What Paint For DS Hydraulic Parts?

What paint an:)d colour do you chaps use for reburbishing the hydraulic components on your LHM D`s.

Richard Jones
`71 DS21 5spd.

...opened a hornet's nest here :eek:

Many Citroenists are happy with Brunswick green (pressure pack).

Forum member Techbuy has a nice page on his site with the AC codes for most of the ad-on bits and pieces which lists LHM components AC 502
http://www.ds23.com.au/c/trivia/index.html

Then we have people like Jackafrica (Richo) who has gone to extreme lenghts over an extended period to collect and colour match original components. (The match is not Brusnwick green or AC 502, how fussy do you want to be). :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Given the range I have found over the years, pick a green you like and run with it.

I try to keep one colour only in my own car, but I have the advantage of painting all the hydraulic parts myself.

While there was the one colour code ( AC 502 ) and I guess that most paint companies would have a formula, really it's a lottery, depending on what the factory had supplied at the time. Even original, genuine replacement parts could be a different green.

'Course, you can go a step further and do the assembly control marks, then the assembly control codes, for which there appears to be no formula or specification.
Fortunately I'm not the only nutter who cares, there's a bloke in Switzerland and a friend in NSW who encourages these pursuits.

Nothing like a fully reconditioned paint job to enhance performance!

Is green and yellow still an OK colour combo given a recent sporting performance?

Brunswick Green - although a gloss as compared to a matt finish close enough unless you are a purist.

I am not, so SuperCheap at the right price will do me.

People like Jackafrica are much more particular, so their recommendations are to be commended as opposed to my choice.

Regards,

Fento

Thanks chaps I tend towards going to as original, certainly with my Italian stuff, and don`t see why I should depart from this with "my froggie", but if there is colour variation then maybe Brunswick Green will do.
Does it match the low to semi gloss sheen though or is it glossy?

Richard Jones

I've always used pressure cans of Brunswick green gloss. Seems a close enough match and wears well.

I've seen red, yellow, blue and silver used on spheres over the years and several shades of green some even in matt paint.

Later spheres have varied greens with variations between gloss and matt too.

From what I know DS LHM parts are a darker and glossier green than the later LHM paint used on "Citroen piece d'original" in things like CX II, BX, XM, Xantia that were (usually) a paler matt green.

BUT.. as may have been mentioned above, there is a variance between the paints used on anything made after 1970. You will also find that the original paint covering from the factory is variable, so being original could mean a huge variation in colour, coverage of paint, etc :wink2:

You will find (if you don't already know) that spheres, the pump, steering rack and even the BVH "brain" (if you have one) up by the bulkhead/firewall will loose any gloss and get covered in oily grit in no time.:rolleyes:

"Citroen piece d'original" /QUOTE]

Piece d'origine, that's what it's called.

You don't say, "Ginuine Equopmant "do you?

That's the Yank translation. :crazy:

Richard, you could try Steve Hammond at Citraulics.com. I think he has an acceptable color match formula, plus he has a pretty good handle on the pressure paint mark codes.

Some here have said that Brunswick Green seems to be the way to go. I've seen parts painted in John Deere Green, which closely suits the sort-of agricultural aspect of the engine.