D Special - UFO - respray and retrim repost

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I have finally uploaded all the pics to my flickr account of the respray and retrim of UFO, a '74 D Special.

The text from the pre GAFC is apparently recovered, but in the interim, please enjoy these photos if you wish

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craigkeller1966/sets/72157623207928564/detail/

Thanks to AFers who helped in this task, Boyracer, DS, Mort Subite, XM Mechanic and XM Driver and Mrs UFO. A non AFer also assisted.

The team at Schenk and Co at Auburn did a great job on the panel and paint and Greg at Seyville Trimmers at Seven Hills did the interior.

super D Special

Hi UFO, I just had a look at your flicker set of photos taken during the restoration of the DS Special 74. Excellent result! :approve: I find myself envious but inspired. I have a D Special too, same color, same year. It needs the treatment too, I just dont know where to start tho. The guts have been brought up to scratch and it drives well. Rust is minimal.
The amount of time and effort and $ required is a bit daunting but I shall refer to this project when I eventually take the restoration plunge. If you added some written notes on the different photo stages of restoration that would be a working manual on how to restore a D Special!:D hint hint....
I do also have a 74 D Super and a 74 DS 23 Safari which means that at least I still have more than one to drive if one is in bits. A lot of parts are interchangeable too.
Did you make a to do list of tools and parts before starting the restoration or did you just take the plunge and handle matters as they arose? Having an aviation engineer on board sounds like a great idea.
Regards

I am waiting for the back room AF gurus to hopefully recover the text of the long thread so I can post it all up again, maybe with some edits.

Thanks for the compliments