604 register

Hi all i have a 81 604 with a holley carby and electronic ignition for sale if any one is interested regards Peter ..........

The 604 ute might get added to the register soon. Watch this space (not I didn't get the car)

Hi Guys,
Only a new member, but reading back through this thread, I couldn't get pugrambo's page to come up any more.. has it moved somewhere or been taken down? Have one whole 604 in northern Tas, with nearly a whole car worth of donor spares from a crashed one we parted out. Not able to go and get more info on it at the moment as I am overseas, but from memory I think its a 1978 model. Gold paint work and apart from some tuning needed and a bit of an oil leak, and a drivers seat repair, its in pretty good nic. Also had a blue one for a while that the old man tarted up for my sister, but ended up getting rolled on a dirt road after she slid it and locked the brakes up going down hill :( 604 & 404 in shed.jpg604.jpg

I guess there are few if any 604 s on the road now.
A wreckers tip for leaky power steering was
One 'cap' of brake fluid to 'swell' the seals.....worked for me.
Dave

I guess there are few if any 604 s on the road now.
A wreckers tip for leaky power steering was
One 'cap' of brake fluid to 'swell' the seals.....worked for me.
Dave

I think that you are probably right about the numbers. I have just bought one, which I hope to have it on the road soon. It has a small (I hope) problem with the clutch hydraulics.

Would all owners of 604s which are on the road please admit it here! Or even if they aren't on the road - I bet there are at least a few languishing in sheds or the long grass.

Don

I converted mine to dedicated LPG adding Volvo ignition and inlet manifold with a 'performance' gas carby .
Did more than 200k on gas .....owed me nothing except for skinned knuckles.

Hi

Am I right in thinking that because of the 604's similarity to the 504 it would be possible to get all the bits to keep it running, engine, gearbox, suspension, steering etc.?

I guess body panels and windows would be near impossible?

I getting interested in these elegant cars.

Regards

Alan

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the Volvo fuel injected engine is the same as the fuel injected engine used in the 604. By the same, I mean the same fuel injection, same appearance with regards manifolds etc..

Regards

Alan

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the Volvo fuel injected engine is the same as the fuel injected engine used in the 604. By the same, I mean the same fuel injection, same appearance with regards manifolds etc..

Regards

Alan

I didn’t know the local 604 was sold in fuel injection form.
I did use a Volvo injection manifold and had an adapter made up for a gas research carby, which was ok when the revs got up to around 2000 but dead below......a lack of progression basically.
The ignition swapped over too .

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Nagaman

Just asking to work out if Volvo engined 604 could still be considered "original" for conditional rego.

Regards

Alan

A man of interest is Allan Horsley who ran the 6 register of the Peugeot car club Victoria.......he wouldn’t sell me his immaculate white one.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Nagaman

Thanks very, very much.

Do you have Allan Horsely's contact details?

Bye the way do the 604's have a noisy ride???????????

I thought they'd be very quiet???

Regards

Alan

Nagaman

Thanks very, very much.

Do you have Allan Horsely's contact details?

Bye the way do the 604's have a noisy ride???????????

I thought they'd be very quiet???

Regards

Alan

It’s now around 35 years ago Alan , but he is embedded in this link -
http://www.pccv.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Torque0612-lite.pdf
Alan ran the Mazda racing programme also, but like me would also be long in the tooth.
Noise?. Not that I recall.
Old fashioned floaty/supple ride......they don’t make ‘em like that anymore.
Dave

Nagaman

Thanks very much.

I do like the older cars a lot more. I have a Renault 15TS which is a great car for driving but I need a relaxed long distance tourer, that's where the 604 comes in.

Did one run in a 1983 Nissan Patrol Seven seater deluxe, nearly crippled me. I too am in the Autumn of my years.

Regards

Alan

Noise? Not that I recall.
Old fashioned floaty/supple ride......they don’t make ‘em like that anymore.
Dave
Noise in a 604? Only from the old-fashioned diesel engine which was in my 604, and even that noise barely made it into the cabin!

You'll enjoy the sumptious leather seats, as long as the leather has been kept in reasonable to good condition. Find a good motor trimmer who can help with the stitching. That was the biggest bugbear I had with the seats in my 604. When the leather becomes hard in the hot Australian sun, the stitching can't stretch (is how it was put to me).

Many bits were available when I had my 604 - sold in 2006? - but don't try to find the plastic clips which hold in or help align the headlights. After I had close encounters with one too many a kangaroo, my then insurance company told me that the difficulty of finding certain parts, new or second hand, meant that they would no longer insure me. And they had me do most of the leg work. They and the smash repairer gave up after about 2 days, whilst the car was off the road for some 6 weeks with me chasing the needed parts.

Andrew

Supple but noisy just like a 504, or an original Citroen DS for that matter

Noise in a 604? Only from the old-fashioned diesel engine which was in my 604, and even that noise barely made it into the cabin!

You'll enjoy the sumptious leather seats, as long as the leather has been kept in reasonable to good condition. Find a good motor trimmer who can help with the stitching. That was the biggest bugbear I had with the seats in my 604. When the leather becomes hard in the hot Australian sun, the stitching can't stretch (is how it was put to me).

Many bits were available when I had my 604 - sold in 2006? - but don't try to find the plastic clips which hold in or help align the headlights. After I had close encounters with one too many a kangaroo, my then insurance company told me that the difficulty of finding certain parts, new or second hand, meant that they would no longer insure me. And they had me do most of the leg work. They and the smash repairer gave up after about 2 days, whilst the car was off the road for some 6 weeks with me chasing the needed parts.

Andrew

This little gem followed me home today. 11/79 model, running straight LPG. Has some gearbox troubles and the motor is giving me some unfavourable indications, but I did successfully drive it home and intend to get it roadworthy and on Club rego in the next few weeks!

WP_20180413_16_21_19_Pro[2779].jpg
WP_20180413_16_21_52_Pro[2772].jpg
WP_20180413_16_21_31_Pro[2778].jpg
WP_20180413_16_14_26_Pro[2780].jpg
WP_20180413_16_22_26_Pro[2771].jpg