604 sos

lachie_t

Tadpole
Alright so there is a couple issues need sorted with my '79 604Ti. First thing is that my locking key is in 2 pieces. Does anyone know where I could find a new blank copy? Second thing is that it stalls when you put it in gear (Auto box), if you don't give it a small well-timed rev. Doesn't seem to idle properly either. Anyone able to tell me how the idle control is supposed to be set up or maybe post some engine bay pictures of the injection system? That's all for now
Cheers

No idea on the key I'm afraid. Are the two pieces just the key part and the handle part? If so, perhaps a new handle could be made from another key, 3d printer, etc.

The 604TI didn't come to Australia, so expertise on its fuel injection is going to be thin on the ground. It's a K-Jetronic system (which is fully mechanical despite the "tronic"). Critical to K-Jetronic is that ALL air must go past the air flow sensor flap so that it knows how much fuel to inject. Best candidate for your idling problems would be a vacuum leak downstream of the air flow sensor.

Fuel filter is less likely since that would be high load starvation rather than idle.

Many problems with K-Jetronic are down to people tampering with the air flow sensor. I suggest leaving it alone unless there are signs somebody else has tampered -- then all bets are off.

If the car hasn't been used much, gluggy fuel or something tends to block up the injectors. Taking it for a good fang might clear it out.

Have fun,

Rob.

hi Lacie t. you could try volvo264/265 info as run same set up. should be black knurled plastic air/idle adjuster to left of air intake on inner side of left intake branch if it has long square intake manifold chambers instead of round central intake with 6xbranches coming off it'd I remember correctly... been aboute t 20years since I did one. fault could be too low idle. possibly due to inlet vacuum leaks as previously mentioned. also could be torque converter stator sized, stall speed check should clarify this., pinpoint/eliminate it..... just a couple of thoughts....... Jim

Another fault that can cause stalling is the idle speed control gadget, but air leaks from the dozens of joints in the air plumbing between the mixture control unit and the inlet is a place to start - The central locking and heater controls are vacuum powered in a 604 so are also a source of leaks (I have heard of one which stalled if the driver's door lock was pushed down at idle!)

The 604 uses the same locks and keys as a 505 / 505 so it may be possible the swap the whole set.