. its just been in SoCal sun for the last 25-30 years and its lost some of its color..

But thank you nonetheless for the color codes! EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Tim

:worship::worship:Hi Tim,very sweet early DS you have there. Just to add to what Jackafrica has told you,in the Original DS book by John Reynolds/Jan De Lange,the likely color for your roof is mostl likely Bleu d'Orient code number AC 616. Iwas wondering if your car has a metallic disc with the body color code in the engine bay,usually at the back of the bulkhead. It will have a number prefixed by the letters AC I am sure there will be others here than will try anf help you. Cheers and enjoy your godess. Joe

It seems based on what you're saying, and the pictures I have here- and what documentation I have about the car based on build dates/delivery dates- the car has a color combination for 1966 (Brun Sardione with Gris roof?) BUT that doesn't match the book? What color would have been used on the roof in 66 if it wasn't Bleu d'Orient?

Nevermind- I looked again, and realized Gris Argent (metallic) was available from 58-67 so that would be the original roof color...

Spot on Tim. You are correct,but also other colors for the roof on 1966 cars,were Blanc Carrare, Gris Rose/Gris Palombe or Plastique Blanc. These cars are so beautiful,that you can paint them any color you like and they will always look divine. Cheers Tim :dance: Joe