604...is it the coolest euro ever made...

dino

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
1976_Peugeot_604.jpg

been thinking about this...and i reckon it has to top the list...Yes the DS is up there...but the DS is a little 'soft' if you know what I mean...to sohisticated even to stylish for its own good...the 604 is true "cool"...hard edged..."manly",...none of that electric brake crap...

18782_citroen_ds_original-4b77ab7f7cb1d-625x360.jpg

So who is its opposition? and who comes close or is able to topple it...a w124 wagon with 6.3 maybe...

img_1.jpg

but its soccer mum association just doesnt cut it...

a fiver...hmmm...its cool...but
images

to much plastic, sterile and you just dont have the room to spread the legs you know, that 12 to
12 position...and where is the stainless...

So am I wrong to think its the coolest mass produced car on the planet,...this side of a 130...

:wink2:

:confused:

:cheers:

dino

You meant a 605 right ??

No...definitely not 605...

605 is a great car I m sure but on the "cool" scale it doesnt even register luke warm...Seriously a CX for example is ten times more "cool" then a 605..but this isnt the fault of the 605...it was born out of post 80s early 90s fake decadence when the corporates loved to sell you plastic bose systems...remember the 605 came in the same era as the jelly bean mazdas and soarers...so definitely not cool...
CX is definitely a conteder...at least it displays aggression and that "leave me alone" look....a 605 can never pull that look...its more likely going to say..."be gentle with me"... This isnt cool in real mans world...
sure, with only a schoolboy experience for some I m sure it must "feel" cool...but its isnt....peeling polycarbonate lenses will never be cool....You just can can not beat real glass, real stainless....you understand.

dino

cx-1024x768.jpg

FFS...even an old Granada is more cool then a 605...not by much but definitely more cool...

autowp.ru_ford_granada_11.jpg

tell me I am mistaken...no I am not. :D :wink2:

Last edited:
I have to say that I really enjoyed my 604, but was it the coolest car ever? That's not something I could say definitively.

It isn't the car I miss the most. That honour would go to my 1965 404, I think.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hmm,

good question... the 604 looks very much like cars of it's era... eg: volvos, XF fowlcans etc... with the "3 box" shape. Certainly it's nice, but the style of times date.

The old doublechevrons (pre-psa)... some were bloody hidious/gorgious depending on your view.... Certainly they are timeless in there design though...eg:

a big body 6 traction.... (I just quicklly stole these piccies from websites & facebook)

2001.06.23@03.41.36.JPG

Look how low and sleek these suckers are for something designed in the 1930's.... No running boards or tailshafts remember.

Simply timeless..... What a vehicle!

attachment.php

I think I prefer the original series I ... but anyway ...

attachment.php

It really could only be a Citroen right ??

attachment.php

Even poogoe managed a decent looking car twice... The XM and C6 will probably never look "dated".

attachment.php

If you want to see citroen at it's, um, "pinacle" of style, google "Citroen Ami" **shudder**

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• ds_1.jpg
    ds_1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,816
  • series_2_interior.jpg
    series_2_interior.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,548
  • cx_1.jpg
    cx_1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,879
  • style.jpg
    style.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,879
404 is definitely cool...very cool...But I think you ll find its a touch to small so it has to relegate itself a few spots down (definitely top ten stuff though)...Coolness requires interior space...small cars can be cool..this is undeniable...but I m talking about "ice cool" here...call it..."uber cool"...whatever...not the kind of cool that a fuego belongs to for exanple...I mean...just look at the "mo" the cx driver is sporting...you are not going to see a 605 driver sporting such...

:adrink:

dino

404, 403, 203 ?? What's that incredible old ute that turns up at the french car days that has the headlights behind the grill ??

The 504's and later don't do much for me though.

seeya
Shane L.

attachment.php

That turbo CX interior is to die for...but...lets be realistic...taking the "cool" perspective..its a little bit over-cooked...right...yes ofcourse...cool requires simplicity yet individuality that isnt shared..hence although the 604 shares some of the bulkiness of a ford...its interior and exterior is much more delicate...not so brute as a Chinese female swimmer or a russian wrestler...more svelte, more polished, more refined...but not overcooked.
Compare the ford dash to the 604...they are worlds apart...One says "I am common" while the other "dares"... :wink2: :D just look at the headlight switch operation...initially I thought: "how odd"...but now that I ve absorbed more of the cars coolness..I think..."so cool"...a nice cool..not like the CX dash "out of this freaking world" cool that it isnt cool...you know...try hard cool...

:D

dino

604 definitely not. I don't want to offend anyone, but it is not a cool car at all. It has its merits, rides well, handles ok, is very very comfortable, but it is far from cool.

A 605 isn't necessarily cool either. It is stately. Stately is NOT cool.

For cool I would turn to Italy, to be honest. There's plenty of examples there. Lancias, certain Alfas, like the GTV and some Maseratis, perhaps.

If you want "manly", obviously Dino needs that, as he lacks confidence in himself, you have to turn to Britain. The Rover SD1, but even the P6, manage to harness sweeping lines, timeless elegance, and coolness, whilst still maintaining a level of aggressive masculinity that a Citroen could NEVER pull off.

Dino

you have awoken to the delight of the 604

now you can see why i have been banging on about this model for so long but there is one thing you are missing

it isn't manly i'm afraid, to me it just has that female edge to it

the car to own is just like a marriage, you know there are times where you just have to talk to it in a certain way to get it to do what you want it to do :D

So am I wrong to think its the coolest mass produced car on the planet,...this side of a 130...

Are you talking about the Fiat 130 Coupe?

Beautiful car that must have been designed alongside the 604.

Attachments

• 130cdep3750.jpg
    130cdep3750.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,213
Are you talking about the Fiat 130 Coupe?

Beautiful car that must have been designed alongside the 604.

attachment.php

yes...even the sedan version is cool...infact...possibly even moreso...as it sits in the shadow of its much more famous brother...and this is where the 604 comes to play...the 604 is a better four door version then the Fiat 130 sedan...

look at these pics...

500x_fiat_130_coupe.jpg

then

1970_Fiat_130_sedan.JPG

and the 604 again...

516.jpg

I m telling you...peugeot 604 is the king of cool... i defy anybody to supply another car that is "more " cool...not gonna happen...

dino

604 definitely not. I don't want to offend anyone, but it is not a cool car at all. It has its merits, rides well, handles ok, is very very comfortable, but it is far from cool.

A 605 isn't necessarily cool either. It is stately. Stately is NOT cool.

For cool I would turn to Italy, to be honest. There's plenty of examples there. Lancias, certain Alfas, like the GTV and some Maseratis, perhaps.

If you want "manly", obviously Dino needs that, as he lacks confidence in himself, you have to turn to Britain. The Rover SD1, but even the P6, manage to harness sweeping lines, timeless elegance, and coolness, whilst still maintaining a level of aggressive masculinity that a Citroen could NEVER pull off.

Patrick patrick patrick...what are we going to do with you...

How can you say that the 604 isnt cool...I understand that your Dutch upbringing isnt going to help much here...but surely even the dutch understand basic "coolness" concepts... and how can you say the SD1 is cool...FFS even the brits admit that it has to be one of the crappiest cars ever built...they leak and constantly break down...this isnt cool... and it isnt manly...standing in pouring rain in the middle of nowhere isnt cool...well ok it can be if you are wearing a thin shirt and you are soaking wet and its a hot night and ...but thats another story altogether....

dino

I think you guys are on the right track!

But the coolest euro is not the 604! It's the origin of the 604!

It's 504!

504 has everything that 604 has. Even the same front doors ;) And you have a loads of different models to choose!
But personally I like my 504 the most(with me in it!)

504_retro.jpg

If that does not give you the aspect of the coolness you want, 504 can do another things as well!

I only have a bad example at the moment but before summer my 504 Wagon is going to be coolest thing ever. Theres not going to be anything like it. It's going to be the same 504 green as well!

Here's the bad example of my 7 seater monster! :)
img2685283.jpg

Last edited:
I think the 504 is a cool car...this is undeniable...but I dont think its cooler then the 604...why?
well...first...its smaller...so doing that whole 12 to 12 or 12 after 12 if you are left hand drive is just not that easy to do in a 504....
second...that V6...mostly, people assume the 504 is living on 4 cylinders and this isnt cool...we need bigger numbers if we are going to be cool..ideally it would be a v8...but we are talking euro cool...so V6 is just fine...
and we need a big boot....big boots are cool...Im not talking P76 big or 760 big...you know...just normal..large enough to carry a body but small enough to be sexy and hide dual exhausts...
504 doesnt have boot...well it did...but then some designer simply cut it off...this isnt cool..its just not right...why would somebody cut out the boot....makes the 504 look "cute"...this isnt what we want...we want "hard edged"...strong lines...you have to admit it...504 is to feminine...which is ok if you shave twice a day like I do...its a good car for "bond" girls...but not something james would choose...and that brings us to the ASTON...

Now Astons are cool...but are they to pretentious...would a cx driver feel comfortable in an aston...if answer is NO...then surely it can not be cooler than a 604...???

Is this the coolest euro??? possibly... :wink2: :confused: if you can forgive the wire wheels

Aston.dbs.vantage.750pix.jpg

and what of the dino...

Fiat_Dino_2000_coupe_1968_r3q.JPG

I still think the 604 is at the top...it isnt a pretender like the others...

dino

Haha. True! but you can get a 504 with v6! And 504 break is much much bigger than 604 ! More boot and rear seat leg room than 604 ever have! But I get your point :) For me, 604 styling doesn't bite. Opinions,opinions ;)

Cool is not a well defined term so no one will ever agree on what it means.

The 604 has a look that is understated, possibly graceful, discreet, considered, competent but with a bit of a hard edge to it.

The DS is a lot more flamboyant and BMWs and Mercs downright vulgar and too obvious by comparison.

I think this is why the 604 was such a good diplomatic car for the French as it sends just the right quiet, courteous, but don't F%&# with me statement that a diplomat would have wanted to send 35 years ago.

I think that there is something slightly evil looking about CXs, which I like. French gangster maybe.

My 404 Coupé Injection is cool. A bit flash and a bit common sense, it's a potent mix.

The 604 was criticised by the press at its introduction for being so plain looking but I kind of like its understated looks. It's classic like a 404 sedan is a classic. The 504 is more disctinctive though, no-one dared copy its arse end.

I kind of have to agree with Dino. A clean 604, lowered slightly, from the front is just as cool as ice.

Understated, but really looks the business with it's wiide track and the slim, sleek front end sitting just above the road, looks great.

Understated, but really looks the business with it's wiide track and the slim, sleek front end sitting just above the road, looks great.

I agree the slim front end is cool.
Now if it fitted and matched the rest of the car, and the panels looked like thew were all designed by the same designer, and the wheel track was a bit wider at the rear, it would be sort of cool, in the same way an old italian man with horn rimmed glasses and pants pulled up to his under arms sipping a short black in Stanley street is sort of cool.

When i look at the fiats that have been compared to to car, I dont see any of that mismatch that the pug has.
I guess the italians just design facades better than the french, and I'd bet resale prices reflect this.

Jo