87 505 SLi 8 seater manual wagon for sale in Canberra

James S

Fellow Frogger
We need a bigger vehicle so unfortunately it has to go. Details:
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Very well presented 1987 8 seater 505 SLi wagon
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">2.0 litre XN6 motor with Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection - runs best on premium unleaded
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">converted to manual in Sept last year when auto died (we bought it like this) - conversion done by Bill McNamee and Richard Adams of Canberra Peugeot Association
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">New clutch master cylinder and clutch kit Sept last year
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">4 speed manual (late model 504 gearbox)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">overall condition very good to excellent
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">passed ACT pits inspection Sept last year
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">3 full months' ACT rego
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">silver in colour
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">reasonable tyres (Michelins)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">excellent interior
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">excellent air conditioning (regassed Sept last year)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">central locking
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">electric windows (front)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">power steering
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">professionally tinted windows (looks great)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Towbar - electric plug works fine
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">standard Peugeot stereo
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">new alternator (Feb)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">new Bosch fuel pump (Feb)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">new rear mufler (March)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Excellent brakes
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Previous owner had car maintained by Alpine Motors, ACT.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've been told that the engine has been rebuilt at some point in the last few years but cannot confirm this. However, it runs very cleanly anyway.
It took the family to Brisbane Oct last year) and Mebourne (Feb this year) without a problem.

Some prety minor things needed (e.g. A/C blower fan has sticky bushes, LHS mirror internal adjuster broken off, rear wiper motor needs overhaul (bushes), speedo reads very high due to different drive in manual gearbox compared to original auto (probably easily corrected - I have a 504 TI speedo that could be used if the 505 one can't be 'adjusted' - just haven't had time to look into it), tends to run roughly when cold but fine when warm, needs fuel cap (has temporary one currently)).

I am asking $5,000 negotiable. I will also be advertising it in next week's Canberra Times.

I can e-mail photos. Don't know if I can upload them here unless I have a web site link?

Please call me on 0414 243 291 anytime or e-mail me on <a href="mailto:jpsdc@hotmail.com" target="_blank">jpsdc@hotmail.com</a>

James S

A BIGGER vehicle , James!!

I'll keep an eye open for well priced Volvo buses in the Melbourne car columns! wink

Good luck with the sale. Should be a nice vehicle too with the time and money you've put into it.

Cheers

Rod

I have a non-TI speedo that can be used rather than playing with the more valuable TI speedo...

Also available... one only 5-speed BA10 gearbox that has been modified to fit in place of 4-speed. Buyers please note.

Rod,

Yes - a bigger vehicle. My wife found that 505 just too small with a new born baby and all of the gear that goes with the baby. I really liked the 505. We did sell it for a good price.

I advertised it in the Canberra Times and sold it on the spot to the first looker who has been around Pugs for years. I was honest with him and told him about the bad points of the car, plus the good points of course - so he knew exactly what he was getting.

Just prior to selling it, I found that the thermostat was virually non-existent and that the exhaust engine pipe had a crack in it. I fixed both during the week and ran the car in the driveway to make sure that it was all fine. It seemed to start and run heaps better than ever before in the time that we owned it (only since Sept last year). I didn't even get a chance to drive it myself to really see the difference. It was a really quick sale which totally took me by surprise.

I had a second caller who as it turns out, is interested in buying my 504 wagon as hers was burnt in the Canberra bushfires. So, my plan is to get it all OK for her and hopefully she'll still want to buy it in a couple of week's time. I will also be getting my Lancia HPE back on the road after rebuilding bits of it (16 months) so will be out of Pugs for a bit. Then again, I will probably get another 504 or 505 once I have played with the Lancias (I have another HPE that I will get onto next) for a bit.

Ray: The TI speedo - I am pretty sure it is a TI one but I'll check with Bill McNamee. How much is a TI one worth or are you really meaning that they are harder to come by? I am planning to give it to the new owner of the 505.

James S

James S:
Ray: The TI speedo - I am pretty sure it is a TI one but I'll check with Bill McNamee. How much is a TI one worth or are you really meaning that they are harder to come by? I am planning to give it to the new owner of the 505.

James S
I think Ray is pulling your leg. There's no difference between the 504TI and 504GL speedo. The difference in calibration is in the speedo drive in the gearbox. From about 1979 the speedo goes to 210kph instead of 200kph and the odo goes to 1,000,000km instead of just 100,000km.

As for speedos to fit the 505 series 2, a "PJ80" speedo from a 1980 or 1981 505 works with the 504 gearbox, and I think it might be physically closer to the size of the 505 Series 2 speedo. From 1982 or 83 they had a PJ82 and then a PJ820 which will be just as inaccurate as your series 2 speedo.

Dave

<small>[ 11 April 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>

No, my purpose was to keep the tacho intact...

The speedos are the same, but if you have to pull a speedo out of an instrument cluster, better that it comes out of one that isn't as useful.

<small>[ 11 April 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Ray Bell ]</small>

Thanks Dave for the advice on the speedo type. I'll pass it on to the new owner.

Ray - I have a complete instrument cluster with the tacho, so I assume that it comes from a TI. I'll probably hang onto it now given the new knowledge that I have from Dave. In my 504 sedan that I also sold recently, it had a tacho but it wasn't a TI model. Therefore, I assume that it was added in later from a TI by a previous owner.

James

Ray Bell:
No, my purpose was to keep the tacho intact...

The speedos are the same, but if you have to pull a speedo out of an instrument cluster, better that it comes out of one that isn't as useful.
It's quite easy to remove the tacho. The tachos and clocks are made to interchange very easily. I've done this conversion before.

Dave

Ray Bell:
What about an early tacho into a late cluster? How does that work out?
I'm not sure, but I think it would work, but it would look silly. I've got an early one sitting in my bedroom somewhere, so I can check it out if you'd like.

Dave

James S:
Rod,

Yes - a bigger vehicle. My wife found that 505 just too small with a new born baby and all of the gear that goes with the baby.

James S
I guess I must be out of touch with just how big those babies are getting these days, James ;-) When we had our last one, we found that you could fit her in even a Renault 12 without too much trouble. Ah! the wonders of modern growth supplements!

I am now having visions of one of those humungous yankee "suburban" things, with a trailer on the back to carry the AWD baby buggy!

Cheers

Rod

Rod,

Well, as you correctly suggest, the baby itself isn't that big. The capsule that he goes in fits into the 505 just (lengthwise)...but we have other children and when you get all of them into the car, with the capsule and the pram, nappy bag etc. etc., the space gets pretty limited. I don't really like vans but that's what we ended up with for the moment. We do have a roof top carrier but don't own a trailer, although I have to admit I have thought about it.

Oh - on the topic of big cars, we did own a Ford Expedition (almost the same as one of those 'humungous yankee "suburban" things' - i.e. about a foot shorter but just as wide - 4wd V8 beast) when we lived in the US a year or two ago. Now that was spacious.

By the way, you mentioned in another post a while ago that you broke down at Tarcutta when your wife was pregnant. My wife was also pregnant a few months back when we had a little 'hiccup' with the collant level light at Tarcutta. Not a happy little stop that one! I imagine your stop there was worse as you had to get towed away. At least we could keep driving.

Cheers,
James

Our unintended stop at Tarcutta (in the DSpecial with a blown headgasket) definitely wasn't fun.

Firstly, the temperature was well over 40 degrees C and we had a fair walk to a local farmhouse to get help even before we got to Tarcutta (though an obliging Citroen driver stopped to give us a hand before we decided we couldn't get it going again. He knew his stuff too. I wonder if he's on these lists. earlyish Blue D wagon, from memory)..

Secondly we just happened to have a very large Airedale terrier in the car at the time.

A mate of mine drove down from Sydney to pick us up in his Honda Civic. Fitting a couple of suitcases and other paraphenalia, a couple of hefty blokes, a pregnant wife, and a large, hot, dog into an early 80's Honda Civic was quite a challenge!

The ice cold lemon squashes at the Tarcutta pub tasted mighty good though. I can still remember them vividly, 15 years on!

Cheers

Rod