Please re-post C5 AL4 transmission refilling guide

Amelie

Tadpole
There was once an excellent, illustrated guide to re-filling the fluid for an AL4 transmission, as fitted to 2.0L petrol C5.
Could someone please re-post the guide and could it be made a sticky?
(I had planned on changing the fluid while I'm on holidays, but without the guide I'm quite lost.) :cry:

I have it..... at home. But I am a few hundred km from there at present.

If I remember I will find it after new years and post it.

Its my understanding thats it not a bad idea to check the level when its cool/cold. Worst case is you leave it a little overfull, but reduces the chance of having it underfilled (as the fluid is denser when its cold ;) )

A little more fluid wont hurt it, but too little will...

Look here:
[ Dead link to Google cache removed - read later posts ]
It's been saved and we hope to add it back eventually.

Last edited:
David, Fantastic mate, you're a gem.

In my contributions to AF I have never made copies, when reading the initial post I felt helpless in my inability to assist.

Please excuse my technological incompetence, but I can't open David S's link. Any special instructions?

Is it the same information as in Corne's Peugeot link (refer earlier on December 27)?

Is Esso ATF LT 71141 available in Australia?

Chris

It's then no longer in the Google cache, but extract the attached file. I can't upload the html version. The photos will be present as long as they remain in the linked locations, but anything that was originally uploaded to AF will have been lost.

Attachments

• AF_F19_62725_01_01_AL4 Auto Trans Oil Change - How To_ - aussiefrogs.zip
    20 KB · Views: 2,060
Thanks, David S. A nice DIY interpretation of the Peugeot instructions. I've saved the thread as a Word file, complete with very clear pictures.

Any thoughts on trans fluids currently available and suitable for the AL4 would be much appreciated. The difficulty as I see it is that on a 'drain and refill' you're only replacing some of the fluid, so compatibility may be an issue, let alone achieving only a partial renewal (unless you do several - maybe many - changes).

Haynes says the Xantia AL4 holds 6.0 litres from dry and 4.5 litres on a "drain and refill"; richo drained 3.1 litres from the C5's AL4.

Chris

Unless you flush it with extra fluid, you only ever replace a portion of the fluid. Prefer the correct factory or ESSO fluid, but others like Penrite list an oil for these gearboxes.

I drained just over 4 litres from our Xantia when I did it, but I let it drain for several hours

Greg

Thanks, Greg.

By the way, I understand that A&B Automatics in Dandenong can supply Esso ATF LT 71141.

Regards, Chris

Availability

You should be able to get it cheaper direct from your local distributor (contact Mobil).

Note that Esso ATF LT 71141 is in the process of being replaced by Mobil ATF LT 71141, as shown in this product update (PDF, 242 KB).

Thanks, Diesel_vert. Both of your links were helpful - I'll see what I can turn up.

Chris

Esso ATF LT 71141

I've been in touch with the Mobil oil distribution people for WA and SA and have been advised that this product has recently been discontinued from their source's inventory - so basically they can't supply it. Apparently this is the result of below-threshold demand/turnover.

I understand A&B Automatics in Dandenong will supply the product, but following an enquiry a week ago, I'm still waiting for specific pricing. I left a reminder today.

Imperial Oil in Melbourne responded promptly to my phone call and advise that they get this oil in bulk and supply it to various end users - mainly those servicing BMWs - and on-sellers (who charge up to $50/litre). Imperial will supply a 5 litre container of the product for $21.50 per litre + GST.

Qlube in Queensland can supply 20 litres of a product called Syntech Multi Trans "J Matic" for $165.54 + GST, which is supposedly an LT 71141 equivalent and is claimed (verbally) to be compatible with it. The general description seems similar to a semi-synthetic oil designed for certain Japanese auto transmissions. I'm a bit cautious about that one. Nor do I know anything about Qlube.

It seems there aren't a lot of alternatives for those with the AL4 transmission who believe that a 'drain and fill' now and again might be preferable to the "filled for life" philosophy.

Perhaps others have found other AL4 ATF options. I for one would be pleased to hear about them.

Chris

The Pentrite web site now lists a fully synthetic fuid for the C5. Penrite FM5. Many of the other manufacturers do the same. My Peugeot 406 4cyl has just been rebuilt and filled with the fully synthetic oil, though its the ZF 4HP20. It was recommended by Pentrite distributors.

Using Penrite ATF BMV in the AL4 for a year now, and no problems.

Last edited:
Good stuff, I also use Penrite syn in C5, $60.0. Difference was unbelievable. a year now with no prob.:banana:

Last edited:
I think you would find Penrite's BMV has been superceded by their Sin AFT fluid.