C5 Help urgent with auto gearshift

fluery

Fellow Frogger
Hi All

Need urgent help with my 2003 c5 auto

got into it this morning and it will not go into drive? gearshift appears jammed
was fine yesterday but i can now only select partial reverse.

what could be wrong with it?

Do you mean the gearstick will not move

or

The gearstick will move but the only gear that is active seems to be reverse?

They are of course two different challenges addressed in different ways.

hi the shift will not move past reverse and even then it is not in the reverse slot, it just will not not move down to drive and feels liked it is locked up

The locking switch pin is preventing movement.
Craig, perhaps you would like to reply on how to release the pin.
I must confess to having CRAFT at this moment.

hi the shift will not move past reverse and even then it is not in the reverse slot, it just will not not move down to drive and feels liked it is locked up

Have a look here, if I can find the pics that were part of this thread I'll post here...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+www.aussiefrogs.com&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Edit: If you need the car on the road before getting the replacement part, you can drive without the locking pin (i.e. remove the part). The gear shift will be sloppy but will get you mobile until you replace the part.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks very much, seems to be exactly the issue. the pics didnt come up though. any chance of seeing these?

The photos for the explanation can't be found at present, but the attached images should explain the problem.
(Update Sep 2022 - Part 240778 is apparently NLA)

Attachments

• C5_GearLeverRelease_RemoveSurround_sml.JPG
    C5_GearLeverRelease_RemoveSurround_sml.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 5,703
  • C5_GearLeverRelease_ManualRelease_sml.JPG
    C5_GearLeverRelease_ManualRelease_sml.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 4,423
Last edited:
C5 Stuck in 'Park' 2002 HDi

A big thanks to David S for his prompt help and very concise info.

Symptom, with foot on brake and ignition on the gear lever will not move beyond reverse (maybe not that far). Probable cause is a spring loaded pin in the gear lever housing has broken and is now obstructing the free movement.

Other causes can be brake switch or more sinister gear linkages. You should be able to hear the brake switch activate (ignition on - place foot on brake pedal).

So, if problem is the spring loaded pin, good news is the part in my case was under $20.00 delivered to my door by Brisbane Citroen. Part number on invoice 2407.78 and of course is the ‘new’ improved version that now should last the life of the car.

As an aside, our car 2002 HDi has travelled about 90k, would be wise to carry this $20.00 part in the glove box. Though as a temporary stopgap, with the failed part removed (i.e. just the broken nylon part) the car can be driven, when in drive the gear will be sloppy, maybe tape off the manual gate? Useful to know if you are stuck in a parking spot, or as another member reported on a boat ramp with no forward gears available

First pic shows the finished job, photos were taken out of sequence but still tell the story.

attachment.php

Remove gear lever, it just pulls up and off, easier said than done but it will shift.

attachment.php

The fake walnut trim is removed by carefully levering with a broad screwdriver, start at the front, lift and pull forward.

attachment.php

Next the silver embellisher, careful leverage and it pops off.

attachment.php

Remove black gear guide trim.

attachment.php

Lift out Rubber Blind, note when re-fitting the slots at front and back.

attachment.php

Remove Blind housing, 2 clips on each side.

Remove gear guide housing – four large Philips heads screws.

Ahh… unit exposed, with a large screwdriver lever the unit up and over the gear lever.

attachment.php

New unit in place, make sure it locks down into position; you’ll hear a click and should see about 1mm. of the white nylon above the unit.

attachment.php

Assembly is a straight forward reverse of above sequence…

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• 1 complete.jpg
    1 complete.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 10,849
  • 2 Gear lever removed.jpg
    2 Gear lever removed.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 11,180
  • 3 Walnut trim removed.jpg
    3 Walnut trim removed.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 7,854
  • 4 Silver removed.jpg
    4 Silver removed.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 7,720
  • 5 Black gear guide removed.jpg
    5 Black gear guide removed.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 8,228
  • 6 Rubber Blind Removed.jpg
    6 Rubber Blind Removed.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 7,659
  • 7 unit exposed.jpg
    7 unit exposed.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 12,032
  • 8 New unit in place.jpg
    8 New unit in place.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 11,171
thanks for the pics. I will have to drive it before getting the replacement part as the cat is blocking my driveway.

cheers

What a team! I was hoping this was your problem and others have come to your rescue.

I hope you mean the CAR is blocking your driveway and not the CAT!!

thanks for the pics. I will have to drive it before getting the replacement part as the cat is blocking my driveway. cheers

Seeing those pictures brought two thoughts to my mind:

1. Lucky they didn't make the gearshift system complicated

2. There's a lot more engineering in these cars per dollar spent than is obvious.

Sounds like this pin is the equivalent of the Xantia clutch cable connector I keep in MY glovebox.

Very impressive response from the Fellow Frogs too!

Cheers

Cats are very smart but badly motivated. The Guiness book of Records is waiting for you to train your moggie to replace a broken gearchange locking pin.

Gear selector lock

Hi:):)
While we are in this selector area. Perhaps you could look down and see the solonoid lock for the gear selector. You may have to do that some day?
Has anyone had that fail?? It is the solonoid which prevents you moving the lever out of park unless you have the brake pedal pressed. If can fail on other cars !:rolleyes:
:cheers:Jaahn

It's more likely that the brake switch will fail first and stop the solenoid operating. Always start there or pump the brake pedal fairly hard if it will not come out of park.

Not a bad idea to print off parts of this thread and/or my two pictures and leave them in the glovebox in case you or someone else gets caught out. You'd need to use the manual release trick if you can't start the car and need to push it.

My 09 C5 has recently manifested this fault. Hesitant to move out of PARK, takes around 15-30 seconds to disengage with foot on the brake. Never heard of this fault on any other car. Dealer mentions the solenoid issue but I'll be sending him this info to make sure they're on the right track.

Congrats to all concerned.

Mark.

My 09 C5 has recently manifested this fault. Hesitant to move out of PARK, takes around 15-30 seconds to disengage with foot on the brake. Never heard of this fault on any other car. Dealer mentions the solenoid issue but I'll be sending him this info to make sure they're on the right track.

Congrats to all concerned.

Mark.

You have a different problem, although both cars have a similar brake/gear selector interlock. Your dealer will be on the right tack for your car and will most likely change a relay or a switch.