85 505 SR, couple of small things

peugeot505SR

Fellow Frogger
Hi Everyone!

I've been following the board for a while and decided it just might be time to post. We had a 85 505 SR that was given to my mum and when I get a chance, I look after it when it comes back down home. It's always been a great car (indestructable) but recently it hasn't been going too well. So, while it's here I thought I'd ask a few questions.

She had the starter motor replaced on it and ever since then, it hasn't been running right. It seems to splutter along and hesitates a lot. I've recently changed the spark plugs and leads, cleaned the air filter and am about to replace the distributor cap and rotor. However, there are some hoses leading to nowhere??? I have placed some pictures of the engine with the things circled. The first one shows the little round thing that has one hose missing, the other shows a hose going nowhere (the hose attaches to a T piece). Could there be something with the hoses?? Can anyone think of anything else that could be wrong?

car12.jpg

car31.jpg

Below, I also have some pictures of the motor just for people to have a look at (I keep one in my wallet too :D )

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~zerocool15/car1.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~zerocool15/car2.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~zerocool15/car3.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~zerocool15/car4.jpg

Thank you everyone and Merry Christmas!!!!

Another one afraid to tell us where he is in case we can actually help...

Many of those hoses are colour coded, I think you'll find, and you are right, it's probably something to do with them.

Block all the unattached ones off and see what happens. Or find an identical model that has them all attached...

I'm curious to know what that thing is in the second pic with the double chevrons on it. What the hell's that doing there?

graham66 said:
I'm curious to know what that thing is in the second pic with the double chevrons on it. What the hell's that doing there?

That's just the cover for the ignition system

Graham wallis

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies. I am going to take a closer look at it later on today if I get the chance.

I noticed I hadn't put my location in...but it's in now. I live in the town of Kempsey in NSW (not Campsie in Sydney). Most people here haven't heard of Peugeot's, let alone driven one. Everytime I try to get parts here....."It's a what?? A "pew-got" :mad: :mad: :mad: They don't know what they're missing.

I'll keep everyone posted :)

The little round thing with the hose missing - looking at pic 2, where does the other hose coming out of it go to? Geez the SR engine is different to the GTi...

Cheers,
Richard

Just a couple of thoughts; based on what I've seen on my CXs, I'd suggest the gadget you've circled is part of the anti-pollution paraphenalia of that era. It being disconnected shouldn't be a problem providing wherever it was connected has been blanked off, if it was on the intake side of the motor.
Based on similar symptoms I've encountered on CXs & BXs over the years, I'd suggest taking the top off the carby, removing the jets, blowing them out with compressed air as well as every jet holder and cavity you can find in the carb.
Toss that Ryco fuel filter; got to be the greatest piece of feeling of a false sense of security that was ever invented, and replace it with another if that makes you feel any more secure. Fit a proper fuel filter on the line that is the intake to the fuel pump (the Ryco I think you'll find has been fitted between pump & carb). In bad cases I've fitted fuel filters off V6 EFi Commodores ( :rolleyes: cough - spit :eek: ) but of late I've found that a Valvoline filter off a Subaru (Forrestor I think?) is also a good compromise; about 5 or 6 times capacity of the Ryco and steel cased.
I have had it explained to me from someone overseas that Cits (and so presumably Pugs) have fuel lines and in some cases tanks made of a black plastic type material that breaks down with age & tends to allow a fine black powder get into the fuel system. This will coat fuel filter elements, carby jets and passageways. It is so fine as to be almost invisible to the naked eye until it begins to build up which it does as a dark coating.
Don't be surprised if the cleaning of the carb & components has to be repeated a couple of times before 100% success is achieved. At this age too, it has to be remembered that besides contaminated fuel that we all can get from servos, there must be a build up condensation within the tank which will also find its way through the system (ever wondered why modern outboard motors have plastic & not steel tanks??) ;) so between a combination of moisture & muck, your jets will only be delivering a portion of the fuel mix or alternatively will deliver the mix intermittently.
What gave me the clue on this? Take a look at the colour of your fuel filter element and compare with a new one; I reckon it's almost stuffed (and it obviously isn't very old).

Alan S :cheers:

Ray Bell said:
Any condensation or moisture will constantly be pumped through to the engine,
Alan.

What? the stuff that's condensed in the fuel tank???? :confused: :confused:

Ever seen the insides of a boat fuel tank that's 5 to 10 years old? bottom is a solid coat of rust when the tank is drained out & the reason they now use plastic tanks is that the multi cylinder/multi carbied engines used to get water & particularly rust in the carby jets which starved them of fuel & then by getting driven by the other cylinders, used to blow the motors. 3 Cylinder OMC Triumph series being a good case in point.
In the case of Cits using black plastic tanks, I've heard of them being inspected & a coating of moisture literally hanging from the roof & the only way it can "get through" an engine is via the fuel pump, filter & carby which is when all the problems start.
I presume the condensation you're talking about is the stuff in the breathers & crankcase.

Alan S

fuel filter should be before the pump too, not after it. Looks like the whole thing could do with a thorugh clean with a couple of cans of degreaser and a stiff brush. It makes things a lot nicer to work on and is less prone to electrical dramas. Dizzies in particular benifit from been removed, soaked complete in a tub of petrol, degreased, relubricated and put back in. all the dirt and grease inside trapping moisture is not good for a consistent spark ;)
A clean engine is a happy one :D (so is a clean mechanic...)
Do 505s have that convenient drain plug on the fuel tank that 504s do? If so, it may pay to wait til its low on fuel, and drain the tank, and flush it with fresh fuel.

Haakon said:
Dizzies in particular benifit from been removed, soaked complete in a tub of petrol, degreased, relubricated and put back in. all the dirt and grease inside trapping moisture is not good for a consistent spark ;)

Crikey, don't do that to an 85 505! You will find that the car has an electronic ignition and breakerless point system in the "distributor". This is not a standard "Dizzie"!!!

As mentioned previously the cover of the passenger side with chevrons, peugeot and talbot symbols contains the rest of the electronic ignition module and the special ignition coil.

Haakon said:
Do 505s have that convenient drain plug on the fuel tank that 504s do? If so, it may pay to wait til its low on fuel, and drain the tank, and flush it with fresh fuel.

This 85 505 sedan will have a plastic 70 litre fuel tank, hence no drain plug!.

The problem guessing from the pics and your description sound exactly as ray said, to be that someone has disturbed a vacuum system line.

A peugeot dealer will have a detailed manual with the colour coding of all the vacuum lines. This is not shown in my Haynes 505 manual!. Sometimes a lot of the vacuum systems were modified to get around anti pollution, so as ray said find a car the same, may be best option.

The photos were a little confusing, the second appears that you have highlighted a wire.. to the Starter.

So it could be a wire loose? Is it a hollow tube not connected, or is a wire?

Happy new year..

geedee said:
Crikey, don't do that to an 85 505! You will find that the car has an electronic ignition and breakerless point system in the "distributor". This is not a standard "Dizzie"!!!

Ah, yes of course - good point :blush: . Im just so used to looking at that motor in 504s... :rolleyes: In that case, just clean it best you can (I have had a few slightly tempremental cars that benifited from clean ignitions)

Is the handbook for it still about? Dont know about the Pug, but my '85 Fuego handbook had a supplement for it devoted to the emmision control stuff for the Oz spec. Was wonderful for working out what all the pipes and wires did and getting it all working again (which resulted in Fuego that idled nicely :eek: :D )

Last edited: