807 using coolant

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi brains trust, the 807 in my A310-4 is using coolant. No signs of any leaks, nothing in the oil, no overheating. Where is it going?

Steam cleaning your cylinders for the moment, leaking into the chambers when the engine is off and its hot and under pressure. Check for bubbles in coolant

Hook up a pressure gauge to your cooling system.
With the engine cold, start up and blip throttle aggressively.
Don't even wait for the thermostat to open.
If pressure rises, you have a head gasket leak.
Also sniff the gas at the expansion bottle for combustion
smell to confirm head gasket failure.

how much is it losing? check crackers (spark plugs) for colour of burn as above as per head gasket. if not maybe remove rocker cover and check Welch plug centre of head under rocker gear, could be weeping/steaming/evapourating from that...... just a thought.... jim

I once had this with the R8 and at idle, warm, with the cap off and radiator absolutely full, there was a 3 mm bubble every few seconds......

Coolant was at the black line before a 45 minute drive yesterday

Attachments

• 20201212_084917.jpg
    20201212_084917.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 119
Not exactly consistent plug colours. 1 on the left, 4 on the right

Attachments

• 20201212_085739.jpg
    20201212_085739.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 136
And my 15mm socket is missing

Attachments

• 20201212_090107.jpg
    20201212_090107.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 118
The orange colour looks normal as mine does the same. But a drop lower not so good. I had a small weep once from a heater pipe but it all dried by heat off the engine before dropping to the ground. Hope you find the source to the problem Tim

Could be leaking from the water pump seal, are there any tell tale signs on top of the bell housing? There could be enough heat soak there to evaporate the coolant.

Just my :2cents: worth.

Hook up a pressure gauge to your cooling system.
With the engine cold, start up and blip throttle aggressively.
Don't even wait for the thermostat to open.
If pressure rises, you have a head gasket leak.
Also sniff the gas at the expansion bottle for combustion
smell to confirm head gasket failure.
Just another thing to check from steve's suggestion is there any tiny bubbles in the expansion bottle? (will need to wait for thermostat to open for this one) also sign of head gasket problem.

There's a few hundred ml missing now, was about 1cm above that line after yesterday's drive.

Is your carpet felt wet?
If so, I just saved you $100's
Leaking heater core or valve.
Then
Check under oil filler cap, if creamy, may as well start stripping

There is a little leak from a heater hose, carpet in passenger footwell doesn't seem wet enough for all that coolant.

Attachments

• 20201212_100342.jpg
    20201212_100342.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: COL
That one is, better check that the joiner is a tapered thread! Easier than a head gasket, but the carpet just doesn't seem wet enough
can you lift carpet and check under it. maybe brass joiner look same look same but not do job, made in orstraylyuh? I don't, t think so..... jim

can you lift carpet and check under it. maybe brass joiner look same look same but not do job, made in orstraylyuh? I don't, t think so..... jim
Bought at Repco, so will check, although think I'll buy the next one somewhere else. Carpet isn't wet enough for that amount of coolant. It all disappears as the engine cools, pointing to Matthew's point above.