75 Renault 12 LE sedan for sale.

Brad Johnson

Tadpole
Very good condition, rust free, good paint (label in the engine bay says “Liquid Amber”) .
The good;
Car has all new door and window seals. Driver’s seat has been re-trimmed at some stage recently by the previous owner and all seats look and feel great. The car comes with loads of paperwork and receipts for work done. It will go with 2 seats of wheels, one set of 14” R17 steel rims, recently re-sprayed silver and the original set of 13” R12 wheels, all on excellent, near new tyres. The engine is healthy, starts easily and runs well, has pretty decent power and acceleration for what it is, strong mid range torque. I recently replaced the plugs and leads, cap, points and rotor were pretty new so I left them. Previous owner had also had the car re-sprayed, as mentioned the label in the engine bay reads “Liquid Amber” but to me the colour is much closer to ‘Trak Yellow’, looks great anyway.
Suspension and brakes are excellent. There is a little endplay in the steering rack which is noticeable with the car up on a hoist but I don’t notice it at all when driving, in fact the steering feels very good and the car handles well in typical R12 fashion. It’s genuinely a pleasure to drive and turns heads as such a different and unusual car in the day and age we’re in.
The car will be sold with a box of spare parts.

The bad;
The clutch is slipping there may be more adjustment in it but my idea would be to replace it and machine the flywheel. The speedo stopped working a month or so back, I believe it is just a cable but my research has found that there are 2 or 3 different types? I haven’t had the time to get under and pull it out to investigate.
I put the car in to Pymble Prestige panel shop here in Hornsby to have the rear guards rolled to accomodate the 14” wheels with deeper offset. Occasionally the rear tyres rub under the guards, this has not been a problem and only rubs coming off a speedhump, that said, I’ve not had a heavy load in the boot or back seat pax since it was done, I imagine that with the soft R12 suspension, loaded up heavily she’d rub. The panel beater did not want to roll the guards any further for fear of cracking the paint. As mentioned, the car will come with the original 13” wheels if you wanted to swap it back.
The top of the dash has some minor cracking from 47 years of Australian sun. I took it up to a motor trimmer near Wyong for options to fix it, he suggested removing the dash and having a new top panel 3D printed for it. If I were to keep the car, I’d be having a dash mat made from black carpet to protect the dash and hide the cracks from view.
I currently have the door trims off and away being re-trimmed.

I’m open to reasonable offers around $12,000.
Aussiefrogs.com for some reason will not allow me to upload any decent photos so please text 0405170767 for any photos. Happy to chat and negotiate.

Brad

Price dropped to $7500, I need the car gone to fund a new project.

Clutch is slipping, there is some adjustment left in the cable but the clutch will need replacement.
Car has just been re-registered and so is registered until late December 2023.