GreenBlood’s D(very)Special Rejuvenation 2009>

I could live with that, a little closer to the left boundary :D

I found myself looking at hoists today - the bubble burst, I'll have to content myself with my Supercheap Tyvek shed for a while longer :(

...but don't think I don't appreciate your trouble, even Mrs GB has had a giggle :headbang:

Cheers
Chris

If you are half serious about the four post hoist, check the following link out:headbang:

http://www.graysonline.com/sale/700...-post-vehicle-hoists-brisbane-pickup?spr=true

If you are half serious about the four post hoist, check the following link out:headbang:

http://www.graysonline.com/sale/700...-post-vehicle-hoists-brisbane-pickup?spr=true

hahha, you're a very naughty frog, you'll get me into serious trouble at home, Mrs GB would use that as a device of torture :evil:

On a practical note, no shed (my dream has been vetoed :nownow: ) no 3 phase :cry:

I have to content myself with car ramps and my 'you beaut' tyvek shed :headbang:

In all seriousness, there are not too many tasks on a D that require a hoist.

What I would like to find in the near future is a spray booth for weekend hire, we had one right here in Morningside but it has closed down...

Cheers
Chris

hahha, you're a very naughty frog, you'll get me into serious trouble at home, Mrs GB would use that as a device of torture :evil:

On a practical note, no shed (my dream has been vetoed :nownow: ) no 3 phase :cry:

I have to content myself with car ramps and my 'you beaut' tyvek shed :headbang:

In all seriousness, there are not too many tasks on a D that require a hoist.

What I would like to find in the near future is a spray booth for weekend hire, we had one right here in Morningside but it has closed down...

Cheers
Chris

You could get a double height tyvek shed, stick the hoist into that .... :) You could run the hoist using a phase converter or 240volt single phase motor. The best bit is you could park a 2nd car beneath it :evil:

seeya,
Shane L.

Re:- Paint booth hire

Curtain rods in the garage ceiling, around the area where the car will be, heavy duty plastic, water the concrete floor..... and send Mrs GB to Sydney for weekend shopping trip, she will never know..:), :roflmao:

There was one at Rocklea, I believe they did not reopen after floods

Apparently these people did hire theirs out couple of years back, not sure if they still do. Expensive, but huge booth:-
http://australianmastermarine.com.au/

You could get a double height tyvek shed, stick the hoist into that .... :) You could run the hoist using a phase converter or 240volt single phase motor. The best bit is you could park a 2nd car beneath it :evil:

seeya,
Shane L.

With the pool gone, I've no shortage of space to store cars, I was doing donuts in the D on the weekend :roflmao:

Re:- Paint booth hire

Curtain rods in the garage ceiling, around the area where the car will be, heavy duty plastic, water the concrete floor..... and send Mrs GB to Sydney for weekend shopping trip, she will never know..:), :roflmao:

There was one at Rocklea, I believe they did not reopen after floods

Apparently these people did hire theirs out couple of years back, not sure if they still do. Expensive, but huge booth:-
http://australianmastermarine.com.au/

I'm happy to get the panels to primer stage at home, but I need a bigger compressor and a booth for the colour coats - starting to think more in terms of 2K, so a safe environment, air fed mask etc., etc. I've a huge amount of work before I get to this stage but need to start looking...

Cheers
Chris

If you have any luck, let me know. I have only a small car to paint, but still long way off. Still considering my options, but the curtain rods are in place, just in case... :)

With the pool gone, I've no shortage of space to store cars, I was doing donuts in the D on the weekend :roflmao:

So, how will you manage to spend all that Chlorine money???

A plug for Greg F Dash trim Kit

I've been doing a bit of work for Greg and after having a chat decided to give his dash chrome kit a whirl.
Time will tell how long the adhesive lasts in the Queensland climate but as Greg mentioned the original chrome had a limited life and this process is repeatable and/or reversible.

The kit is complete with all stickers required including side vents etc. These are the parts I have finished.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's really hard to get good shots, I had the car out in sunlight for that last shot but contrast between dark dash and chrome highlights doesn't do justice to the outcome.

This chrome self-adhesive is much thinner than anything I've seen before, the edge is barely detectable. I prepped each part using acetone, any hint of silicon and the adhesive will not stick.

I can see that I'm going to have to pull the dash out and get it refinished, it just looks so daggy compared with the rest of the interior now. I can't readily see how to remove, I'll have to drop the aircon vents out of the way - anyone have any tips, where are the fixings etc.

Once out, the plan is to get it powdercoated in a finish as close to original as is available here in Brisbane, any recommended suppliers?

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Chrome kit bits.jpg
    Chrome kit bits.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,349
  • Ashtray.jpg
    Ashtray.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,299
  • Dash switch panel.jpg
    Dash switch panel.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,242
  • Instrument cluster detail.jpg
    Instrument cluster detail.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,231
  • Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 348
  • Cluster in place.jpg
    Cluster in place.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,294
Isn't the dash paint often refered to as "Harley Crinkle finish" :confused:

That looks spectacular too. the problem with doing one particular thing well is always how bad the rest looks beside it :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Looks fantastic! I bet you had to hold your tongue just right to get those on straight!

I got some great instructions on how to remove the dash recently. If I can locate the info (it is in my head somewhere) I will send it to you, unless someone else beats me to it.

Isn't the dash paint often refered to as "Harley Crinkle finish" :confused:

That looks spectacular too. the problem with doing one particular thing well is always how bad the rest looks beside it :)

seeya,
Shane L.

...ain't that the truth (Pottsy warned in a previous thread, sometimes it's better to let things age graciously - should have listened back then), although the metal part of my dash looked pretty bad before the tart up :roflmao:

The finish on it now is almost transparent, in the sunlight I can see through it, and there is very little texture to the crinkle finish.

I can't see how it all comes apart - the rubberised trim that runs from the left vent to the stalk binnacle - how is that fixed? How do I get the glove box door off etc.??? Need blow by blow instructions :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Looks fantastic! I bet you had to hold your tongue just right to get those on straight!

I got some great instructions on how to remove the dash recently. If I can locate the info (it is in my head somewhere) I will send it to you, unless someone else beats me to it.

The stickers are on a clear application film, so, not that difficult, the circles on the cluster dials were a little challenging - patience grasshopper :crazy:

Would appreciate your input on dash removal :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Before you pull it out, you could try to lift the original crinkle finish using something like Forever Black. Removing the dash isn't as hard as you might think, but be very sure to free the plastic end vents where they sit against the tar insulation at the sides of the scuttle BEFORE you start tugging at the dash. The vent vanes will snap very easily if you aren't careful. Really, if you don't need to remove it, don't.

If your going to pull the dashboard, whip out the 'screen too (the dash isn't hard, once you start you'll have it out in no time thinking ..... "Wow that was easy :) " ). If you want it to seem my boggling, laughably simple, pull the dash from modern PSA junk first :evil:

The reason for pulling the screen ?? If you find any rust in the lower channels, you can patch it up while the dash isn't in the way.

seeya,
Shane L.

Before you pull it out, you could try to lift the original crinkle finish using something like Forever Black. Removing the dash isn't as hard as you might think, but be very sure to free the plastic end vents where they sit against the tar insulation at the sides of the scuttle BEFORE you start tugging at the dash. The vent vanes will snap very easily if you aren't careful. Really, if you don't need to remove it, don't.

It's a bit of a mess David, it will irritate me if I can't improve it one way or another. I hate breaking good parts so I might investigate painting it in situ - if that fails then I'll have lost nothing and the dash will have to come out.

Can I remove the glove box lid without the whole dash coming out? It would be a good part to experiment with.

If your going to pull the dashboard, whip out the 'screen too (the dash isn't hard, once you start you'll have it out in no time thinking ..... "Wow that was easy :) " ). If you want it to seem my boggling, laughably simple, pull the dash from modern PSA junk first :evil:

The reason for pulling the screen ?? If you find any rust in the lower channels, you can patch it up while the dash isn't in the way.

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane, I fitted a new screen way back, the whole scuttle has been stripped back to bare metal primed and painted - no rust there.

Cheers
Chris

Time for me to add my 2 centimes worth.
To remove the rubberised dash first remove the instrument binacle, behind which you'll see an 8mm nut connection the dash to the base of the w/screen. Next, remove the radio speaker cover and radio cavity box, behind which you'll see an 8mm nut, next open the glove box and locate on the inside upper left a plastic cover - remove it and you'll see an 8mm nut. On the extreme l and r of the dash there is a black philips screw into the base of the a pillar remove them. Under the wrinkle dash there are several screws (self-tappers?) holding vertically onto the inner structure - remove them. Remove all switches and clock from the dash fascia.
by now the dash should be able to be wriggled out - proceed carefully.
I may have skipped a nut/screw or 2 - but this is essentially the attachments.
Remember that at the factory a man put it in so a man can do the reverse.

from where may I obtain the set of instrument "chrome" stickers?
RegarDS
Lou

NOUKPUT SYDHCQF

Time for me to add my 2 centimes worth.
To remove the rubberised dash first remove the instrument binacle, behind which you'll see an 8mm nut connection the dash to the base of the w/screen. Next, remove the radio speaker cover and radio cavity box, behind which you'll see an 8mm nut, next open the glove box and locate on the inside upper left a plastic cover - remove it and you'll see an 8mm nut. On the extreme l and r of the dash there is a black philips screw into the base of the a pillar remove them. Under the wrinkle dash there are several screws (self-tappers?) holding vertically onto the inner structure - remove them. Remove all switches and clock from the dash fascia.
by now the dash should be able to be wriggled out - proceed carefully.
I may have skipped a nut/screw or 2 - but this is essentially the attachments.
Remember that at the factory a man put it in so a man can do the reverse.

from where may I obtain the set of instrument "chrome" stickers?
RegarDS
Lou

NOUKPUT SYDHCQF

Thanks Lou,
Every bit of info helps, I've also have been contacted by Hotrodelectric with a very good run down on procedure :wink2:

When I go ahead I'll update with pics of the process :wink2:

The dash chrome kit is available through Greg Fienberg, $80.00 plus postage doublechevron(at)bigpond(dot)com [no relation to our very own Double Chevron]

Be very thorough cleaning your parts all silicon/oil/grease has to be removed for the sticker adhesive to stick.

Cheers
Chris

I can see that I'm going to have to pull the dash out and get it refinished, it just looks so daggy compared with the rest of the interior now. I can't readily see how to remove, I'll have to drop the aircon vents out of the way - anyone have any tips, where are the fixings etc.

Once out, the plan is to get it powdercoated in a finish as close to original as is available here in Brisbane, any recommended suppliers?

Hi Chris,

Give Roberto from Roberto's Custom Powder a call (0738999832) located in Morningside. Mention that you have been speaking to me and that the dash is similar to mine. He should know exactly what you are taking about.

Absolutely top bloke to deal with and can replicate the crinkle finish "exactly" as original. It just looks fantastic and was not too expensive IIRC. I have had several dash's done by them.

It's not a lot of work to pull the dash out - just take a few pics of the pipework etc. before you disassemble.

The chrome looks fantastic...! I have a kit here for the 71 waiting to be put on - (when I get the 69 done LOL).

All the best,

Mark...:)